The Secret Footballer?

Steve How Hard?

Others did the donkey work, would never have guessed it was him had his name not been out there already. Fairly early on goes into detail which you can easily check up on Wiki.

Talks his career up a fair bit, you would think he’s a far better player. If I’m honest I only really remember him at Reading where he was alright I guess. 

His books are enjoyable though, better than the traditional autobiography’s which reveal nothing juicy....saying that Paul Merson’s was good. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Which one did you read @Red_Dawn? I don't recall Steve  Cotterill being mentioned in the one I read. 

The one clearly written by Dave Kitson. Half of the is about his time at Pompey, and Cotternil sticks out like a sore thumb from the anonymised tales. This includes how amazed (and relieved) all the Pompey players were when we decided to actually take Cotterill from them, despite the fact they all thought he was a total throbber and sending them down.. 

2 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

The one clearly written by Dave Kitson. Half of the is about his time at Pompey, and Cotternil sticks out like a sore thumb from the anonymised tales. This includes how amazed (and relieved) all the Pompey players were when we decided to actually take Cotterill from them, despite the fact they all thought he was a total throbber and sending them down.. 

There's some quotes about him here on our forum, about 2/3's down.. Pretty damning stuff!

http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39161&page=5

I thought that Butterfield was the secret footballer - he certainly keeps his ability hidden well enough.

Strangely enough I stumbled across this book for a quid the other day and chanced buying it. Just doing a Stephen King novello to avoid repetition after finishing Colin's autobiography, but expect to start it tomorrow.

Hijacking the thread a bit can folk recommend a few decent footy related reads please. Preferably something with late 80s or 90s references onwards, that focuses on football not family.

Keep meaning to pick up, I think it's Stuart Webb's? But not got there yet.

Intrigued by Gullit's book on tactics etc. I keep seeing knocking about but not made the leap there either.

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Strangely enough I stumbled across this book for a quid the other day and chanced buying it. Just doing a Stephen King novello to avoid repetition after finishing Colin's autobiography, but expect to start it tomorrow.

Hijacking the thread a bit can folk recommend a few decent footy related reads please. Preferably something with late 80s or 90s references onwards, that focuses on football not family.

Keep meaning to pick up, I think it's Stuart Webb's? But not got there yet.

Intrigued by Gullit's book on tactics etc. I keep seeing knocking about but not made the leap there either.

Enjoyed Paul Mersons autobiography. Just finished Howard Webbs too which I found quite interesting.

2 hours ago, Rample said:

I’d recommend Left Foot Forward and Left Foot In The Grave by Garry Nelson.

It follows the life of a self-professed journeyman footballer in a season with Charlton and then again with Torquay when his career is winding down.

Really gives an idea of what it was like for a player at Derby’s level at the time and is very well written.

6 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Just started reading the first one. Pretty good, the money he talks about is disgusting.....! Find it hard to believe it is Kitston, how he talks it is as if he is a little Messi clone..

That's similar to the impression I got. I think @David said something along the same lines. Would never have guessed it was him in a million years. It is an enjoyable read though.

You would think he was a star from a top 6 Prem club the way he talks, not sure if it's to try and put people off the scent or he's just arrogant. Enjoyable the word though, that it is, even more so when you realise it's just Dave Kitson.

Who would have picked up a book with Dave Kitson on the front? Would be in the Tesco £1 basket after a week and I bet that's the real reason why he doesn't want to come out, not legal issues, but this air of mystery keeps the interest for now. 

Seen he has another book coming out as well, milking the series for what it's worth.

9 minutes ago, David said:

You would think he was a star from a top 6 Prem club the way he talks, not sure if it's to try and put people off the scent or he's just arrogant. Enjoyable the word though, that it is, even more so when you realise it's just Dave Kitson.

Who would have picked up a book with Dave Kitson on the front? Would be in the Tesco £1 basket after a week and I bet that's the real reason why he doesn't want to come out, not legal issues, but this air of mystery keeps the interest for now. 

Seen he has another book coming out as well, milking the series for what it's worth.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the air of mystery analysis. Clever concept to be fair. That was part of what drew me in. Just to see if I could work out who it was.  I bet he's made a few bob out of it.

Archived