Determine the style of Football at Derby

Curtains

39 minutes ago, ram59 said:

With the right quality of player, Rowett's type of football will work and can be entertaining. If you have fast skillful attacking players in the team, by sitting back allows them a lot of empty spaces to move into, not relying on the opposition to make a mistake. 

Definitely, agree with this. The squad was crying out for an energetic, ball-winning midfielder alongside Huddlestone who could win the ball deep, lay it off to Tom to spring a counter. I think if Gary was up for it, he could have created an exciting Derby team. It's a shame that he decided to jump ship instead, and that reflects poorly on him (IMO). 

Excited to see what a Frank Lampard team plays like though!  

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, desirelines said:

Definitely, agree with this. The squad was crying out for an energetic, ball-winning midfielder alongside Huddlestone who could win the ball deep, lay it off to Tom to spring a counter. I think if Gary was up for it, he could have created an exciting Derby team. It's a shame that he decided to jump ship instead, and that reflects poorly on him (IMO). 

Excited to see what a Frank Lampard team plays like though!  

Tried to get Keith but it didn’t happen ?

1 hour ago, curtains said:

Did Aston Villa play effective football last season for instance and how did Derby match up with their performance and ours against Fulham 

I believe if we had a grealish we would have been promoted. Although he may not have got many games, bar 10 minutes at the end. Roger cost us promotuon in the 3 months prior to May.  His career will i feel be one of promising much but delivering little. Last chance saloon at Stoke before the emperors clothes fall off.

9 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It's really time to let rowett go curtains...it's not as though anything more than 2 percent of the fan base is going to reminisce about his football,it was truly awful.

I place his tenureship marginally above Pearsons in terms of derby managers.

I have let him go but It’s not about that for me. 

I like to  understand what happened and I still don’t get it. 

This snake thing doesn’t resonate with me but I suppose I gave Mac a hard time even though I thought his pre Wembley stint was very good. 

Very interesting times at Derby and MM suddenly looks like the messiah for bringing Lampard in. 

Time will tell 

PS Football is mostly about the players as Harry Redknapp says. Good players win games and titles 

28 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

I believe if we had a grealish we would have been promoted. Although he may not have got many games, bar 10 minutes at the end. Roger cost us promotuon in the 3 months prior to May.  His career will i feel be one of promising much but delivering little. Last chance saloon at Stoke before the emperors clothes fall off.

Fair comment. The emperor didn't have any clothes as I recall.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

I tend to disagree after watching the last few years of attractive steady build up football, which when faced with a well drilled Rowett type team, can't break through and often get sucker punched. 

We scored 197 goals in 13/14 and 14/15. Six of those were in two games against Rowett teams, seven in four against Mick McCarthy’s Ipswich, four in three against Stuart Gray’s Sheffield Wednesday etcetera…

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think he's slightly more worthy of reminiscing to many fans than the rowettball merchant.

Either way, I think it’s time to move on ? 

2 hours ago, curtains said:

Rowett got the hoof ball / long ball game tag which was a bit unfair IMO . 

I saw England playing short and long ball game against Nigeria .

Surely effective football is the answer. 

Against Fulham Rowett adopted Coma Football, where we play so ineffective that hopefully the opposition slip into a coma and we Nick a second goal.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think he's slightly more worthy of reminiscing to many fans than the rowettball merchant.

Why not just speak for yourself Kash, eh? You don't get to determine who is and isn't worth reminiscing upon for anyone else, nor are you the guy to be telling ANYBODY else what they should be moving on from. Your hypocrisy is utterly astounding. 

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

I’m hoping Lampard can come up with a system that will make all Derby Fans happy.  His intentions will be good and he was a great player.  

Some of his aura must rub off surely 

No manager pleases everyone.

Criticism is part of the trade. 

It's easy to remember those games where we came unstuck using a fluid attacking system. We struggled against Boro and Wigan. But struggling against just a handful of teams is no reason to abandon a playing style altogether.

No team is perfect and will always come up against a system which they'd struggle against. Barca's best ever struggled against Inter and Chelsea for instance. But such systems are few and far between - it's nothing to worry about.

Under McClaren we had a system in place which would be enough to win 28-30 of 46 Championship games. That's all it takes for automatic promotion, so there was no need to call for plan B everytime we dropped points. Dropping points is inevitable.

Just to add, there are numerous ways and systems to win football matches. But under Rowett, we never ever looked to take control, and as such we never looked 'a league above' the opposition.

You only had to see how we featured against Fulham even at home. We played against Fulham at home the same way you'd expect us to play at home to Liverpool. They completely controlled the game. They looked like a good team, we looked like a battling struggler.

I remember games under Mac where we looked a league above the opposition. Like we were a PL side, and they were a Championship side. I haven't felt that way under any of our other managers since. Under Rowett half the time it was like we were set up to play a PL side away from home, rather than a fellow second tier team who were beneath us in the table.

23 minutes ago, curtains said:

Got help from Jody now lol .

Hoping it’s going to be an exciting time ahead. 

Well Jody Morris comes with a good reputation from his work with Chelsea youth. He may be able to help us dig out some youngsters that he's encountered. 

I think any rookie manager is exciting and scary in equal measure but everyone started somewhere and there's plenty of young managers doing great things. 

Besides, the worst manager we've had in about 10 years was Nigel Pearson who was also the most qualified at this level. 

Archived