The Secret Footballer?

Steve How Hard?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, David said:

Isn't it supposed to be Dave Kitson? Read the first book that's it, saw some articles suggest it was him but the book was not entirely accurate. Haven't really followed them since.

Yeah that seems to be the favourite when you Google it. Just wondered if anybody has any other evidence to substantiate that. Cheers.

14 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I'm currently reading one of The Secret Footballer books. Does anybody have any evidence on who it may be? I've googled it but nothing concrete is coming up. Cheers in advance.

I read an interview with him a couple of weeks ago, and he was saying he'd like to unmask himself, but fears he'd be sued by a few folk...

There’s red herrings thrown in there so it doesn’t apply to anybody specifically. I think people have almost certainly narrowed it down to Kitson, but with enough element of doubt to stop him from getting into trouble.

39 minutes ago, cannable said:

As stated above, he wants to reveal himself but reckons he’ll be sued into bankruptcy.

Remaining anonymous wouldn't protect you from legal action though would it, they would get you through the publishers?

22 minutes ago, David said:

Remaining anonymous wouldn't protect you from legal action though would it, they would get you through the publishers?

I thought that as well.

He never names anybody so perhaps it’s a case of ‘if I reveal myself they’ll put two and two together’ 

But then again, if they do sue it’s just going to confirm who it was about to the public eye?

34 minutes ago, David said:

Protected by client privilege unless his words amount to something criminal I'd imagine. No legal requirement to reveal names if its a civil matter only 

While I was away on trains and aeroplanes in germany this weekend a lad from Belper claimed its definately Kitson, hes been weeded out etc etc.... but last i read in the net, he said the only thing stopped legal action aghainst him was the fact it couldnt be proved it was him. (whoever it is)  so i guess this rumbles on.

Danish TV 'unmasked' him in 2013.

There is also a theory that not all of it was written by the same person, but was a collaboration. It was based on a column in the Guardian and there is a suggestion that a number of the later articles were based on stories from Kitson's Stoke City team mate Danny Higginbotham.

Whatever - it's a fascinating read. Especially the bit about how transfers really work.

I always assumed it was numerous different footballers that contributed under the name of 'The Secret Footballer', people have tried matching up all of the events whoever it is has talked about and it seems like either the multiple contributors theory is true or whoever writes it has been stealing stories and anecdotes from other people.

I’m reading The Secret Footballer Access All Areas, this thread made me look up his other books having read just the first one. Has to be Dave Kitson @Steve How Hard?

Talking about his latter stages of his career, joined a club on a short term deal until Christmas but ended up staying on longer as the player he was covering didn’t return.

Kitson joined Sheff Utd on a short term deal until Christmas, ended up seeing the season out.

Thought he was retired but joined a club at the other end of the country, signed for 2 years. The manager leaves half way through the season and the club is taken over in the summer, a manager he has previous with is named manager.

Kitson joins Oxford in 13/14, Chris Wilder leaves in the January. Oxford were taken over in the summer of 2014 and Michael Appleton was put in charge.

Appleton was in charge of Portsmouth whilst Kitson was there. 

2 hours ago, David said:

I’m reading The Secret Footballer Access All Areas, this thread made me look up his other books having read just the first one. Has to be Dave Kitson @Steve How Hard?

Talking about his latter stages of his career, joined a club on a short term deal until Christmas but ended up staying on longer as the player he was covering didn’t return.

Kitson joined Sheff Utd on a short term deal until Christmas, ended up seeing the season out.

Thought he was retired but joined a club at the other end of the country, signed for 2 years. The manager leaves half way through the season and the club is taken over in the summer, a manager he has previous with is named manager.

Kitson joins Oxford in 13/14, Chris Wilder leaves in the January. Oxford were taken over in the summer of 2014 and Michael Appleton was put in charge.

I wouldn't fancy having previous with Appleton, he is an absolute unit these days!

5 hours ago, David said:

It’s like watching Sherlock Holmes work. 

Archived