Determine the style of Football at Derby

Curtains

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, curtains said:

Back on topic I assume the Lampard style will be more akin to Dutch total football as McClaren played at Derby. 

Man City and Barca play the type of Football most would admire but I stress you need the right players with skill and guile to achieve this  

Agreed and here in lies the problem. For all the criticism (unfair imo) of Rowett, it could be argued he was playing to the strengths and weaknesses the players available to him.

If as some have alluded to, we are opting for youth, and then we try to win games playing like a top six Premier team... the outcome will likely be, DCFC becoming a bottom six championship team. 

27 minutes ago, europia said:

Agreed and here in lies the problem. For all the criticism (unfair imo) of Rowett, it could be argued he was playing to the strengths and weaknesses the players available to him.

If as some have alluded to, we are opting for youth, and then we try to win games playing like a top six Premier team... the outcome will likely be, DCFC becoming a bottom six championship team. 

I don’t think people understand this concept though. 

They think we will storm the league with the Academy players. 

I am sure MM doesn’t understand this either .

I am hoping to be proved wrong. 

44 minutes ago, europia said:

He chose them - he ignored some, bought others. He chose how to play.

48 minutes ago, europia said:

Not sure I can agree with that...he often seemed unable to grasp what the strengths of several players were and was unable to adapt....he seemed to ram square pegs into round holes constantly.

i think we have the talent in the squad to do well,even without a lot of players coming in to be honest,especially if lampard is planning to bring back free flowing football which suits them.

add in some well chosen youth and there's no reason we can't move on and be entertained at the same time,whilst building for the future.

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Not sure I can agree with that...he often seemed unable to grasp what the strengths of several players were and was unable to adapt....he seemed to ram square pegs into round holes constantly.

i think we have the talent in the squad,even without a lot of players coming in to be honest,especially if lampard is planning to bring back free flowing football which suits them.

We will soon find out. 

1 hour ago, europia said:

Depends, Clough had us playing football as early as 12/13, McClaren tweaked it the season after. Bournemouth played football from League One to the Premier League with pretty much the same players. 

9 hours ago, curtains said:

I don’t think people understand this concept though. 

They think we will storm the league with the Academy players. 

I am sure MM doesn’t understand this either .

I am hoping to be proved wrong. 

Who does? Who thinks that? 

You'd think we'd sacked Rowett the way some are up his arse. 

He packed his bags and went to manage Stoke. Can you let that sink in? A few posts on dcfcfans didn't get him sacked. Mel didn't decide that giving Brentford 80% of the ball was a risky tactic. Rowett. Wasn't. Sacked.

He left. You know? Like walked out? Like resigned. By choice. He had Stoke or Derby and he chose Stoke.

Surely the penny will drop at some point 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

You'd think we'd sacked Rowett the way some are up his arse. 

He packed his bags and went to manage Stoke. Can you let that sink in? A few posts on dcfcfans didn't get him sacked. Mel didn't decide that giving Brentford 80% of the ball was a risky tactic. Rowett. Wasn't. Sacked.

He left. You know? Like walked out? Like resigned. By choice. He had Stoke or Derby and he chose Stoke.

Surely the penny will drop at some point 

Don’t you think he left for reasons that may become clearer in time.  

If you didn’t like your job would you stay. 

12 minutes ago, curtains said:

People think that they do they think the Academy is the holy grail. 

A magic wand will be waved across Pride Park and all will be well. 

Who? What people? I've seen nothing like that posted on here so you'll have to direct me to it. 

9 minutes ago, curtains said:

Don’t you think he left for reasons that may become clearer in time.  

If you didn’t like your job would you stay. 

No, I think he left for more money, more transfer budget and better players. The exact same reasons he applied for other jobs while at Birmingham.

It's funny, you wasn't saying this when McClaren went to Man United or was even linked with Newcastle. 

He didn't like his job? Let me guess, because of the criticism? 

If he can't handle criticism then he's in the wrong line of work and he will never ever manage a top club. Never. Criticism gets worse the higher you go.

You think Stoke fans will sit quietly if they aren't challenging top 6?

Whatever reason he left other than what I've stated... when will it become clear exactly?

15 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Who? What people? I've seen nothing like that posted on here so you'll have to direct me to it. 

No, I think he left for more money, more transfer budget and better players. The exact same reasons he applied for other jobs while at Birmingham.

It's funny, you wasn't saying this when McClaren went to Man United or was even linked with Newcastle. 

He didn't like his job? Let me guess, because of the criticism? 

If he can't handle criticism then he's in the wrong line of work and he will never ever manage a top club. Never. Criticism gets worse the higher you go.

You think Stoke fans will sit quietly if they aren't challenging top 6?

Whatever reason he left other than what I've stated... when will it become clear exactly?

I’m surmising of course but this is how I see it. 

