Determine the style of Football at Derby

Curtains

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I assumed he meant Martin is 'cleverer' than Rowett? 

Yes. And if Lampard does not play Martin, would that suggest Martin is cleverer than him as well? What about Bryson, another fan favourite. 

I'm all for a bit of Rowett bashing over the way he left the club, but Rowett is no mug, making out he is one is only making us look foolish. 

He was no more one dimensional than any other manager that has walked through the doors, the much loved McClaren had his one system and never ventured away from it.  You could argue some players are one dimensional as well, Martin as an example.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, David said:

Yes. And if Lampard does not play Martin, would that suggest Martin is cleverer than him as well? What about Bryson, another fan favourite. 

I'm all for a bit of Rowett bashing over the way he left the club, but Rowett is no mug, making out he is one is only making us look foolish. 

He was no more one dimensional than any other manager that has walked through the doors, the much loved McClaren had his one system and never ventured away from it.  You could argue some players are one dimensional as well, Martin as an example.

Who suggested that Martin was cleverer than Lampard - you did. Bit rich starting and ending your own arguments.

We get that you were a Rowett fan, but if you see the polls lots more weren't. Who else can we refer to when talking about the way we should play if not previous managers? 

Rowett's no mug in that he knows his limitations - if he'd stayed another season they'd have been obvious for all who wanted to, to see. He took the opportunity to leave and for that I will be eternally grateful to him. 

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who suggested that Martin was cleverer than Lampard - you did. Bit rich starting and ending your own arguments.

We get that you were a Rowett fan, but if you see the polls lots more weren't. Who else can we refer to when talking about the way we should play if not previous managers? 

Rowett's no mug in that he knows his limitations - if he'd stayed another season they'd have been obvious for all who wanted to, to see. He took the opportunity to leave and for that I will be eternally grateful to him. 

Are you following the thread? it was discussing Rowett and Martin, I responded to a post that claimed "Managers don’t like players who are cleverer than them"  If Lampard doesn't play Martin does that make him cleverer than him. Simple question I posed, or does this only apply to Rowett as we're bashing him?

Also take a look at the polls, they were actually in favour of staying with Rowett. This is the last one before he left.

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 10.18.44.png

It's all if's buts and maybes now what would have happened. 

10 minutes ago, David said:

Are you following the thread? … If Lampard doesn't play Martin does that make him cleverer than him. Simple question I posed, or does this only apply to Rowett as we're bashing him?

You stated "If Martin doesn't find himself in Lampard's plans it won't be as he's "cleverer" than him." That isn't a question.

Ha ha ha - we don't know what would have happened but we can extrapolate. You chose that poll, fine there are others that suggest different. Bar you and a couple of others there doesn't seem to be much weeping over Rowett going. I might suggest that for some it's been quite a relief as they don't have to be seen as disloyal to the manager, wanting him gone.

10 minutes ago, David said:

Are you following the thread? it was discussing Rowett and Martin, I responded to a post that claimed "Managers don’t like players who are cleverer than them"  If Lampard doesn't play Martin does that make him cleverer than him. Simple question I posed, or does this only apply to Rowett as we're bashing him?

Also take a look at the polls, they were actually in favour of staying with Rowett. This is the last one before he left.

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 10.18.44.png

It's all if's buts and maybes now what would have happened. 

At the end of the day Gary chose to leave for reasons which we don’t know why other than probably he perceives to better himself .

I wouldn’t say Gary is any more or less intelligent than most Football managers or Footballers like say Chris Martin. 

I was loyal to Gary but he’s gone now so and I’m not that narrow minded as to suggest he made mistakes at Derby but also achieved some good. 

Selling Hughes and Ince wasn’t going to ever be forgiven by some supporters but Gary had good intentions regarding trying to change things. 

He made some good signings but missing out on Keith in January had an effect even though Ledley did well. 

We move on to a new regime at Derby .

Oh I’m so intelligent and modest just like RoyMac5 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You stated "If Martin doesn't find himself in Lampard's plans it won't be as he's "cleverer" than him." That isn't a question.

Ha ha ha - we don't know what would have happened but we can extrapolate. You chose that poll, fine there are others that suggest different. Bar you and a couple of others there doesn't seem to be much weeping over Rowett going. I might suggest that for some it's been quite a relief as they don't have to be seen as disloyal to the manager, wanting him gone.

In a way I’m relieved he’s gone and I’m waiting for I told you So thread. 

I wish Lampard and Morris success at DCFC as we all do. 

