Fulham F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

The tie was lost in the first leg.

I was slated for saying the advantage was with Fulham after the first leg, but it was painfully obvious that a one-goal lead was never going to be enough and so it proved. We didn't show enough intent or composure in the first leg to give ourselves a fighting chance. We needed to have won by 2-3 goals. When we didn't, the writing was on the wall.

I am gutted not to go through but we got exactly what we deserved. Serving up a depressingly predictable strategy of defending for 90 minutes and leaving our only shred of attacking quality on the bench until the game was long gone just summed up our lack of quality and ambition.

The scoreline looks respectable, but it's totally misleading. Fulham thoroughly deserved to advance and in truth, they could have won by 4 or 5 tonight and we could have had no complaints. They were by far and away the better side over two legs and if there is one positive we can take, we've been spared the embarrassment of getting thrashed every week in the Premier League. We're nowhere near ready for the Premier League. Off the pitch or on it.

Get strapped in for two or three years of calm and steady rebuilding, because really that's what the club needs to correct the past three years of mismanagement under Mel's ownership.

A top six finish has merely papered over some massive cracks.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

I was slated for saying the advantage was with Fulham after the first leg, but it was painfully obvious that a one-goal lead was never going to be enough and so it proved. We didn't show enough intent or composure in the first leg to give ourselves a fighting chance. We needed to have won by 2-3 goals. When we didn't, the writing was on the wall.

Ah, I’m glad someone had already told us so ?

5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Just cancelled my flights and hotel....thanks Keogh, you saved me a couple of grand, very thoughtful of you...you imbecile. 

Keogh? I suggest you go watch a replay to see wisdom who was marking sessegnon just stand there and admire everyone else trying to stop the shot from the man he was meant to be marking. Keogh did Feck all wrong. 

Fozzy was at fault for the second just ambling out and not attacking the defensive header.

get your facts right before singling out players. Don't forget the free cross that johnson was screaming and waving his hands for his teammates to push out and close down but they didn't.

This season was ruined during the January transfer window. Considering how much was spent on the squad compared to the other top six I'd say it was a fairly successful season. The team did really well over the two legs in the play-offs and showed good effort and mental strength which has been missing in recent seasons. This squads massive changes in the summer and I have no idea how that's going to happen. I really can't decide if I want Rowett here next season or not, all depends whats going on behind the scenes.

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

*puts moderator hat on*

It’s a disappointing night boys and girls, but as a tip, don’t post when you’re angry. Let’s keep it within the forum rules and play nice.

*takes moderator hat off*

Spoil sport 

Chin up lads and ladies. We lost to the best team in the championship since the new year! Their team wouldn’t struggle to finish top 12 now without major investment such is the state of the bottom half of the prem. 

Only disappointment is in the way that we conceded goals especially the corner. 

I wanted Rowett gone and was quite vocal about it. I’ve enjoyed it a lot more since the change in system. If he brings in younger players this summer who can actually play for 90 minutes instead of 70 then who knows what can happen. Realistically I think he’s going to be staying so maybe time to suck it up, get behind him and hope that this system is built on and improved over summer. 

If he delivers that dour ***** from the end of January to about a month ago then he won’t last long. 

I cant help but be a little optimistic about change. Big earners out of contract. A smaller squad, a younger squad hopefully. Enjoy watching England win the World Cup and get yourselves recharged for next season! 

Two poor goals to 'give away'. The best team won though and I hope Fulham make it to the Premier League. We put a lot of effort in but ultimately lacked sufficient quality when it mattered. I predicted a play-off finish which we attained. I hope that next season our football develops so that we look to control games better. All the best everyone.

3 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Keogh? I suggest you go watch a replay to see wisdom who was marking sessegnon just stand there and admire everyone else trying to stop the shot from the man he was meant to be marking. Keogh did Feck all wrong. 

Fozzy was at fault for the second just ambling out and not attacking the defensive header.

get your facts right before singling out players. Don't forget the free cross that johnson was screaming and waving his hands for his teammates to push out and close down but they didn't.

Have watched the replay too many times already thanks to American TVs obsession with fulham.... 

the first goal, Keogh stood there and watched Sessegnon (Who by the way I am better than) walk right in front of him to the six yard box to smash it in. And the second Keogh was stood next to the goal scorer as the corner kick was taken and just watched him walk away and have a free header. 

He is an joke of a footballer. Has to go. Right now. 

3 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

the first goal, Keogh stood there and watched Sessegnon

You're bang on with this. Even as a Keogh fan and defender all season, he was 100% to blame for the first goal, out of position (again) and we were punished for it. 

1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

Have watched the replay too many times already thanks to American TVs obsession with fulham.... 

the first goal, Keogh stood there and watched Sessegnon (Who by the way I am better than) walk right in front of him to the six yard box to smash it in. And the second Keogh was stood next to the goal scorer as the corner kick was taken and just watched him walk away and have a free header. 

He is an joke of a footballer. Has to go. Right now. 

I thought it was Forsyth who let the guy go , certainly SS thought it was him 

Just now, Andicis said:

You're bang on with this. Even as a Keogh fan and defend all season, he was 100% to blame for the first goal, out of position (again) and we were punished for it. 

And to top it off Sessegnon was rubbish for both games...absolute garbage. 

PistoldPete2

Whilst I'm not a fan at all of rowettt style of football, he has done enough to keep his job. Getting us into the playoffs , and avoiding a gutless performance as we saw in the hull play off first leg is as good as we have managed since the 2014 play off final defeat.. That team was certainly much nicer to watch mind. 

I know it’s all a bit raw and I can’t fault the players efforts but how can GR blame the defence for two poor goals tonight??? We had 2 shots on target in 2 games!!! Why not look at our creative side a bit more!!! Thought defence was pretty solid for the most and although I think we could’ve done better defensively for both goals ...I wonder how our defenders feel when we create **** all but then get criticised for a mistake or 2 when it’s like the Alamo being under the cosh all the time !!! Winds me up!!!maybe I’ve had too many beers !!!! 

Create more score more might help Gary ......night everyone and safe journey home all rams fans 

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

avoiding a gutless performance as we saw in the hull play off first leg is as good as we have managed since the 2014 play off final defeat.

You're forgetting about the gutsy, ballsy second leg. We just did it the other way round. We had a gutless second leg instead.

Shame that, was there for the taking. Oh well another year with the bottler tag. Don’t mind the championship to be honest, some good away days added as well. COYR ?

Archived