Peak District

Kinder

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

It doesn’t have one decent pub anymore either, since the County has gone and Trevor’s ruined the Fishpond. 

15 years ago i spoke to the brewery about buying the County but they wanted too much - I still think about it. Has it gone now?

14 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Has it gone now?

Yes, the Balti have bought it. Dreadful, I thought Shiny brewery were doing a decent job with it the last couple of years. You should have bought it!

Not sure what’s happening with the PV either, it seems to have had a string of temporary managers and is shut half the time. Maybe buy that...

20 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

You should have bought it!

No I shouldn't and thank God I didn't. I would definitely be dead by now if I'd gone down that path.

Thankfully FUBAR means something very different to me these days (most of the time).

19 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Isn't that still with the Poets people? If not then it'll definitely die soon.

I’m not sure if Kim still provides the beers. It seemed to be Batemans last time I went in. I do remember hearing a runour a couple of years ago that he had lost interest and was dicking them about. 

Sith Happens
11 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

Dovedale is a beautiful place. 

Kenny Everett loved it so much that part of his ashes were scattered there. 

I hope it was all done on the best possible taste.

6 hours ago, Lambchop said:

I’m not sure if Kim still provides the beers. 

Ugh Koreans don't know how to run traditional English Boozers, that's probably part of the problem then.

Can he cook though? The whole Matlock area is crying out for a decent Chinese. I have to drive 20mins to Belper if we want a Chinese takeaway.

46 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I have to drive 20mins to Belper if we want a Chinese takeaway

Bird’s Nest in Wirksworth is fine, and China Rose in Matlock Bath is supposed to be very good since the invasion, er, since it changed hands. I still miss the Vietnamese on Firs Parade though. 

The cycle ride along Tissington trail from Ashbourne to Hartington is well worth an afternoon out. Both lovely places. 

In Staffs but straddling Peak District is the view from the top of Weaver Hills above Ellastone. You can see 5 counties from up there and two very decent pubs for grub close by. Duncombe Arms in Ellastone and The Tavern at Denstone. 

Stay the hell away from Matlock mate. It has gone downhill and parking is a mare. 

Eyam has historical interest (the plague) and it's not too far from Foolow gliding centre (if it's still there).

If you're into running, there's a cracking half marathon at Eyam, but you've got to love hills, steep, long and plenty of them.

3 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Bird’s Nest in Wirksworth is fine, and China Rose in Matlock Bath is supposed to be very good since the invasion, er, since it changed hands.

Fine isn't good enough for me. I want to be able to taste the sewers of Sanlitun when I get a takeaway.

What invasion? Is there gossip there?

11 hours ago, Lambchop said:

I still miss the Vietnamese on Firs Parade though

Me too. She still has a shop in Chesterfield but no restaurant.

She picked a bad position on Firs Parade. If Matlock Town council had any sense they'd bulldoze that hideous street and start again. 

But Matlock town council are intent on making Matlock as soulless as possible and they're doing a great job.

Archived