I’m looking  forward already to the new season. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I suggest you read the post above yours, the member I was responding to which you jumped in on, as you do when Martin is involved. 

I chose the poll as it was the last one regarding his job before he left.

Finally I'm not "weeping" over Rowett, far from it, I have even posted photoshopped images mocking the man for the way he left, but I believe the bashing should be fair.

Just now, curtains said:

In a way I’m relieved he’s gone and I’m waiting for I told you So thread. 

I wish Lampard and Morris success at DCFC as we all do. 

I’m looking  forward already to the new season. 

If I told you so it was for the fact that I (we) want Derby to do well, to be a club I can be proud of for more than just being 'my club'. I didn't say any of the anti-Rowett stuff for any other reason. I started last season fairly pro-Rowett, I just changed my mind when (to me) it became clear what Rowett was.

Just now, David said:

I suggest you read the post above yours, the member I was responding to which you jumped in on, as you do when Martin is involved. 

You said you asked a question, you didn't you made a statement. I replied to the statement you made.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

You said you asked a question, you didn't you made a statement. I replied to the statement you made.

Yes, to the member which is why I quoted him. They have since verified the post to be how I took it and admitted it was a cheap shot.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If I told you so it was for the fact that I (we) want Derby to do well, to be a club I can be proud of for more than just being 'my club'. I didn't say any of the anti-Rowett stuff for any other reason. I started last season fairly pro-Rowett, I just changed my mind when (to me) it became clear what Rowett was.

No hard feeling mate. 

Its a new era now we move on. 

Just now, David said:

Yes, to the member which is why I quoted him. They have since verified the post to be how I took it and admitted it was a cheap shot.

Fine so the statement was to another poster.

For what its worth I don't think its a cheap shot. Martin is an intelligent footballer, Rowett doesn't come across as bright. Whether Lampard choses to play Martin or not will be another matter and not necessarily to do with the intelligence of either.

Back on topic I assume the Lampard style will be more akin to Dutch total football as McClaren played at Derby. 

Man City and Barca play the type of Football most would admire but I stress you need the right players with skill and guile to achieve this  

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

Back on topic I assume the Lampard style will be more akin to Dutch total football as McClaren played at Derby. 

Man City and Barca play the type of Football most would admire but I stress you need the right players with skill and guile to achieve this  

Well it'd be nice to think that those were the sort of players we were looking at for starters! ?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well it'd be nice to think that those were the sort of players we were looking at for starters! ?

Ok but do you think MM will have the where before to ship some out that Frank suggests and get the type of players we need in plus using the present Academy players in the  1st team and still play the attractive football we crave. 

I see it as a long term balancing act unless Frank and Jody can get the present squad to perform so much better. 

17 hours ago, curtains said:

The only thing that worries me is that Frank and Jody have to assess the squad all over again from scratch.

Like for example the Mason Bennett conundrum or the Richard Keogh/ Chris Martin / Craig Bryson and Jacob Butterfield situations along with Sam Winnall  and  Nick Blackman etc 

Why on Earth have they got to assess Sam Winnall? The man is a Sheffield Wednesday player.  He won’t be coming, nor should we sign him. 

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

Ok but do you think MM will have the where before to ship some out that Frank suggests and get the type of players we need in plus using the present Academy players in the  1st team and still play the attractive football we crave. 

I see it as a long term balancing act unless Frank and Jody can get the present squad to perform so much better. 

I think on the whole the squad bar parts of the midfield have plenty of variety and ability. If we can't ship out the ones that Lampard doesn't want, well for most of them it's their last season with us anyway. I can't see the urgency to ship out unless we want to spend big?

I think that a manager with the ability to play more than one way, and incorporate youth and loans, should find the job will come down to creating a team/squad that want to work hard and achieve.

21 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Why on Earth have they got to assess Sam Winnall? The man is a Sheffield Wednesday player.  He won’t be coming, nor should we sign him. 

Oh he is not coming 

Have to scrap that song then lol. 

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I have no doubt Martin would bring more attacking players into the game with his clever passing. 

The issue is how to get the ball to Martin in the first place.  He is slow and easy to mark and that has been apparent in his loan spells.  

He is looking a spent force. I like him as a player but he needs a remarkable turnaround in his fortune to pursue his career in the championship. 

No argument from me but it all depends on as you say him being given the ball correctly and the others reading the game and the way we play, under Rowett he stood no chance ( altough we only lost one game when he started and that was wolves in the first home game) but he is an option that we have and we don’t have to buy

Archived