Next manager, who would you like in charge?

B4ev6is

7 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

I agree with the general sentiment, that Lampard could work, but Zidane, Pep? come on, one had Real Madrid, the other had Barcelona FFS! 

It’s harder to work at the biggest teams as there is far more pressure and they need to demand the respect from those players.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, StaffsRam said:

Both were also club men that knew their respective clubs inside out. They knew the clubs, they knew the league. Lampard won't really know either, so I'd struggle to compare his situation with theirs.

It'll come down to what kind of risk appetite Mel has. Given that any appointment will be a gamble, it's either more risky approach - Lampard, or less risky approach - Smith.

Not compering their situations just stating not every rookie manager has beem terrible. Got to get experiance somewhere & might be more respected as a potential manager than people outside the game realise

**** it. Get Lampard in. Realistically what is the worst that can happen? 

Lampard either turns out to be quality and we get loads of quality loanees or he's not and we get Warnock in when he's sacked in January by Cardiff to save us from relegation.

Or we appoint a supposed safe pair of hands who steadies us as a top half side whilst waiting for the expensive players' contracts to run out.

Just now, McLovin said:

It’s harder to work at the biggest teams as there is far more pressure and they need to demand the respect from those players.

That respect was inherent for both of them though as literally, club legends. They already had the respect of the players, and they had the backing of the fans. As per above, they also both had detailed knowledge of the league. Lampard would likely command respect from the professionals, the players and staff, but as far as the fans go, that'll be divisive from day one. A few bad results to start and it won't take much for the grumbling to start.

As I said, either way's a gamble. I wouldn't be totally against Lampard. It wouldn't be my preference, but I'd certainly back him if it's him.

2 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

Both moved up from B team manager...more of an argument for Wassall than Lampard!

True, however if he had already cut his teeth and been successful we wouldn’t get him.  If Wassal wanted a management role he should have looked for one by now, those that are happy be the bridesmaid should stay that way.

We would see a lot of the younger talent make their way from the bigger clubs and it’s a gamble that may just pay off. 

Get him in ?

Everybody ( well almost ) laughed at me when I posted what I thought were very good reasons why I vote for and hope it is lampard ,,, ,, seems we are warming to it ,,, you know it makes sense?

1 minute ago, StaffsRam said:

That respect was inherent for both of them though as literally, club legends. They already had the respect of the players, and they had the backing of the fans. As per above, they also both had detailed knowledge of the league. Lampard would likely command respect from the professionals, the players and staff, but as far as the fans go, that'll be divisive from day one. A few bad results to start and it won't take much for the grumbling to start.

As I said, either way's a gamble. I wouldn't be totally against Lampard. It wouldn't be my preference, but I'd certainly back him if it's him.

That’s a fair point but I don’t think many fans would turn against him. Appointing him would bring a genuine excitement back to the club for me.

Just now, McLovin said:

That’s a fair point but I don’t think many fans would turn against him. Appointing him would bring a genuine excitement back to the club for me.

There would be a buzz, at least in the short term. You'd also hope that being a forward-thinking attacking midfielder and goal scorer that he'd be more inclined to adopt a positive footballing philosophy as well. 

26 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

He's definitely one of the most intelligent players ever to grace the game. It would also bring a bit of a buzz. However, whatever we say about him is all hypothetical. It's different being an intelligent footballer and an intelligent manager. 

He isn't a coach, he isn't anything. I don't think that's a huge issue, because being a good football manager is like being a good salesman. You can be taught all the tricks in the book, you can have all the experience too, but it's the unique slight differences that makes it a success or not. 

I'm open minded to whoever comes through the door. I would be happier with some more than others, but ultimately I don't care about what they have or haven't done. No guarantee anyone will have success, no guarantee anyone will play how you want to play. Lampard wouldn't be my first choice, but who knows. 

Top post Ambitious. Agree with you wholeheartedly ?

8 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Given today's news stories we should appoint an accountant as manager.

Logging in this evening I thought that something must have happened for the tonnes of pages focused on just Lampard, but it seems a hypothetical situation has generated a huge buzz.  I can't say Lampard would be top of my list given his lack of experience, but as has been said, he has always seemed intelligent, has great contacts, and is appears a natural leader (unlike people like Clement).  We all have to start somewhere and if he can bring someone in as his number 2 with some success (Jody Morris has been mentioned) then I'd definitely be open to this ahead of most of the other names mentioned

Just now, StaffsRam said:

There would be a buzz, at least in the short term. You'd also hope that being a forward-thinking attacking midfielder and goal scorer that he'd be more inclined to adopt a positive footballing philosophy as well. 

That’s what you’d hope but that’s the only thing that is potentially a question mark as we don’t know what is philosophy is. He’s played under many managers who played a variety of styles so he’d be likely to be adaptable. 

Watch this come back to haunt me when he’s more defensive than Rowett ?

C'mon Derby, lets be bold, let's break from the 'norm' and get Frank Lampard in.  Some are saying that he would just use the club as a springboard onto bigger and better things.  Well that's what most managers do, but the thing is with Frank, if this is what he is planning, then the emphasis is on him to do the very best job he can and get his managerial career off to a flyer.  As I've said before, Rangers have taken a chance on Steve Gerard, why shouldn't we take a bit of a gamble with Frank?

Just now, McLovin said:

That’s what you’d hope but that’s the only thing that is potentially a question mark as we don’t know what is philosophy is. He’s played under many managers who played a variety of styles so he’d be likely to be adaptable. 

Watch this come back to haunt me when he’s more defensive than Rowett ?

Well let's hope that he wasn't overly fond of Jose's 'park the bus' approach against better teams....!

Oh something I forgot to put in my list of pro lampard reasons,,, imagine there’s a bit of competition for young prospect player , few clubs he could go to ,,, Frank lampard rates you and wants to sign you up ? ,,,,,,give me the pen, job done 

1 minute ago, archied said:

Oh something I forgot to put in my list of pro lampard reasons,,, imagine there’s a bit of competition for young prospect player , few clubs he could go to ,,, Frank lampard rates you and wants to sign you up ? ,,,,,,give me the pen, job done 

Haha Frank Lampard + Moor Farm = When do I start?

Archived