World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

47 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

I can see the logic to rotating. Realistically all of our hopes lie on Kane's finishing and Trippier's set pieces so if they'd played yesterday and got injured, we'd struggle whether playing Colombia or Japan.

Don't think anyone did enough to break into the first XI yesterday, other than maybe Rose (offers more width than Young). Delph could get a start as well if we play two defensive midfielders. Thought Dier was appalling.

Rose showed niaivity in letting the one trick pony cut in on his stronger foot for a shoot. It’s clearly your weakest position for me... i’d Probably be tempted to slot Delph in there instead. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Rose showed niaivity in letting the one trick pony cut in on his stronger foot for a shoot. It’s clearly your weakest position for me... i’d Probably be tempted to slot Delph in there instead. 

I think Delph would be fine as a left-back in a back 4, but he's probably not good enough going forward to play the wing-back role in the current 5-3-2

Sky Sports rated Dier a 5/10 and said defensively he did well enough but just didn't give England that drive that Henderson does. 

"Well enough". When? Where? When was he even in an ok position never mind a good one. 

When you lose the midfield like that it makes it difficult for anyone and I thought both full backs did well to get the ball anywhere near Vardy and Co as often as they did.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Sky Sports rated Dier a 5/10 and said defensively he did well enough but just didn't give England that drive that Henderson does. 

"Well enough". When? Where? When was he even in an ok position never mind a good one. 

When you lose the midfield like that it makes it difficult for anyone and I thought both full backs did well to get the ball anywhere near Vardy and Co as often as they did.

I completely agree with this point. I found it incredibly frustrating how he pretty much hid behind a Belgian player every time we were in possession. Always seemed to take the backwards/safe option too. 

Perhaps people will stop underrating Henderson so much now. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

According to Opta, not a single tackle or interception during the game. FFS, he's defensive midfielder.

Standards for "Well enough" for Sky Sports experts are....erm... interesting.

Don't know how anyone can really be critical of England's squad rotation.  Give the first XI a rest in a tiring tournament at the end of a long season.  Keep the rest of the squad happy and feeling involved which can't hurt if those players will be needed later on.  Knowing that the result didn't matter one way or the other, surely this was too good an opportunity to be missed. Obviously both Southgate and Martinez thought so.  It's rare enough to have that luxury at a major tournament. 

Looking at the draw after the group stages. and at how England's first XI are playing as well at how unimpressive the progress of most of the other major contenders has been. if I were an England fan I'd be delighted right now and feeling very optimistic.

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

I’m further convinced George would be in this squad if it wasn’t for his injuries. 

7 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Funniest post of the world cup. Well done 

Mind you, I keep going back to that ducking Zamora goal. If we’d have been promoted then, we’d be established by now, Will and George would have been premier league regulars, still with us, and I reckon they probably would both be in the squad by now. 

11 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Funniest post of the world cup. Well done 

It’s the if my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle debate. We can’t go off hypothetical scenarios. 

If Ronaldo Nazario has never got injured he’d be the best play ever. Fact is that he did get injuries and therefore he’s not the best player ever.

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

It’s the if my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle debate. We can’t go off hypothetical scenarios. 

If Ronaldo Nazario has never got injured he’d be the best play ever. Fact is that he did get injuries and therefore he’s not the best player ever.

Well no, because the argument’s there… before his knee blew up he completely redefined how centre-forwards play and scored roughly a goal a game in doing so…

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

I’ve seen muppets out there call Colombia a poor team, setting it up perfectly for the inevitable failure against them. Show more respect to your opponents.

I'm quietly confident that some muppet on a message board saying Colombia are crap won't find its way to Southgate and the lads who then think they're through and set off on a 3-day bender. 

2 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'm quietly confident that some muppet on a message board saying Colombia are crap won't find its way to Southgate and the lads who then think they're through and set off on a 3-day bender. 

So you're saying that the England players and manager's mindset has somehow changed for this tournament?

Let's hope so.

40 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

The first thing that I saw after clicking on the  sky sports website:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/15205/11421170/colombia-are-poor-and-englands-path-is-clear-to-the-semi-finals-says-paul-merson

Archived