Determine the style of Football at Derby

Curtains

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who knows? Not a ball has been kicked yet under this manager. He wants to play fast, aggressive, attacking football though as he’s said.

So fingers crossed for that providing it is also effective. No point playing attacking football if you’re leaking goals constantly or putting it in Row Z. 

It wasn’t the hoof ball that was the problem, on the whole we didn’t really hoof it imo, that was a bit of a lazy tag. The issue was we never looked to take control of games, we seemed to purposefully put ourselves on the back foot in order to counter. While that worked in some games, it was ultimately heavily reliant on a bit of genius from Huddlestone, and the opposition making mistakes. Long term it cannot be the solution, it will always come unstuck as we saw more than a few times last season.

We need to take control of games and push onto the opposition. Not everything needs to be done at 100mph, controlled, purposeful buildup and possession is the way to success in the modern game. Rowetts way isn’t.

Just now, ThePrisoner said:

Who knows? Not a ball has been kicked yet under this manager. He wants to play fast, aggressive, attacking football though as he’s said.

So fingers crossed for that providing it is also effective. No point playing attacking football if you’re leaking goals constantly or putting it in Row Z. 

Did Aston Villa play effective football last season for instance and how did Derby match up with their performance and ours against Fulham 

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It wasn’t the hoof ball that was the problem, on the whole we didn’t really hoof it imo, that was a bit of a lazy tag. The issue was we never looked to take control of games, we seemed to purposefully put ourselves on the back foot in order to counter. While that worked in some games, it was ultimately heavily reliant on a bit of genius from Huddlestone, and the opposition making mistakes. Long term it cannot be the solution, it will always come unstuck as we saw more than a few times last season.

We need to take control of games and push onto the opposition. Not everything needs to be done at 100mph, controlled, purposeful buildup and possession is the way to success in the modern game. Rowetts way isn’t.

Do you think playing personal is important. 

Will Derby still be restricted by the quality of player at our disposal 

How can we "determine the style of play at Derby"? Do you mean determine Rowett's style of play? As that has been talked to death. 

It would be a little challenging to determine Frank Lampard's style of play, seeing as we have no data. 

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

How can we "determine the style of play at Derby"? Do you mean determine Rowett's style of play? As that has been talked to death. 

It would be a little challenging to determine Frank Lampard's style of play, seeing as we have no data. 

But everyone is assuming it will be loads better even if he has to sell players and use academy players. 

I agree you are right plus he will have to start all over again from scratch to assess the squad and academy etc. 

12 minutes ago, curtains said:

Do you think playing personal is important. 

Will Derby still be restricted by the quality of player at our disposal 

Playing personal affects the ability to play certain styles but it’s never an excuse for tactics that aren’t conducive to long term success. We have enough players to play a proper game, and enough players to seek to raise funds to improve the situation. The players we have are capable on the whole.

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Keeping the ball for longer and passing to feet will be a great start.

Do you think though that some players are not able  to retain the ball and

Pass very accurately all the time.

Player ability is a natural thing that can’t always be taught.

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Playing personal affects the ability to play certain styles but it’s never an excuse for tactics that aren’t conducive to long term success. We have enough players to play a proper game, and enough players to seek to raise funds to improve the situation. The players we have are capable on the whole.

You see that’s where I disagree as some of the players are just not good enough 100 percent of the time at Derby. 

15 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I tend to disagree after watching the last few years of attractive steady build up football, which when faced with a well drilled Rowett type team, can't break through and often get sucker punched. 

With the right quality of player, Rowett's type of football will work and can be entertaining. If you have fast skillful attacking players in the team, by sitting back allows them a lot of empty spaces to move into, not relying on the opposition to make a mistake. 

Any system needs the right type of quality players and good teamwork for it to work. 

15 minutes ago, curtains said:

Do you think though that some players are not able  to retain the ball and

Pass very accurately all the time.

Player ability is a natural thing that can’t always be taught.

Well the majority of them seemed to quite capable of it previous seasons.

Whenever I watched derby this season,we seemed to panicked in possession,there was no composure and everything was rushed...it drove me crazy seeing us seemingly unable to control the game at all and looking so ill at ease in the ball.

Now this began under rowetts tenure,I'd not seen it in recent years at all and if the players were lacking in the ability to hold the ball and distribute it,that's clearly down to rowetts choices in players he brought in and the tactics he utilised.

I certainly don't recall ince,martin,hughes,Bryson etc ever having problems with ball retention.

So long as I never see us trying to find out whether Nugent might work as a target man again I'll be happy. Happened far too often we'd try and punt the ball long to him and I still to this day can't quite believe it. 

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Well the majority of them seemed to quite capable of it previous seasons.

Whenever I watched derby this season,we seemed to panicked in possession,there was no composure and everything was rushed...it drove me crazy seeing us seemingly unable to control the game at all and looking so I'll at ease in the ball.

Now this began under rowetts tenure,I'd not seen it in recent years at all and if the players were lacking in the ability to hold the ball and distribute it,that's clearly down to rowetts choices in players he brought in and the tactics he utilised.

I certainly don't recall ince,martin,hughes,Bryson etc ever having problems with ball retention.

Well Hughes and Ince left for financial reasons and Martin and Bryson are over the hill now. 

42 minutes ago, curtains said:

Rowett got the hoof ball / long ball game tag which was a bit unfair IMO . 

I saw England playing short and long ball game against Nigeria .

Surely effective football is the answer. 

Determined  - the style of football at Derby under Rowett. 

Archived