Determine the style of Football at Derby

Curtains

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Well Jody Morris comes with a good reputation from his work with Chelsea youth. He may be able to help us dig out some youngsters that he's encountered. 

I think any rookie manager is exciting and scary in equal measure but everyone started somewhere and there's plenty of young managers doing great things. 

Besides, the worst manager we've had in about 10 years was Nigel Pearson who was also the most qualified at this level. 

Has Pearson had a management job since.  

Very strange really and Chris Powell really rated him .

Like you say it’s both exciting and scary with a rookie manager.

The only thing that worries me is that Frank and Jody have to assess the squad all over again from scratch.

Like for example the Mason Bennett conundrum or the Richard Keogh/ Chris Martin / Craig Bryson and Jacob Butterfield situations along with Sam Winnall  and  Nick Blackman etc 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, curtains said:

Has Pearson had a management job since.  

Very strange really and Chris Powell really rated him .

Like you say it’s both exciting and scary with a rookie manager.

The only thing that worries me is that Frank and Jody have to assess the squad all over again from scratch.

Like for example the Mason Bennett conundrum or the Richard Keogh/ Chris Martin / Craig Bryson and Jacob Butterfield situations along with Sam Winnall  and  Nick Blackman etc 

He managed someone abroad didn't he?

Some clubs fit. At the end of the day all we see is 90 mins of a teams week. The social aspect is huge and we see none of these people's working relationship. I suppose a lot can go wrong in there.

Yeah, we are going to have to be patient but anyone would have to go through the same process. With Lampard I expect us to look totally clueless at times but I hope we grow together.

We would all love promotion tomorrow but as we've seen it easy to miss out whether you have an experienced manager or an open cheque book or even both. Fingers and toes crossed

6 hours ago, curtains said:

I find that exciting to be honest. Players that looked useless under former managers have thrived under a change in manager and vice versa. Who knows what he'll get out of certain players? We'd all but written off Vydra a year ago and he won the golden boot under Gary Two Shots. 

As others have said, sometimes it’s not the system you play, but the way you play it. 

I do think there is an element of impatience in the modern footballing fan that can’t wait the 1/2 a season that a team needs to gel and work out how to be the ‘team’ that they’re trying to be. And no more so than at Derby.

We have such a Smorgasbord of a team in terms of playing staff, and most of them have had to adapt to the best part of 6 managers’ ways of doing things with sometimes 3 different formations in 1 season.

I’d like us to go for the Brighton way of doing it. Pick a system, doesn’t matter which (although I personally like a 3-5-2, and I think we currently have the personnel for it without too much chopping and changing) and just stick to it and get better at it. Allow the players at least 1/2 a season to gel into their position/style/partnerships and aim to be up in 3 seasons (but hopefully 2) with a team that is ever sophisticating itself.

Improve over time. Don’t just chop and change every time a player has a bad game. It’s really reactionary.

It seems absurd to me that we spent so much money on Anya and Johnson and yet neither of them have had a run in the team in the same position, gelling a partnership with the same players around them, asked to do the same job for anything close to 10 games on the spin.

Theyre clearly not bad players. They’ve proved it elsewhere.

Even if we have to sell some of our better players, we still have a better squad than most of the rest of the championship so let’s hope Frankie has a style that he can galvanize into and we stick with it for a couple of ever improving seasons.

6 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

I find that exciting to be honest. Players that looked useless under former managers have thrived under a change in manager and vice versa. Who knows what he'll get out of certain players? We'd all but written off Vydra a year ago and he won the golden boot under Gary Two Shots. 

Players are all different but the likes of Vydra has always had quality the likes of Blackman Anya never have had just a few decent moments in time and as you have said people wrote Vydra off which was foolish just like many wrote Martin off and to my mind they are both perfect to play together and when played effectively I couldnt think of a team that wouldn’t want two twenty goal forwards in thier team and we don’t have to buy them!

17 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Playing personal affects the ability to play certain styles but it’s never an excuse for tactics that aren’t conducive to long term success. We have enough players to play a proper game, and enough players to seek to raise funds to improve the situation. The players we have are capable on the whole.

Surely the ability of players determines how much you follow your preferred tactics.For example no point in playing a pressing game if you have a team of slow players

2 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

As others have said, sometimes it’s not the system you play, but the way you play it. 

