My probably unpopular theory of Mel

4 minutes ago, eddie said:

I find it utterly ridiculous to question the owner's decisions regarding the purchase of individual players when all he has done is backed the manager's judgement with hard cash.

True, however how much of our FFP issues are down to him sacking that said manager only a short period of time after authorising the purchase of the player.  

Not only do we have a hefty compensation package to pay, but we are left with another manager that comes in and brings his own ideas and player list to the club, true it’s his own money however the philosophy of the long term planning has to be questioned. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AdamRam said:

True, however how much of our FFP issues are down to him sacking that said manager only a short period of time after authorising the purchase of the player.  

Not only do we have a hefty compensation package to pay, but we are left with another manager that comes in and brings his own ideas and player list to the club, true it’s his own money however the philosophy of the long term planning has to be questioned. 

So no manager should ever be sacked under any circumstances then. Got it.

Let's face it, he isn't going to get his money back if we don't get promoted.

Splashing a fair bit of cash so far whilst covering our losses hasn't worked & as I see it now, he has 2 choices:

1. Go for it again & spend outside of FFP in the hope it will work & we can deal with any fines at a later date, as others have done

2. Cut back & consolidate & hope we get lucky whilst planning for another push in a couple of years

Both are risky. What if 1. doesn't work again & 2. will be increasingly difficult due to competing with increasing parachute payments for relegated teams.

Option 1 would presumably make it easier to attract the best "established" manager but does he have the appetite for it & would it be in the best longer term interests of the club - which I do believe he has at heart?

I'm glad it's not my decision to make, to be honest.

7 minutes ago, eddie said:

If you want to read it that way, then feel free to “get it.  The point is that he authorised large sums to be spent by several managers who he then proceeded to sack only a few months (if that for some) later.  How many managers if this he has now had working for him under his tenure, so whilst he is backing the manager with his hard cash, he hasn’t given them the time to embed this philosophies and reap the rewards within the club, he has just thrown them out the door, and decided to move onto the next one.

Im not sure why it would be ridiculous as you put it to question the rationale of signing all these blank cheques, if there is no long term plan to go with it.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I think Mel purchased Derby County as a business man first and fan second.

He bought Derby at a time we were on the up, all it took was a bit of investment and it was inevitable we were going up and with that would come a nice big windfall.

The first season he threw big money at it (but small in comparison to promotion windfall) with 'big' signings like Johnson, Shackell, Butterfield to complement Ince, Hughes, Thorne and Martin...how could we not succeed.

Along came Clement, Mac part 2, Pearson, Wassall and now Rowett. Rowett leaving I think rings huge alarm bells, claims of a good working relationship with Mel, his dream job at Derby, thrown away...why?

I honestly think Mel realises his initial investment has proven fruitless, promotion is now a distant dream and the business man is limiting his damage by selling any asset we have, almost a diluted Fawaz.

It really could have worked out for Mel and us fans, but I think what we are left with is an unravelling mess of a chairman trying to get his money back and a string of managers having to work under tight restrictions.

Or...I could be completely wrong, completely ungrateful of the great work Mel has done for the club and I know nothing.

How can you put Mel and Fawaz in the same sentence ? Fawaz was taken to court for unpaid debts on a monthly basis ffs. Yes Mel has made mistakes and probably some of them mistakes are because he’s a fan like us but not many fans complained about most of his manager appointment ‘s at the time.

7 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

If you want to read it that way, then feel free to “get it.  The point is that he authorised large sums to be spent by several managers who he then proceeded to sack only a few months (if that for some) later.  How many managers if this he has now had working for him under his tenure, so whilst he is backing the manager with his hard cash, he hasn’t given them the time to embed this philosophies and reap the rewards within the club, he has just thrown them out the door, and decided to move onto the next one.

Im not sure why it would be ridiculous as you put it to question the rationale of signing all these blank cheques, if there is no long term plan to go with it.

Has anyone ever got to the bottom of why Clement was sacked? Was it results-based? Was it performance-based? I agree that it was more than a bit strange for a championship club to allow a manager to spend around £25m and then remove the manager during the same season, but at the time, the word on the street (ok, the breakfast club) was that the reason for his departure was for deviating from the script.

8 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

How can you put Mel and Fawaz in the same sentence ? Fawaz was taken to court for unpaid debts on a monthly basis ffs. Yes Mel has made mistakes and probably some of them mistakes are because he’s a fan like us but not many fans complained about most of his manager appointment ‘s at the time.

Because Fawaz was selling players to recoup his investment before selling, we seem to be selling our best players each year and replacing with players with no value, with the exception of Lawrence.

Fawaz and Mel are two different people with two different motives, but our club does seem to be following a very similar path to theirs.

I made a few comments earlier in the year questioning just how much MM interfered and since then i feel his arms are long and he has a hands on approach with everything that happens and to me he is the problem.

MM has made a fortune in his dealings  and has spent a fortune on DCFC but it does not make him a great owner, the value will still be there when he sells and under his ownership DCFC have become like a soft underbelly that anyone can come and giveus a good kicking.

Many players bought at ludicrous prices on contracts that they could only ever dream of getting , opposition managers who could not wait for us to come calling, but as much as bad purchases have been made we seem to be a soft touch on selling  good players giving in on prices it makes me so bloody angry when i know the players are worth more and i question who negotiates these deals .

If the worst happens and GR goes {im not his greatest fan but its the turmoil again] how much do you think he will offer for a couple of our players ,i think DCFC will roll over let him tickle there belly and then sell on the cheap just to get some ready cash in.

Completely disillusioned  with the club its direction and set up .

21 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Because Fawaz was selling players to recoup his investment before selling, we seem to be selling our best players each year and replacing with players with no value, with the exception of Lawrence.

Fawaz and Mel are two different people with two different motives, but our club does seem to be following a very similar path to theirs.

We have a wage bill of over £35 million we can’t just carry on spending.

I don't really see why he is getting this amount of criticism for this. He's made mistakes, but what owner hasn't? On the Rowett situation, I consider him totally blameless, how is it his fault our manager wanted out? 

I think you can call him out for his mistakes, being a bit trigger happy etc. However, I don't think you can call his intentions into play. He's invested a lot into our academy, he has backed managers with cash. I think people see it as grass being greener without Mel, but isn't that what people thought about the Americans? To me, it is without a doubt Mel loves this club and wants to see it succeed, first and foremost. 

1 hour ago, eddie said:

I don't think that was his point. His point was that the manager bought in players and then got moved on in short time. Another manager comes in with his own ideas and the same happens.

Let's not forget this happened more than a few times as we know, which begs the question who is the common denominator?

I don't get the criticism aimed at Mel for interfering and he needs to take a back seat. Other than the infamous dressing room rant under Clement, what eveidence is there that it's even an issue?

48 minutes ago, eddie said:

Has anyone ever got to the bottom of why Clement was sacked? Was it results-based? Was it performance-based? I agree that it was more than a bit strange for a championship club to allow a manager to spend around £25m and then remove the manager during the same season, but at the time, the word on the street (ok, the breakfast club) was that the reason for his departure was for deviating from the script.

I haven’t got a scooby why any of them was sacked, and don’t get me wrong had he not ploughed in so much money I’m sure the criticism would have been just that, so either way he can’t win.

Personally my own thoughts are that he naively believed we would gain promotion   by throwing all that money at it however did it with the best intentions.  

The one thing that sticks in my mind with Mel was that he went on record saying he didn’t agree with the sale of Hendrick, yet it was followed up by the sale of Hughes, when and why did his philosophy for the club change I wonder. (Although you could argue I suppose that it has remained constant in backing his manager).

Archived