My probably unpopular theory of Mel

I think Mel purchased Derby County as a business man first and fan second.

He bought Derby at a time we were on the up, all it took was a bit of investment and it was inevitable we were going up and with that would come a nice big windfall.

The first season he threw big money at it (but small in comparison to promotion windfall) with 'big' signings like Johnson, Shackell, Butterfield to complement Ince, Hughes, Thorne and Martin...how could we not succeed.

Along came Clement, Mac part 2, Pearson, Wassall and now Rowett. Rowett leaving I think rings huge alarm bells, claims of a good working relationship with Mel, his dream job at Derby, thrown away...why?

I honestly think Mel realises his initial investment has proven fruitless, promotion is now a distant dream and the business man is limiting his damage by selling any asset we have, almost a diluted Fawaz.

It really could have worked out for Mel and us fans, but I think what we are left with is an unravelling mess of a chairman trying to get his money back and a string of managers having to work under tight restrictions.

Or...I could be completely wrong, completely ungrateful of the great work Mel has done for the club and I know nothing.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no, he has used to business acumen in his running of the club.

In his IT businesses, I doubt he got hands-on with the software coding, he paid experts to do it, whereas here, he's pretended to understand the footballing business with his decisions.

Lets face it he hasn't got a bloody clue what he is doing, well out of his depth in a business sense and started panicking the moment it didn't go to plan !!, in his other businesses he is used to leaving others to do the work whilst he reaps the rewards and attends monthly meetings to look at profits, running a football club there is no profit without success, he is just going to have to accept that or move on !

21 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I think Mel purchased Derby County as a business man first and fan second.

He bought Derby at a time we were on the up, all it took was a bit of investment and it was inevitable we were going up and with that would come a nice big windfall.

The first season he threw big money at it (but small in comparison to promotion windfall) with 'big' signings like Johnson, Shackell, Butterfield to complement Ince, Hughes, Thorne and Martin...how could we not succeed.

Along came Clement, Mac part 2, Pearson, Wassall and now Rowett. Rowett leaving I think rings huge alarm bells, claims of a good working relationship with Mel, his dream job at Derby, thrown away...why?

I honestly think Mel realises his initial investment has proven fruitless, promotion is now a distant dream and the business man is limiting his damage by selling any asset we have, almost a diluted Fawaz.

It really could have worked out for Mel and us fans, but I think what we are left with is an unravelling mess of a chairman trying to get his money back and a string of managers having to work under tight restrictions.

Or...I could be completely wrong, completely ungrateful of the great work Mel has done for the club and I know nothing.

I know you have put me on ignore but you are right 

He bought us for £50m. He invested heavily in the academy and structure of the club and the facilities. This means that anything we'd be sold for in the prem wouldn't net him a massive amount of profit. 

Think about it, if you're worth near £600m would you risk £70m for a double your money profit at an extremely high risk? (His investment is close to £120m but I was ignoring the players as they'd be directly contributing towards promotion where as his other investment doesn't.) 

I think he did it with the best intentions but I think he needed us to be in the premier league to sustain it as £600m is not 'rich' for a decent football club owner anymore... Billionaires game these days. 

16 minutes ago, Moist One said:

In his IT businesses, I doubt he got hands-on with the software coding, he paid experts to do it, whereas here, he's pretended to understand the footballing business with his decisions.

is Blackman and Butterfield a de-coding job!!

What else ya gonna spend your money on if you're a big fan and your club looks like it's flying high and looking v pretty?

He bought the club with some of his hard-earned readies like many of us would have done, is he even gonna miss £100m loss if he sold now?

6 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

He bought us for £50m. He invested heavily in the academy and structure of the club and the facilities. This means that anything we'd be sold for in the prem wouldn't net him a massive amount of profit. 

Think about it, if you're worth near £600m would you risk £70m for a double your money profit at an extremely high risk? (His investment is close to £120m but I was ignoring the players as they'd be directly contributing towards promotion where as his other investment doesn't.) 

I think he did it with the best intentions but I think he needed us to be in the premier league to sustain it as £600m is not 'rich' for a decent football club owner anymore... Billionaires game these days. 

Most probably right and my opinion is most probs my wrong...I hope so anyway.

22 minutes ago, Moist One said:

Exactly my words in another thread (Well words to that effect). Director of football or someone in charge who knows football.

I love the fact he is a fan and willing to invest, but please take a back seat.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What else ya gonna spend your money on if you're a big fan and your club looks like it's flying high and looking v pretty?

He bought the club with some of his hard-earned readies like many of us would have done, is he even gonna miss £100m loss if he sold now?

What many seem to forget is that prior to Mel we barely even challenged the top half of the table for 6 years.

Now we moan about finishing 8th, 5th, 9th & 6th in the last 4 years.

The club is debt-free and has first class facilities.

Yes he's made some bad decisions (costing HIMSELF money, not the club) but overall we should be thankful to Mel in my opinion.

Biggest mistakes have been backing managers too readily - especially Clement - and not managing SR correctly.

The iPro deal wasn't too clever either.

That said, the money we receive off the pitch is better than ever, RamsTV, investment in the academy and Pride Park... For me, the positives outweigh the negatives. So far.

He's in a tough spot now unfortunately. 

Yes he made a real mess of things at first, spending out of our means, hiring and firing etc. However the use of Sam Rush didn't help. In all fairness to Mel we all thought Rush was the bee's knees until it came out in the media. It was a pretty big learning curve and he seems to have at least learnt from it. 

Of late he's made real amends though, the club is spending only roughly what they made from player sales and development of the infrastructure is there. Mel clearly intended to stand by Rowett this summer and give him time to work with this team. I'm going to reserve judgement now until a new manager is in. If he shows the same approach i.e. Giving time for any new manager to build, encouraging development and spending within their means than for me Mel has done everything in his power. 

I find it utterly ridiculous to question the owner's decisions regarding the purchase of individual players when all he has done is backed the manager's judgement with hard cash.

Archived