Derby likely to sell Vydra plus others

RiddingsRam

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I'd want to make sure we're in a position to still challenge regardless of what we have to do financially.

"Any manager would tell you that you would love to get in the play-offs and have a summer where you can recruit very strongly and try to improve the side. But the reality is, after lots of years and lots of managers doing that, I am the manager who has to balance it all out a little bit more."

I just noticed in this article Gary contributes two sentences and only says "the reality is" once!

Hope he's not losing touch?

If we sell Vydra for £8m, especially after selling Hughes & Ince for such measy sums, then I really would be lost for words! 

We sign a player with 3 league goals for £8m then work with him to become the league's top goalscorer and sell him for the same? If I didn't think our club was batshit crazy then I wouldn't even give it the time of day. 

I'll wait and see if it happens, but what a s**tstorm we're in for this summer & next season! Relegation odds currently 20/1 on SkyBet FWIW. 

6 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Surely the number we start off demanding would be a bit higher. Wasn't 8m what we paid for him?

Can't say any of the names are that surprising. The 35m sounds horrendous tho......I think I'd have to mismanage quite hard to achieve that level of spend.

Just a build up of poor decisions over a few seasons. Big one being we’ve had a lot of crucial players who were going out of contract the same season, SAFerguson said in one of his books it’s the worst thing you can do because it gives players the bargaining power for more money. I think this has probably snowballed over time.

1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

What is his value? He’s had 1 good season in 3 years. We got 5 rising to 9 for Will and 9 rising to 12 for Tom. 

If we sold Vydra to a promoted side for 8m, I wouldn’t be devastated as long as it was reinvested on some youth. 

More than that. Bobby Reid is being linked with a move to Bournemouth for £12 million and he scored less than Vydra, it's his 1st good season in his career (albeit he's been a midfielder previously) and he has just 1 year left on his contract. So you're damn right I'll be annoyed if we let Vydra go for just £8 million 

8m?! ***** sake not this ******** again, what is our obsession with selling our best players for **** all? Vydra shouldn’t be going anywhere for a shade less than 20m.

Im not gonna be happy if we sell all the players mentioned in that article and we don’t bring in quality to replace them. Feeling a serious lack of ambition this summer and that’s gravely disappointing given what we achieved this year, and the relative weakness of sides coming down from the prem. Fearing a return to the GSE era of safe football, selling our best players and having a low wage bill while trying to stay competitive in the top half. If that’s the height of our ambitions in this league then what’s the point? If mel can’t afford to pay out the fees (fair play to him, I couldn’t), then sell us up to someone who can.

2 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

What is his value? He’s had 1 good season in 3 years. We got 5 rising to 9 for Will and 9 rising to 12 for Tom. 

If we sold Vydra to a promoted side for 8m, I wouldn’t be devastated as long as it was reinvested on some youth. 

What did Cardiff pay for Gary Madine? About £6m wasn't it - this is a guy that's got as many goals as Vydra this season in 137 league games at this level. 

The Hughes & Ince fees were also beyond belief, too.

Just now, Ambitious said:

What did Cardiff pay for Gary Madine? About £6m wasn't it - this is a guy that's got as many goals as Vydra this season in 137 league games at this level. 

The Hughes & Ince fees were also beyond belief, too.

January is always going to be an inflated price, especially late in the window. 

Ince was about right for me, Hughes was drastically low, Hendrick was too high. I guess that’s how it goes. 

I’m guessing it’ll be similar to last season, in that we’ll have to sell early in the window to get around FFP. I guess it helps us that the Prem window opens on Thursday, so we get a bit longer to negotiate 

Losing Shackell, Bent and Baird will be a good start. Without obviously knowing the exact wages they're on I think it's safe to assume we'll be saving millions on just those three. Throw in Martin and Vydra's wages too and we'll probably save the same again. 

The theory of selling Vydra, Martin, Bryson, Butterfield, Blackman, Anya and co sounds easy.. if only it was. 

We've screwed ourselves over though, clubs took us to the cleaners for transfer fee's when they know we had the money... now they'll be taking our best players at bargain basement prices now we're skint. 

1 minute ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

It won't be 8m if multiple clubs are in for him, but if it's a Will Hughes situation where only 1 club was in, then in our mess we're going to have to take what we're given.

What mess are we in though? I know there's issues with the large wage bill but what else is the issue? 

Archived