Callum Guy

17 hours ago, feisty said:

GR and MM asked at the forum if we'd be prepared to moderate our expectations for a season to allow young players to come through. I personally would. I'd be happy to aim for somewhere between 6th and 12th next year if it was explicitly explained this was a transition year, and some highly paid players were being released to a) allow young players to develop; and b) to put us in a much better FFP position so that if we did need to buy the odd player in the following season we'd have capacity to do so

Looks like expectations are being duly moderated!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, McLovin said:

This year was meant to be the “transition years.” Only a matterr of time before it will implode here as people will start to have enough.

Says who? Lots quote 'transition' but how can Rowett have been talking of top 2 at the start of the season? Unless we'd be champions without the drag of transition! :lol:

19 hours ago, feisty said:

GR and MM asked at the forum if we'd be prepared to moderate our expectations for a season to allow young players to come through. I personally would. I'd be happy to aim for somewhere between 6th and 12th next year if it was explicitly explained this was a transition year, and some highly paid players were being released to a) allow young players to develop; and b) to put us in a much better FFP position so that if we did need to buy the odd player in the following season we'd have capacity to do so

I agree with you but the club would fear poor season ticket sales if they came out and said this.

I also think & hope this is the case and the reason why all of our best youngsters have gone out on loan: seeing who is going to make the step up next season - because we're going to need them to.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Says who? Lots quote 'transition' but how can Rowett have been talking of top 2 at the start of the season? Unless we'd be champions without the drag of transition! :lol:

Oh good. This again :whistle:

56 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, yeah. Blame Rowett he said it.

Now when did we get the 'transition season' bit that lots of posters go on about?

And if he'd said that we are looking for a top half finish, people would have slated his lack of ambition.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

According to people on here at least! Every season that we don’t do as well the excuse of a “transition year” will be used

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, yeah. Blame Rowett he said it.

Now when did we get the 'transition season' bit that lots of posters go on about?

Forgive me if I'm being thick, but isn't this season the transition one?

We've changed style, and not quite managed to bring in everyone who Gary wanted to assist in this, yet we sit 5th with 9 games to go.

Isn't this a perfect example of a transition season, where we manage change without the wheels falling off completely?

I'll be honest, I'm far from a fan of what we seem to be moving to, but this late in the season, with a real chance of finishing in the play offs, I'll put such bellyaching to one side while we are in such a good position.

Not as good as the position a few months ago granted, but at the higher end of what I expected. 

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

As McLovin says:

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Every season that we don’t do as well the excuse of a “transition year” will be used

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

No this is the season where we attempted to go for it, instead of rebuilding a young team.

41 minutes ago, RamNut said:

No this is the season where we attempted to go for it, instead of rebuilding a young team.

Despite saying at the start of the season we wanted to build a young team and we didn't want to sign older players or ex Prem players. A strategy that constantly changes isn't a strategy; it's a series of desperate tactical moves. 

9 hours ago, McLovin said:

This year was meant to be the “transition years.” Only a matterr of time before it will implode here as people will start to have enough.

Says who? 

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

According to people on here at least! Every season that we don’t do as well the excuse of a “transition year” will be used

Such as when?

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Nah, that was the Clement season. Crashed and burned and still picking up the tab though I'm one of the few that thinks he could have been given more time.

Rowett may have said that top two was the ambition this season and so it should be, but he also made it clear that a major clear-out and re-build was required. For the sake of clarity, I was not overly keen on his appointment and remain in the 'not sure' camp but one thing I am certain of is that he should only really be judged after two windows. I think it will be clear after the summer whether or not he's the guy to take us forward and also whether he's as one-dimensional as some would have us believe. Like yourself though, I would like to see the likes of Guy, Lowe, McAllister and Timi Max given some game-time next season. I'd wager good money that one or two can make the transition and we'll never know unless we give them the chance.

Archived