World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

My point is, nobody would criticise them if they won. Not one person. It's completely false. Yet losing to Croatia, who are a nothing side, leaves them open and deserving of criticism. The England players just had to hold their nerve, but they couldn't do that.

Open and deserving from criticism from people like you. It's all or nothing, right? Any excuse to slag someone off?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Because you gain absolutely nothing from winning. 

And that's false. Derby can be successful by gaining promotion, winning the Championship, doing well in cups, qualifying for Europe etc. Don't compare club and Country football, but it's incomparable. We gain absolutely nothing from losing in semis, other than the odd person claiming it is okay, because at least we didn't go out in groups like last time, as if that's an achievement. 

We obviously have different measures of success and what can be considered a positive tournament then.

I wasn’t expecting a “successful” tournament by your definition of the sense. But I still thoroughly enjoyed the ride, and I’m still no less proud of a side who I personally believe have given their everything. Ok it wasn’t enough in the end, but I have a positive feeling about our national side again for the first time in about 12 years.

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

Open and deserving from criticism from people like you. It's all or nothing, right? Any excuse to slag someone off?

Yes, from people like me. And from anyone else who wants to criticise, seeing as it is a free country. Ultimately, we failed. That's the issue.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Credit for losing an easily winnable game. Credit for wasting a great opportunity for a final. Credit for throwing away a 1-0 lead. Credit for going out, but at least we have a smiley manager right? 

I wonder if you will feel embarrassed by all this in the morning.

Or when you get past puberty.

Just now, Kernow said:

We obviously have different measures of success and what can be considered a positive tournament then.

I wasn’t expecting a “successful” tournament by your definition of the sense. But I still thoroughly enjoyed the ride, and I’m still no less proud of a side who I personally believe have given their everything. Ok it wasn’t enough in the end, but I have a positive feeling about our national side again for the first time in about 12 years.

Clearly we do. What is the point in competing in the euros or the world cup if you're not playing to win? Quarters or semis, that isn't enough. We should either play to win, or just not bother. Don't know why you're proud of a team who was as much as a failure as the 2014 side etc, the only team we should be proud of was the 1966 team who actually won it. The Germans don't come in to lose. The Brazilians don't either. So why do we? 

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

I wonder if you will feel embarrassed by all this in the morning.

Or when you get past puberty.

Hilarious joke. Keep up the 10/10 banter buddy. I won't. I'll still feel the same shame of England I feel tonight. 

Just now, Kernow said:

That's a massive achievement actually. I mean it should go without saying we should be passionate about the national team but i cant even begin to describe how apathetic i was towards them. Now i feel like a dirty glory supporter because they got far in the competition and I care again.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yes, from people like me. And from anyone else who wants to criticise, seeing as it is a free country. Ultimately, we failed. That's the issue.

Why don't you go and smash a taxi up in Nottingham to get your obvious frustrations out 

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

My point is, nobody would criticise them if they won. Not one person. It's completely false. Yet losing to Croatia, who are a nothing side, leaves them open and deserving of criticism. The England players just had to hold their nerve, but they couldn't do that.

A nothing side?  They had a much more difficult run in than England did.  They are into the finals of the World Cup.  They have a solid unit of a team and it's the best teams that get the farthest in any competition, not the best players, although it can be said that Modric is the world's best midfielder.  England got tactically beaten from a formidable side, it's something to learn and improve from, not whine about.

4 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

I'm certainly not looking for excuses, I think we blew it really. But ive not seen anyone mention the first goal - free kick for a high foot anywhere else on the pitch?

High foot doesn’t seem to count in the area, otherwise they would have disallowed all bicycle kicks ever scored.

I also thought it looked a clear foul. And it would have been anywhere else on the pitch.

Just now, ramit said:

A nothing side?  They had a much more difficult run in than England did.  They are into the finals of the World Cup.  They have a solid unit of a team and it's the best teams that get the farthest in any competition, not the best players, although it can be said that Modric is the world's best midfielder.  England got tactically beaten from a formidable side, it's something to learn and improve from, not whine about.

They absolutely did not have a more difficult run than England. Colombia and Sweden are much more difficult than Denmark and Russia. That's just obvious. That had a group that was on paper hard, but Iceland didn't really show up, Argentina were awful, and Nigeria were average. I don't consider Croatia a formidable side. I consider England to have played poorly.

They’re already comparing this England team to Germany’s 2010 World Cup squad.

You know, the one which had Ozil, Muller, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Boateng and Khedira all in their early twenties and smashing the likes of Argentina 4-0 and England 4-1.

This sort of hype will only damage us long-term.

Just now, Inglorius said:

I agree. Your ramblings would more lend you to being a pre pubescent teenager whose had their first pint of cider.

Ah you're another one calling me twelve. Excellent. PS: I'm not actually twelve. 

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

High foot doesn’t seem to count in the area, otherwise they would have disallowed all bicycle kicks ever scored.

I also thought it looked a clear foul. And it would have been anywhere else on the pitch.

I tend to think if you've got space to do an overhead kick go for it, but if you end up kicking or almost kicking someone in the head it's dangerous play and it should be a free kick (Not a booking though).

I certainly don't want two see overhead kicks banned from the game though. Imagine watching Bale score against Liverpool and wanting to rule it out!

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

They absolutely did not have a more difficult run than England. Colombia and Sweden are much more difficult than Denmark and Russia. That's just obvious. That had a group that was on paper hard, but Iceland didn't really show up, Argentina were awful, and Nigeria were average. I don't consider Croatia a formidable side. I consider England to have played poorly.

But it's not obvious.  Russia is holding the competition, that's always a strong play and they had played very well up until the Croatia game.  Will you hold to your opinion if Croatia lift the trophy?  What will you think of France then?

Archived