Stoke get in touch with Gary through his agents asking if he may fancy the Stoke job because they can see he’s getting good results and has got Derby to 2nd in the table  .

His agents say no he is going to sign a new contract at Derby .

Derby only just manage to get to the playoffs after a bad January window .

They lose in the playoffs and Gary is told we have to tighten our belts  .

Gary is thinking well I’m getting flack at Derby about style of football and the sales of Hughes and Ince etc etc  

Stoke come in again and ask his agents  

Gary thinks what do I do stick it out at Derby with no money or move to parachute payment Stoke  

At that point he makes his decision   

Of course this is all conjecture 

Derby get Frank and Jody to work with the Academy and change playing systems and cut costs  

PS   McClaren didn’t get offered or didn’t sign a new contract at Derby after the Newcastle speculation so therefore Derby didn’t get 2 million compensation as they did with Gary leaving 

Steve was sacked Gary wasn’t I agree on that  

29 minutes ago, curtains said:

Gary thinks what do I do stick it out at Derby with no money or move to parachute payment Stoke  

Well why sign up in the first place then? We all knew last year that cut backs were on the horizon. Evident with the sales we made last summer. Dream job apparently. Enough for him to take a nice pay rise less than 6 months ago too. He started a project here that was never going to be finished in reality, just like at Burton and Blues.

The goings not even got tough yet and he's jumped ship. He spent near on 15 mill on players in his time here in a season, poor sod. He said he wanted a challenge on joining Stoke but all I can see is him running away from one.

Simon Jordan summed it up pretty well for me. Got no sympathy for GR. You can't make your own bed and then cry about being in it. He's out for number one unfortunately, which most are in this game. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Well why sign up in the first place then? We all knew last year that cut backs were on the horizon. Evident with the sales we made last summer. Dream job apparently. Enough for him to take a nice pay rise less than 6 months ago too. He started a project here that was never going to be finished in reality, just like at Burton and Blues.

The goings not even got tough yet and he's jumped ship. He spent near on 15 mill on players in his time here in a season, poor sod. He said he wanted a challenge on joining Stoke but all I can see is him running away from one.

Simon Jordan summed it up pretty well for me. Got no sympathy for GR. You can't make your own bed and then cry about being in it. He's out for number one unfortunately, which most are in this game. 

I would of made the same decision.

So he's done half a job and chose that year to replace good young players with old players with no resale value.

Brilliant. 

And I'm pretty sure when you talk to a club you talk about the long term so he knew what he was doing. 

Well before I thought he was a nice bloke and an average at best manager. Now I think he's a knob head and a terrible person to employ.

You've convinced me that him leaving is the best possible thing that could have happened.

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

So he's done half a job and chose that year to replace good young players with old players with no resale value.

Brilliant. 

And I'm pretty sure when you talk to a club you talk about the long term so he knew what he was doing. 

Well before I thought he was a nice bloke and an average at best manager. Now I think he's a knob head and a terrible person to employ.

You've convinced me that him leaving is the best possible thing that could have happened.

I’m also relieved he’s gone because we don’t have to talk about him anymore. 

Blessing in disguise for him also I’d say. 

Looking forward to your protestations about Frank and Jody. 

Hope they make you happy. 

On 04/06/2018 at 17:36, curtains said:

Has Pearson had a management job since.  

Very strange really and Chris Powell really rated him .

Like you say it’s both exciting and scary with a rookie manager.

The only thing that worries me is that Frank and Jody have to assess the squad all over again from scratch.

Like for example the Mason Bennett conundrum or the Richard Keogh/ Chris Martin / Craig Bryson and Jacob Butterfield situations along with Sam Winnall  and  Nick Blackman etc 

I don't actually think the whole squad needs assessing curtains....

Frank said that he's watched plenty of our games and think he knows already where things need to improve.

He will have formed an opinion on most of our squad i can imagine so doubt a full scale assessment is required but no doubt will be saying if you show the right attitude and apply yourself the door is still open.

That is not to say though that certain players who were not in favour with Rowett will now have a chance.

I got the immediate impression from Lampard that he's on the ball and can see him being quite astute and don't think he's the ponderous type

2 minutes ago, Saity said:

I don't actually think the whole squad needs assessing curtains....

Frank said that he's watched plenty of our games and think he knows already where things need to improve.

He will have formed an opinion on most of our squad i can imagine so doubt a full scale assessment is required but no doubt will be saying if you show the right attitude and apply yourself the door is still open.

That is not to say though that certain players who were not in favour with Rowett will now have a chance.

I got the immediate impression from Lampard that he's on the ball and can see him being quite astute and don't think he's the ponderous type

How many times have we had manager changes and the door is still open philosophy though mate .

Seems like certain players get chance after chance because of manager changes. 

Archived