Peak District

Kinder

12 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Me too. She still has a shop in Chesterfield but no restaurant.

She picked a bad position on Firs Parade. If Matlock Town council had any sense they'd bulldoze that hideous street and start again. 

But Matlock town council are intent on making Matlock as soulless as possible and they're doing a great job.

I cant remember a Vietnamese on Firs Parade....thought it was a Chinese.....as was Mr Lees

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wingfieldram said:

I cant remember a Vietnamese on Firs Parade....thought it was a Chinese.....as was Mr Lees

Lemon Grass. It was really good and the owner was lovely but being on that awful council estate shopping hole that is Firs Parade, they didn't get enough business.

i

1 minute ago, Parsnip said:

Lemon Grass. It was really good and the owner was lovely but being on that awful council estate shopping hole that is Firs Parade, they didn't get enough business.

Sorry, i was thinking back to the 80s with the Chinese. The lady wife remembers it....wasn't it a veggie restaurant at one point.

Firs Parade is an eyesore. What concerns me, in Matlock , is the new housing developments being built on the A6.....ugly as hell!!

Sith Happens
7 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Sainsburys was the beginning of the end for Matlock. 

Similar can be said about a lot of towns, not just sainsburys but tesco etc.

3 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I for one thought it was great. You can completely by pass the place now.

I lived in Bonsall and worked in Matlock at the time. I had a nice easy 7 minute drive to work down Salters Lane and over the bridge, which turned into a hike round Sainsburys land to join all the traffic coming in from Darley.

That footbridge in front of the station is an abomination which should never have been allowed, too. 

Then it killed half the businesses in the town centre by removing the accessible, free car park. 

Should've been built out by DFS, or somewhere. 

25 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I lived in Bonsall and worked in Matlock at the time. I had a nice easy 7 minute drive to work down Salters Lane and over the bridge, which turned into a hike round Sainsburys land to join all the traffic coming in from Darley.

That footbridge in front of the station is an abomination which should never have been allowed, too. 

Then it killed half the businesses in the town centre by removing the accessible, free car park. 

Should've been built out by DFS, or somewhere. 

We used to call people from Bonsall cavemen when I was at school. I bet it hasn't changed much. You were risking it down Salters Lane everytime I go up there I always meet someone at the only point where you have to back up 20 yards or so to get passed.

16 minutes ago, Gritters said:

everytime I go up there I always meet someone at the only point where you have to back up 20 yards or so to get passed.

When you drive it everyday you get to know exactly where the hallway points are, so you can sit it out and wait for the other ducker to move. There weren’t many about at 7am though, and the view across the mist in the valley as the sun came up was spectacular. 

Bonsall is changing, it’s gradually becoming gentrified as people with money are realising it’s a great place to live. All the cool people have left now!

45 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

When you drive it everyday you get to know exactly where the hallway points are, so you can sit it out and wait for the other ducker to move. There weren’t many about at 7am though, and the view across the mist in the valley as the sun came up was spectacular. 

Bonsall is changing, it’s gradually becoming gentrified as people with money are realising it’s a great place to live. All the cool people have left now!

Yeah my Grandad left for Wussa Town before the war and never looked back.

On 02/06/2018 at 10:09, Lambchop said:

The blue john caves are in Castleton, aren’t they, and Gullivers is Matlock Bath. 

I think Matlock itself has gone downhill, personally, and you’ll spend half your day sitting on the A6 trying to get there.

The villages I mentioned are in the surrounding area, and much easier to get to if you avoid Matlock. 

Plus Matlock isn't in the Peak Park. But other than that Tedd nailed it!

Thanks for all the advice guys. So if I was planning to have a day out in the Peak District on Father’s Day, involving lunch and a few ales at a dog-friendly pub, where would you recommend?  And any decent pubs to go?  Preferably towards the south.

4 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Thanks for all the advice guys. So if I was planning to have a day out in the Peak District on Father’s Day, involving lunch and a few ales at a dog-friendly pub, where would you recommend?  And any decent pubs to go?  Preferably towards the south.

The Bulls Head at Monyash ticks all those boxes I believe

14 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

The Bulls Head at Monyash ticks all those boxes I believe

Easy to get to as well, up the A515. The Cöck and Pullet at Sheldon is only a couple of miles away, and is cheaper for food, but Monyash also has the Smithy cafe. 

Other options: Miner’s Arms at Carsington; Barley Mow at Bonsall; Druid’s Inn or Red Lion at Birchover; Bowling Green or Miner’s Arms at Winster; George at Youlgreave; Olde Gate or Miner’s Arms at Brassington. 

Over the Staffs border, but also recommend The George at Alstonefield and the Royal Oak at Wetton. Walks from there can either take you via Thor’s cave, or up towards Hartington. 

On 05/06/2018 at 11:44, Lambchop said:

Easy to get to as well, up the A515. The Cöck and Pullet at Sheldon is only a couple of miles away, and is cheaper for food, but Monyash also has the Smithy cafe. 

Other options: Miner’s Arms at Carsington; Barley Mow at Bonsall; Druid’s Inn or Red Lion at Birchover; Bowling Green or Miner’s Arms at Winster; George at Youlgreave; Olde Gate or Miner’s Arms at Brassington. 

Over the Staffs border, but also recommend The George at Alstonefield and the Royal Oak at Wetton. Walks from there can either take you via Thor’s cave, or up towards Hartington. 

Do any of these places do BandB? I fancy a good night out with the missus to blow cobwebs away and cheer us up a bit. 

Recommended places from anyone please. Bar, bed, breakfast, walks etc 

29 minutes ago, mozza said:

Do any of these places do BandB? I fancy a good night out with the missus to blow cobwebs away and cheer us up a bit. 

Recommended places from anyone please. Bar, bed, breakfast, walks etc 

Just google and phone them!

The C and P @ Sheldon looks fantastic!

15 minutes ago, steve brummie said:

Just google and phone them!

Just booked a place for tomorrow night , i'll reveal and review it on here on return , fingers crossed , feel better already ?

47 minutes ago, steve brummie said:

It’s pretty ordinary for beer, just Landlord and Doom Bar, but the food is decent value. The walks from there are great, though. A circular via Deep Dale and Great Shacklow Wood gives you a nature reserve currently teeming with orchids, woodland, river, and tremendous views across the moors in the space of about four miles. It can easily be extended to take in either Monsall or Lathkill dale too. 

Archived