World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

Just now, McLovin said:

China, USA and India have a population of billions of people and how many world class players are they producing? I know football isn’t their national sport but having more people doesn’t mean any country should have an entitled right.

You answered your own question. We massively under perform for saying we have the most influential league in the world in our country, and we have a big population. That isn't good enough on our behalf.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Croatia is a country of 4 million people. Belgium of 11 million people. Surely we should be asking, why are our players SO much worse than theirs, considering we have 5 or 10 times their population? 

Possibly because most of our youth are more interested spouting rubbish on the internet?

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Croatia is a country of 4 million people. Belgium of 11 million people. Surely we should be asking, why are our players SO much worse than theirs, considering we have 5 or 10 times their population? 

Thought you were the poster who was going to enjoy this World Cup because it's either "excess doom and gloom"? Hasn't taken much for you to join the England bashers.

Typical!

6 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

They’ll all be bringing through new players who have to learn - ours will benefit from this experience & remain ahead

Keep the faith brother - have some positive vibes!!

At least Aldi and Lidl won’t shut early now on Sunday! That’s as positive as I can be (until August 4th) 

21 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

Really missed Oxlade Chamberlain this World Cup more than people might have thought 6 months ago. Way he finished season for Liverpool & was growing into England team means he might be even more important to England than dele Alli

Yeh the ox’s injury seems to have gone under the radar. Whilst Alli and Lingard are very good with their work rate off the ball, the ox’s dribbling abilities can open up even the most compact of defences as he can get the ball from deep and just run with it.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

They're not 'SO' much worse than theirs, literally nobody has said that. We've said they've got some real quality compared to our young and developing team. Ironically the best player for Croatia made his name in the PL, the majority of the Belgium team play in which division do you think? Doesn't do much for our youngsters surely. 

I don't really see much into the population debate. Why aren't China, India and the USA dominating world football? 1.3 BILLION people in China. Germany have 82 million people in their country, do you think they'll be scrapping their footballing system because Croatia and Belgium are currently better than them? I don't. 

The worst thing about all of this is we have so much sadness as league supporters too. We're getting ass blasted from multiple angles.

In all seriousness though, I'll be more or less happy about the overall experience once I've slept for 2 weeks solid.

I hope this semi-final place doesn’t raise expectations ahead of Euro 2020. We need to recognise what we are and where we are, and that’s still a work in progress.

If we try and claim this is another golden generation, we’ll be setting ourselves up for failure from the off.

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Some interesting post match tactical chat between bilic and hoddle. 

Pointed to Croatia being surprised by England formation and taking 1st half to work it out.

Then when they adapted,  we didn't - or couldn't - respond. 

A very interesting point. Does Gareth Southgate have the tactical awareness and in-game skills to adapt? Or is it that this time he just didn't have versatile enough players ?

i think there were tactical mistakes made in the second half.  Croatia were allowed too much time on the ball and every chance their players got they slowed to a jog or walk to conserve energy.  Croatia had just gone through 12ö minutes and needed to conserve energy when available and England handed them that opportunity.  Croatia had more in the tank in extra time when they shouldn't have.  i think it cost England having a relatively easy run in to the match, the fitness wasn't there when needed.  England are just as good as Croatia and if it's any consolation i predict Croatia will beat France.

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

By that logic why aren't China, USA, Indonesia and India the 4 teams in the semi final? 

Don’t think you can class this is a failure at all. This tournament has been far beyond our expectations and hopes. While everything is devastating at the moment, when we look back at this I think we’ll realise how much we’ve achieved. We may not have won, but this team has restored honour and pride to a broken footballing nation. It may be slow progress but I think we’ll rebuild now and we’ll get better with the youth coming through. For the first time in a while I have real hope about England, and I genuinely think we’ll win something soon.

An opportunity lost indeed, but this a new generation, and one with great promise at the moment. 

Just now, adamscybot said:

The worst thing about all of this is we have so much sadness as league supporters too. We're getting ass blasted from multiple angles.

In all seriousness though, I'll be more or less happy about the overall experience once I've slept for 2 weeks solid.

Dunno like...

Iceland was an 'ass blasting'. 

Finishing bottom in 2014 was too. 2012 and 2010 so forgettable. I'll take tournaments like this over most we've experienced in the last 50 years! 

Just now, McLovin said:

At least I can relax and enjoy the World Cup final now and appreciate the brilliance of Modric, Rakitic, Mbappe, Griezmann, Pogba etc without getting stressed. That’s a positive. 

Normally we'd be saying this two weeks previous too.. not with one game left to go! 

10 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Pathetic innit. Self-entitled, one-eyed bullshizzle. Same people always looking to tell folk why they idiots for taking any joy from the team. Does my duckin head in. If you don't like the result, fair enough but why always be p!ssing on everyone else's chips?

I just don't get the logic.

If England are crap, and let's assume they are because they have 2 appearances at this stage in their history, 0 European Championships and have a poor record in knockout stages, then how would you expect them to beat Colombia, Sweden and Croatia? 

If they aren't crap and you expect them to be beating the likes of these teams then surely you put this down as an off day, like has happened to the last 3 world champions for example, and you don't go OTT slagging the team off.

It's like saying Derby should not be finishing below clubs like Stoke. Even though clearly Stoke have been playing at a better level. You can hope for it but expecting it makes no sense. 

A world cup semi final defeat in extra time to Croatia. Scoring 12 goals with our striker winning the golden boot (fingers crossed) with a young team. It's a bar steward and a great chance but Spain and Co didn't get eliminated because they missed a flight. These great sides missed an opportunity too. Quicker than we did.

Southgate just needs to keep transitioning the younger players into the senior squad - most if not all of this side will be good for the Euros and the next World Cup. On top of that hopefully more of the U17s and U20s will be breaking through into their club sides so that Southgate has more options. One thing that has been noticeable, from the Belgium game and the subs, we haven't got great strength in depth yet. 

Archived