Peak District

Kinder

Need some advice please guys. I’m a Brummie born and bred but want to start exploring Derbyshire, especially the Peak District. My Dad and his family were all from Derby but sadly he’s not around any more. I remember going to Dovedale as a kid and a theme park-type place (Gulliver’s Kingdom?) with Dad, but would love a few ideas of places to visit, nice walks with my family and the dog. And good campsites as well.

My Dad’s middle name was Kinder, he passed it on to me and I’ve passed it on to my lad so I really need to walk up Kinder Scout at some point!

Cheers

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d explore the villages and surrounding walks in the Wirksworth area, so Bonsall, Winster, Birchover, Stanton. Also Bakewell area, so Lathkill Dale, Deep Dale, Monsall Head. Then go further north, up to Fox House and around Padley etc, then Castleton, Mam Tor and Edale. 

There is so much beautiful scenery and unspoilt villages (with great pubs); moors, dales, woodland, rivers. You’ll never get bored in a lifetime. I’ve lived here since 1985 and am still regularly discovering great new places. 

What ever you do, don't just stick to the main roads.

I've lived in Derby all my life and still just get into the car and head off into the peaks and just turn onto random roads and head off wherever they take me and take in the scenery.  

15 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Can’t beleive no one has mentioned Matlock for a day out. That’s where you would’ve gone to gullivers kindgom. Heights of Abraham and the blue John caves as well. 

The blue john caves are in Castleton, aren’t they, and Gullivers is Matlock Bath. 

I think Matlock itself has gone downhill, personally, and you’ll spend half your day sitting on the A6 trying to get there.

The villages I mentioned are in the surrounding area, and much easier to get to if you avoid Matlock. 

Matlock Bath is the armpit of the Peak District. Gullivers Kingdom is the armpit of Matlock Bath.

Matlock Bath is so crap it's not even in the Peak District.

Don't go there. And if you do don't go to Gary Charles' Steakhouse. It's crap. And only has one hygiene star.

3 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Matlock Bath is the armpit of the Peak District. Gullivers Kingdom is the armpit of Matlock Bath.

Matlock Bath is so crap it's not even in the Peak District.

Don't go there. And if you do don't go to Gary Charles' Steakhouse. It's crap. And only has one hygiene star.

Who does go to Matlock Bath?

12 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

The Boeing RB29 Super Fortress aircrash site at Bleaklow is quite interesting. 

https://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/crash_sites/peak-district/boeing-rb-29a-44-61999-higher-shelf-stones/

This is crazy. You’ve opened up a whole new world for me. As a big fan of aviation, I can’t believe this passed me by. Going to check out some of these. 

1 minute ago, Lambchop said:

People who think walking up and down a stretch of the A6 is like being at the seaside. 

Matlock bath used to have some nice shops to be fair but now seems to only consist of chipshops .  Also noticed Bakewell had lost a lot of shops last time I was there .  Still nice to visit though and Haddon Hall/ Chatswoth just round the corner .

4 hours ago, Parsnip said:

don't go to Gary Charles' Steakhouse. It's crap. And only has one hygiene star.

He only gets custom from people he physically drags in off the street, and those who are so shitfaced they think it’s the Princess Vic. 

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Matlock bath used to have some nice shops to be fair but now seems to only consist of chipshops 

It doesn’t have one decent pub anymore either, since the County has gone and Trevor’s ruined the Fishpond. 

Archived