Feel sorry for Mel.

Rev

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Nigel would not have jumped ship like Rowett is doing 

Can’t imagine enough clubs would have been interested to find out.  If it wasn’t for his surname, he wouldn’t be held in such high regard. The guy has no plan B and whilst he may have been able to assemble a relatively decent first XI at Derby that was only after so many flops it’s hard to count and the current Burton squad is woeful even on a shoestring

I'm struggling to feel for him. Lack of vision (or changing it needlessly at some point) has led to unnecessary chopping and changing of managers. That's the biggest reason why we have the unbalanced and bloated squad at the moment.

He got it wrong with Rowett and felt to his silver-tongued sales speeches like so many other fans. With Rush, it's different and harder to judge as we don't know what has happened.

13 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I said it earlier. Bring in a manager who has his own ideas and he will want HIS type of player. Mel allows them to buy those players. When they don't get instant success they get the sack. The merry go round does just that. 

5 managers worth of players to sort out.

We are back where we were with Nigel Clough. So who has created the problem?

Yes MM has put his heart and soul into it Derby (money as well) but maybe he needs to allow someone else to run it on his behalf.

Can’t agree with this worse off under mel stuff ,, we can’t spend now but we couldn’t spend then but just for different reasons ,,

its very easy to forget that without mels money our Wembley team would probably have had its bones picked dry by clubs with more money and mels money allowed us to keep the quality and potential we had then that gse may well have had to cash in on ,,, 

mistakes have been made and I’m willing to bet they hurt mel every bit as much as us but alongside that our debts have been reduced and there’s been a lot of positive investment so by all means pick up on mistakes but give the bloke a fair rap too,mels money may not have been wisely spent in complementing that Wembley team but chances are that Wembley team could not have been kept together never mind added to without his investment 

11 minutes ago, archied said:

Can’t agree with this worse off under mel stuff ,, we can’t spend now but we couldn’t spend then but just for different reasons ,,

its very easy to forget that without mels money our Wembley team would probably have had its bones picked dry by clubs with more money and mels money allowed us to keep the quality and potential we had then that gse may well have had to cash in on ,,, 

mistakes have been made and I’m willing to bet they hurt mel every bit as much as us but alongside that our debts have been reduced and there’s been a lot of positive investment so by all means pick up on mistakes but give the bloke a fair rap too,mels money may not have been wisely spent in complementing that Wembley team but chances are that Wembley team could not have been kept together never mind added to without his investment 

I didn't say we were worse off under MM and I applaud his personal investment etc.

What I am saying is he needs to let someone run the club who knows how to run a football club. 

I am positive that even Mel doesn't know too much about candy crush and how the software actually works, but he does have people in place that do. He invests and let's someone IN THE KNOW run it.

Maybe this is how he should run Derby. 

Just now, BathRam72 said:

I didn't we were worse off under MM and I applaud his personal investment etc.

What I am saying is he needs to let someone run the club who knows how to run a football club. 

I am positive that even Mel doesn't know too much about candy crush and how the software actually works, but he does have people in place that do. He invests and let's someone IN THE KNOW run it.

Can’t argue with that

44 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I said it earlier. Bring in a manager who has his own ideas and he will want HIS type of player. Mel allows them to buy those players. When they don't get instant success they get the sack. The merry go round does just that. 

5 managers worth of players to sort out.

We are back where we were with Nigel Clough. So who has created the problem?

Yes MM has put his heart and soul into it Derby (money as well) but maybe he needs to allow someone else to run it on his behalf.

He did let someone else run it.

Sam Rush.

That went well.

24 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I didn't say we were worse off under MM and I applaud his personal investment etc.

He did try this with Sam Rush who allegedly knew how to run the club. Would rather have Nick Leeson running the club than Sam Rush

MM has always backed managers to the full extent to what FFP has allowed, he's just backed the wrong people. 

After we missed out on promotion and his backing came more apparent, we initially spent very little aside from the outlay on Thorne. Overall we probably spent circa £5m? 

The season after he fully backed Clement to the tune of £26m! When you consider that we didn't sell anyone that summer & how far the wage bill will have been hiked up then it's clear he shouldn't have been so dreamy eyed over a Real Madrid No2, but again we all were at the time. It was exciting. McClaren at least inspired improvement in players, he made them better. Clement took players backwards. We still looked to play football, just at a third of the pace. We looked unfit. Wassall came in, got us playing better football and gave us reasons to be cheerful - he just couldn't organise his defence. 

Pearson brought in Vydra and Anya, offset by the sales of Hendrick, Buxton, Albentosa. 

Rowett spent £5m on Lawrence, £2.5m on Wisdom, £2m on Huddlestone, £1.5m on Jerome, £500k on Davies & Ledley on a free. I would imagine all will be earning a fair wage - certainly out of the question that any of those are picking up less than £15k a week. Preston's highest earner, I believe, is on £10k, for comparison. He sold Hughes for £4m, Ince for £8m (although we may have got another payment for them staying up?), £2.5m for Christie & 250k for Russell. Rowett's probably increased the wage bill slightly, even if he has made a profit on transfers in and out. 

The new manager now has to cut the wage bill, but luckily losing Shackell, Bent & Baird means that's close to 80k a week (£4m/year) off the wage bill already. If you factor in the £2m we will get from Rowett, plus any payment for Ince now Huddersfield have stayed up, then it's a good start. My point is that the 'no money' cries are very much incorrect in the sense that we will just be allocating the budget elsewhere based on what FFP allows. The new manager will still have some of the very best facilities in the country to utilise (thanks to Mel's investment) and an overall budget that remains at the top end of the table.  

1 hour ago, timmo said:

He did try this with Sam Rush who allegedly knew how to run the club. Would rather have Nick Leeson running the club than Sam Rush

If I remember Sam was there before Mel. So maybe he needs to appoint someone. (I stand to be corrected)

2 hours ago, MK-Ram said:

Can’t imagine enough clubs would have been interested to find out.  If it wasn’t for his surname, he wouldn’t be held in such high regard. The guy has no plan B and whilst he may have been able to assemble a relatively decent first XI at Derby that was only after so many flops it’s hard to count and the current Burton squad is woeful even on a shoestring

its not even a shoe string !!! its that bit of plastic at the end of the lace !!!

there is no other manager that would have even taken that job on, hardly fair to compare with Derbys spending and its not like he was given a massive budget, he trimmed down the crap that was here and set up a solid foundation for others to attempt to build on after him, how ever the builders have been tantamount to cowboys and the walls have caved in !!

3 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

If I remember Sam was there before Mel. So maybe he needs to appoint someone. (I stand to be corrected)

Your correct Sam was bought in after Glick went to man City and before Mel took full control. To be fair to Mel, Sam talked a good game like most slippery salesman and he was sucked in. Since Mel was, in his opinion shafted by Sam I think he'll be keeping a close eye on the purse strings. A director of football reporting to Mel could work though

How can you feel sorry for Mel? It’s absolute Karma.

The guy showed no loyalty to Mac as he sacked him after one bad run to bring in his man Rowett instead.

It’s Karma that one year down the line Rowett walks out the moment a better offer comes along.

Mel deserves this, he’s the one who has constantly let Derby down.

Archived