Callum Guy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. That's the 1st game they've won since he joined them (12 games I think) and for a good chunk of the earlier games he was used as a right back. Sure he was great today, but if we were signing a player from league 1 to come straight into a 1st team challenging for promotion, we'd expect them to be 1 of the best from that league who's consistently a standout performer. Unfortunately I don't think he's done anywhere near enough yet

He will be part of the first team squad next season with Elsnik and Lowe. Still think we need to invest in this area of the team. Vela from Bolton is a good shout but this means we need the likes of Johnson Bryson and Butterfield out.

If we stay in the championship expect more youth to come through next season. Rowett has fixed the spine of the team, needs youth and energy around them. I think he knows it just hasn’t had the chance to address it yes

He's been getting some positive comments in the Bradford Telegraph and Argus too. I think a lot of the u23's are in the same boat, they won't get many chances so really need to shine when they do. Hopefully the good reports about them will earn them that chance.

I'm not sure that Guy and others like Elsnik and Vernam are ready to start games on a regular basis, but some of them should make the bench next season and they should form the majority of the back up players.

Always looked like the best prospect for me.

Would love to know how he did when training with the first team... looks like a good mix of Thorne and Bryson. Hopefully, he can make step up. I'm pretty sure he can.

PistoldPete2
3 hours ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Two decent loans from him it seems after his port vale jolly last season, hope he can step up to the first team here

Should be able to get in the squad.. especially as we are short of fit midfielders.  Ive never seen him play but woud be nice to see some young uns for a change.

Personally i would hope that guy and vernam are given first team squad places as they are now both 21 and old enough to be given a chance.

at the moment i coming to the view that elevation to the first team squad should be compulsory.

if they are good then we get to build a young exciting team and the academy coaches etc should get dome recognition.. If they aren't good enough then they can go but only they've had a chance to show how good ther are at first team level. Players like rawson never got a chance and drifted away. It would be a shame if that happened too often.

and if they are all crap, then it would be right to focus on the performance of the academy hierarchy for different reasons.

the academy costs a fortune. Time to deliver the first wave of graduates.

On 24 March 2018 at 21:53, BramcoteRam84 said:

He will be part of the first team squad next season with Elsnik and Lowe. Still think we need to invest in this area of the team. Vela from Bolton is a good shout but this means we need the likes of Johnson Bryson and Butterfield out.

If we stay in the championship expect more youth to come through next season. Rowett has fixed the spine of the team, needs youth and energy around them. I think he knows it just hasn’t had the chance to address it yes

I really liked your post. .. Cheers ..

It's how I feel we need to go, despite having respect for some of the old legs that have come in. If we go up the game will change again but Ignoring that for the moment,  I feel the best teams have always had a spine of old heads with 2 or 3 young ones full of desire and ambition. Nothing would fill my boots more than to see the likes of Elsnik, Lowe and Guy in a starting line up. ... With Hudds, Keogh and Nuge to steer them in the right direction when needed. 

11 minutes ago, jono said:

I really liked your post. .. Cheers ..

It's how I feel we need to go, despite having respect for some of the old legs that have come in. If we go up the game will change again but Ignoring that for the moment,  I feel the best teams have always had a spine of old heads with 2 or 3 young ones full of desire and ambition. Nothing would fill my boots more than to see the likes of Elsnik, Lowe and Guy in a starting line up. ... With Hudds, Keogh and Nuge to steer them in the right direction when needed. 

The problem is that the wave of young players .....hanson, guy, vernam, elsnik.....all play central midfield, lawrence might be better in the middle too.

its getting crowded 

11 hours ago, RamNut said:

The problem is that the wave of young players .....hanson, guy, vernam, elsnik.....all play central midfield, lawrence might be better in the middle too.

its getting crowded 

I agree but I also think it's the area where we need the most improvement / change / development.

in the last 4 years as a "regular" we have never really had a consistently dominant midfield. .. A clever one, sometimes, a quick one on others. .. Yes when George was revalation. Or a those games where Will showed what he could have been, or Bryson and Hendrick on their buccaneering best days.. But was it week in week out against most opposition home and away ? If it had been we would have gone up rather than being nearly men.

Archived