Lampard and Bryson

cannable

Lampard traditionally played on the left of a midfield three, making runs from deep into the box and scoring. He played late on into his thirties. 

Bryso plays in the same position and in a similar vein to Lampard but his body keeps breaking down. Bryso still pretty much plays how he did in his 20s which could be why he keeps picking up niggles. 

I wonder if Lampard can effectivley prolong Bryso’s career and his output having played in the same position and the same function into his late thirties. 

He should, theoretically, be able to transfer what gave him longevity to Brys, be it managing his minutes or slightly altering his game etcetera.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FL ought to like bryson.

however i suspect that mel will want bryson out to reduce the wage bill and create room for sprogs. 

I’d only keep him as back up if we are playing 4-3-3. He really struggled for Cardiff last season with his fitness and could only perform in short bursts but he’d be perfect in the winter months to be used for rotation purposes.

Bryson is best in the shuttle runner position moving from zone 8 to zone 10 so the other two midfielders would need to be disciplined to cover the space vacated by Bryson. 

I’d keep Bryson, Guy and Elsnik as the back ups for the two advanced centre midfield positions. Sell Johnson, Butterfield, Ledley in midfield and buy/loan two starter midfielders.

Then Huddlestone/Thorne as the defensive midfielders with their passing range.

15 hours ago, cannable said:

Lampard traditionally played on the left of a midfield three, making runs from deep into the box and scoring. He played late on into his thirties. 

Bryso plays in the same position and in a similar vein to Lampard but his body keeps breaking down. Bryso still pretty much plays how he did in his 20s which could be why he keeps picking up niggles. 

I wonder if Lampard can effectivley prolong Bryso’s career and his output having played in the same position and the same function into his late thirties. 

He should, theoretically, be able to transfer what gave him longevity to Brys, be it managing his minutes or slightly altering his game etcetera.

Big fan of Bryson, would like to see him back and playing

A player like Bryson is sorely missed in our team IMO. It's not the more obvious stuff he does that's so important to the team though it's the selfless running he does. In a match he covers nearly every blade of grass. He doesn't always get the ball but what his running does is 'create space' for others. He is a very intelligent player when off the ball. It would not surprise me at all to see him find form again for Derby under Frank, especially as I think Frank will try to play a style of football which will 'fit' Bryson's attributes better.

15 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I’d only keep him as back up if we are playing 4-3-3. He really struggled for Cardiff last season with his fitness and could only perform in short bursts but he’d be perfect in the winter months to be used for rotation purposes.

Bryson is best in the shuttle runner position moving from zone 8 to zone 10 so the other two midfielders would need to be disciplined to cover the space vacated by Bryson. 

I’d keep Bryson, Guy and Elsnik as the back ups for the two advanced centre midfield positions. Sell Johnson, Butterfield, Ledley in midfield and buy/loan two starter midfielders.

He’s a footballer not a London Underground train.

20 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Big fan of Bryson, would like to see him back and playing

This. He’s get plenty left just needs a run of 10 games and we’ll get classic Bryson back. He has a Merlin engine and ghosts into space. I suspect Frank will see his quality very quickly. 

14 hours ago, Parsnip said:

What about Bradley Johnson? The new Frank.

You know, that kind of occurred to me. Powerful raider. He is rough around the edges but has the power. And his preferred position on the pitch is broadly similar

The other thing that hangs in the air is George. What will happen ? Who knows when so much is about the toll serious injuries take. .. Mac always played GT as a central DM but at this level there was nothing more Lampardesque than GT striding through the middle and letting rip with a pile driver. Who knows ? A positive preseason and a king reborn ? Crossing my fingers 

23 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Shuttle runner? Stop reading the Bleacher Report, it's called a box to box midfielder in England.

14 hours ago, RamNut said:

FL ought to like bryson.

however i suspect that mel will want bryson out to reduce the wage bill and create room for sprogs. 

I doubt Bryson’s wages are that big of a  problem. Mel said not long after the PO final defeat we had signed our first £20k a week player, seeing as CB signed that 5 year deal my guess is it was him. I’d also speculate that the majority of the players signed during the clement debacle were signed on more than £20k.

47 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Shuttle runner? Stop reading the Bleacher Report, it's called a box to box midfielder in England.

I would like to see hudds in the quarterback position pinging balls out to our wide receivers Lawrence and Anya whilst bryse moves into the end zone to stick it in the basket

14 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I’d also speculate that the majority of the players signed during the clement debacle were signed on more than £20k.

I’ve seen £35k mentioned for Butterfield. 

Archived