I do think there is an element of impatience in the modern footballing fan that can’t wait the 1/2 a season that a team needs to gel and work out how to be the ‘team’ that they’re trying to be. And no more so than at Derby.

We have such a Smorgasbord of a team in terms of playing staff, and most of them have had to adapt to the best part of 6 managers’ ways of doing things with sometimes 3 different formations in 1 season.

I’d like us to go for the Brighton way of doing it. Pick a system, doesn’t matter which (although I personally like a 3-5-2, and I think we currently have the personnel for it without too much chopping and changing) and just stick to it and get better at it. Allow the players at least 1/2 a season to gel into their position/style/partnerships and aim to be up in 3 seasons (but hopefully 2) with a team that is ever sophisticating itself.

Improve over time. Don’t just chop and change every time a player has a bad game. It’s really reactionary.

It seems absurd to me that we spent so much money on Anya and Johnson and yet neither of them have had a run in the team in the same position, gelling a partnership with the same players around them, asked to do the same job for anything close to 10 games on the spin.

Theyre clearly not bad players. They’ve proved it elsewhere.

Even if we have to sell some of our better players, we still have a better squad than most of the rest of the championship so let’s hope Frankie has a style that he can galvanize into and we stick with it for a couple of ever improving seasons.

To be honest I’ve never.really thought we have a better squad than most of the Championship

I think we have a squad of players that have played to their abilities which has fallen short. 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Players are all different but the likes of Vydra has always had quality the likes of Blackman Anya never have had just a few decent moments in time and as you have said people wrote Vydra off which was foolish just like many wrote Martin off and to my mind they are both perfect to play together and when played effectively I couldnt think of a team that wouldn’t want two twenty goal forwards in thier team and we don’t have to buy them!

I have no doubt Martin would bring more attacking players into the game with his clever passing. 

The issue is how to get the ball to Martin in the first place.  He is slow and easy to mark and that has been apparent in his loan spells.  

He is looking a spent force. I like him as a player but he needs a remarkable turnaround in his fortune to pursue his career in the championship. 

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I have no doubt Martin would bring more attacking players into the game with his clever passing. 

The issue is how to get the ball to Martin in the first place.  He is slow and easy to mark and that has been apparent in his loan spells.  

All his career he has been 'slow and easy to mark', something I disagree with btw - so how come he scored and set up so many goals previously? It's as sparkles says, it's about playing to your players strengths.

I thought it looked like Martin and Lawrence were getting a bit of an understanding going.

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

All his career he has been 'slow and easy to mark', something I disagree with btw - so how come he scored and set up so many goals previously? It's as sparkles says, it's about playing to your players strengths.

I thought it looked like Martin and Lawrence were getting a bit of an understanding going.

He played well at Barnsley away when given a start and he was never given a chance again totally bizarre.

3 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

Managers don’t like players who are cleverer than them

Why did Jose Mourinho like Lampard so much? 

4 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

Managers don’t like players who are cleverer than them

Oh stop it. 

Each manager has a different way of playing, some players fit that style, others don't, those that don't find themselves out of favour, that's football. 

If Martin doesn't find himself in Lampard's plans it won't be as he's "cleverer" than him.

Ok lets call it malleable. On what we have seen and on paper (using a phrase form over Island) ..  Lamps is a more intelligent person, he will know that it will need a different management style to hopefully get the best from all of his players. Of course if the face doesn`t fit or you are seen as a bad apple or poor influence you will be out. But i don`t see Lamps as one dimensional like for example Pearson/Rowett

30 minutes ago, David said:

Oh stop it. 

Each manager has a different way of playing, some players fit that style, others don't, those that don't find themselves out of favour, that's football. 

If Martin doesn't find himself in Lampard's plans it won't be as he's "cleverer" than him.

I assumed he meant Martin is 'cleverer' than Rowett? 

34 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

No one in our squad is anywhere as intelligent a footballer as Lampard- he was world class at his peak, none of our players will reach those levels 

only because lampard was world class doesnt mean our players cant be more clever, look at eddie howe he has never been world class but as a manager he is very good because he knows how! only because lampard had the talent to do it with his feet and well as his head! 

Archived