World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very comfortable game. Kinda boring tbh, as happy as I am. Was never nervous, always felt like a foregone conclusion.

Semi-Final will be something else though, a strong midfield is something we have not faced in our opposition yet and with Luka Modric and Rakitic, Croatia certainly have that. Assuming they get past Russia.

If Russia get through, then we have to contend with the unpredictable home-field advantage.

Either way, a much tougher game.

Thought the BBC coverage was outstanding today, prematch stuff was brilliant, and the Bobby Robson bit at the end ?

38 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Harry Maguire is a monster

Henderson is inch perfect nearly all the time positionally

The back 3 are an intelligent unit

Trippier is... I dunno, just wow. Wow wow. 

And Kane... ?

Tougher tests to come but if they don't win the World Cup at least they've won people over. It's been a long time since there wasn't a negative atmosphere around the national side and rightly so. Friendlies that players don't want to play in and players we're told are worth 200k per week getting beat by Iceland. 

This should ignite the passion and pride. 

This is what I want Derby to be. Young and hungry and got everything to prove. Not old and been there and plodding along. You can forgive mistakes when it's a team made up of players that are still growing up. Less so when it's allegedly complete players who are "The best in the world"

Well said Alpha.

Im not going even have a dig at Sterling cod he ran his socks off, as did Lingard. They covered so much ground.

The beeb had it right, this team mirrored the manager, very unassuming and getting more likeable by the game, whatever happens next.

2 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Well said Alpha.

Im not going even have a dig at Sterling cod he ran his socks off, as did Lingard. They covered so much ground.

The beeb had it right, this team mirrored the manager, very unassuming and getting more likeable by the game, whatever happens next.

If we lose in the semis, so be it but I love this team and their manager. They have conducted themselves wonderfully.

8 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Well said Alpha.

Think even though Sterling is desperate to impress and having a bad time he still adds to the team.

Watching him and Kane play alongside each other and then they split as one drops and the other one goes is a delight. BBC talked about Sterling being unpredictable but so is Kane. He's happy for Sterling to borrow his position. 

You look through the team now and there's no real weak link anymore. They might not be as good as Spain, Belgium, Brazil, France, Argentina individually but they match them all as a unit. 

You can see the organisation by the way any player can begin ranting like a leader at another player who's not doing his job. The back 3 are well rehearsed. The wing backs are confident in the back 3. Henderson plays near perfect defensively and not too shabby on the ball. Kane and Sterling understand the distribution from the back and Lingard and Alli are free to do whatever. 

It seems to all start with those back 3. Maguire, Stones and Walker. None near the best in the world at their position but Southgate has them playing like they are lifelong partners. 

Pleasure to watch aren't they. Can be untidy but always always trying the right things. 

(Until Dier comes on with his negative play and awful positioning) 

18 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

If we lose in the semis, so be it but I love this team and their manager. They have conducted themselves wonderfully.

It’s noticeable that the absence of the showbiz WAGs and superstar players has improved team morale. Amazing what putting football first can achieve. 

I'm actually more excited for tonight's game than this afternoon's.

If Croatia produce a masterclass and beat Russia well - then I'm worried. If it's close, or if Russia win, then a world cup final surely awaits!

Another professional performance.

After watching Belgium battle through against Brazil and England cruise through today, how can anyone question possibly suggest finishing top of the group would have been the better option.

England have an enormous chance of not only reaching the final, beat reaching the final in much better shape physically than France or Belgium who have undoubtedly had tougher games.

Archived