Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Donnyram said:

Not in Ipswich squad today.... seems to have gone very quiet on this one.  Any latest info??

Last that was reported was that he's close to signing for Boro and with Bamford now gone I imagine it'll be finished soon. We still have money to spend (Sky Sports pundits said Mel told them) so there's a small chance it's us, but with Vydra still here I doubt we'll bring in anymore forwards yet

I was a bit against us spending a lot of money on waghorn and I’m not saying we will. It’ll probably be boro I reckon. However the way we were playing yesterday i think would of been well suited to someone like him, especially in the first half where nugent was unable to hold the ball up. 

3 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Probably Boro. However the fact we have the number 9 shirt available and with what Mel said on Sky last night (Frank can still strengthen), can't help but feel we still might sign him.

That’s my thinking too. Also sort of feel like Boro have had the funds to buy him all summer, so surely if they were really in for him, they’d have done it by now? ?

6 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Probably Boro. However the fact we have the number 9 shirt available and with what Mel said on Sky last night (Frank can still strengthen), can't help but feel we still might sign him.

I still can't see us signing any more players to compete for that front 3, even more so after Bennett's cameo yesterday. We've got Wilson, Lawrence, Bennett, Thomas and FloJo for the wide spots and that obviously doesn't factor in Anya and Blackman who are still here. Then for the centre forward spot we have Marriott, Nugent, Vydra and Bennett and that's with excluding Martin and Jerome. So unless Vydra leaves or Frank decides we'll be using a formation with 2 strikers on occasion, I don't see us signing him, especially for such a huge fee. And if we do plan on using 2 up front at times this season I'd have thought Frank would have tested it during pre-season

If we have 3 attacking players on the bench (excluding Lawrence, Marriott and Wilson who're starting) then 2 from Nugent, Vydra, Thomas, FloJo and Bennett won't even make the match-day squad, so although Waghorn would be a good addition, I just can't see Frank or Mel justifying that big of a fee when we've already got so many options 

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

I still can't see us signing any more players to compete for that front 3, even more so after Bennett's cameo yesterday. We've got Wilson, Lawrence, Bennett, Thomas and FloJo for the wide spots and that obviously doesn't factor in Anya and Blackman who are still here. Then for the centre forward spot we have Marriott, Nugent, Vydra and Bennett and that's with excluding Martin and Jerome. So unless Vydra leaves or Frank decides we'll be using a formation with 2 strikers on occasion, I don't see us signing him, especially for such a huge fee. And if we do plan on using 2 up front at times this season I'd have thought Frank would have tested it during pre-season

If we have 3 attacking players on the bench (excluding Lawrence, Marriott and Wilson who're starting) then 2 from Nugent, Vydra, Thomas, FloJo and Bennett won't even make the match-day squad, so although Waghorn would be a good addition, I just can't see Frank or Mel justifying that big of a fee when we've already got so many options 

You don't leave the number 9 free if you're not planning on signing someone. It'd be absurd.

2 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

You don't leave the number 9 free if you're not planning on signing someone. It'd be absurd.

Why are numbers so important? Marriott stuck with his preferred number 14 and Martin isn't going to be involved in the first team picture. Maybe the numbers were decided weeks ago and they anticipated then that Vydra would be gone and we'd be bringing in someone like Waghorn so left it free? 

Can’t believe peeps are happy with the striker options.

In the wide attacking areas we are fine, but we literally have Marriott and Nugent who are capable of playing down the middle. The latter struggled massively last night and will struggle for fitness post crimbo. He’s 33 and relys massively on chasing down play.

Jerome will likely leave in the coming days, Blackman I’m hoping (or rather praying) is out the door ASAP. Martin doesn’t seem to have a future and can see him going in some capacity.

Plenty of wide options, not much down the middle IMO. Can still see Vydra leaving too

25 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Can’t believe peeps are happy with the striker options.

In the wide attacking areas we are fine, but we literally have Marriott and Nugent who are capable of playing down the middle. The latter struggled massively last night and will struggle for fitness post crimbo. He’s 33 and relys massively on chasing down play.

Jerome will likely leave in the coming days, Blackman I’m hoping (or rather praying) is out the door ASAP. Martin doesn’t seem to have a future and can see him going in some capacity.

Plenty of wide options, not much down the middle IMO. Can still see Vydra leaving too

So what about Marriott as our main man when he's fit?

Vydra will be here when the window closes, also seems likely he will be in the team too. 

I actually think it’s a good thing the window closes early, it will give us more clarity going into the season. I’d imagine the loan period until the end of August could see the likes of Blackman, Anya leave. 

I think we’re waiting on Tammy Abraham for the number 9 shirt, personally. 

20 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Vydra will be here when the window closes, also seems likely he will be in the team too. 

I actually think it’s a good thing the window closes early, it will give us more clarity going into the season. I’d imagine the loan period until the end of August could see the likes of Blackman, Anya leave. 

Agree, too much of a coincidence: Abraham’s at Chelsea, not gone anywhere yet, frank & jody connected to Chelsea & our No 9 shirt is vacant. Not too hard to draw a conclusion!!! ?

23 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I too am clinging on to that hope ????????

24 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Less time for the usual speculative tripe and #ITK bilge that seems to masquerade as topics for discussion too.

Archived