Callum Guy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kinda agree with you Curtains. The Guy is almost 21 and has had a couple of decent games. If he was any good then he would have broke through the team regardless of who was ahead of him. 

The only one i feel could have been useful is Elsnik, who was already there or there abouts even when we had Hughes, Hendrick and Dawkins in the first team.

Whenever we talk about our younger players breaking through there are always fans who say they aren't ready, that the club would play them if they were.

I understand where you're coming from and I think this safety first attitude is also reflected in the management and ownership of our club (and many others).

This leads to a system where a limited number of 'proven championship players' or ageing Premier League stars are recycled around clubs searching for that elusive blend that will get them out of the Championship and into the Premier League. 

I wish that clubs would take more risks with young talent/less experienced players. Clough did it because he had to, and it produced some of the most exciting football we saw in recent years.

So long as we don't use them all at once, and give them a decent chance to establish themselves in the team,  I would be 100% behind introducing Guy or Elsnik  (or a few others) into the first team. To me it is part of what football should be about. 

The cracks in my phone screen made me read that as

"This leads to a system where a limited number of 'proven championship players' or ageing Premier League stars are recycled around clubs searching for that elusive **** *** that will get them out of the Championship"

:lol:

(Oh come I've seen worse than that not filtered out!)

41 minutes ago, angieram said:

Whenever we talk about our younger players breaking through there are always fans who say they aren't ready, that the club would play them if they were.

I understand where you're coming from and I think this safety first attitude is also reflected in the management and ownership of our club (and many others).

This leads to a system where a limited number of 'proven championship players' or ageing Premier League stars are recycled around clubs searching for that elusive blend that will get them out of the Championship and into the Premier League. 

I wish that clubs would take more risks with young talent/less experienced players. Clough did it because he had to, and it produced some of the most exciting football we saw in recent years.

So long as we don't use them all at once, and give them a decent chance to establish themselves in the team,  I would be 100% behind introducing Guy or Elsnik  (or a few others) into the first team. To me it is part of what football should be about. 

I’m sorry but that’s not what it’s about for me. 

Players will force their way into the team when they are good enough in the opinion of the management team and not the fans. 

GR and MM asked at the forum if we'd be prepared to moderate our expectations for a season to allow young players to come through. I personally would. I'd be happy to aim for somewhere between 6th and 12th next year if it was explicitly explained this was a transition year, and some highly paid players were being released to a) allow young players to develop; and b) to put us in a much better FFP position so that if we did need to buy the odd player in the following season we'd have capacity to do so

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I agree. 

Football, to me, isn't just about winning games.  Obviously, it's a lot about that: that's the aim at the start of each match.  But, for me, it's also about the team on the pitch representing the fans. Representing the City that they come from. The reason we love young players coming through is that that connection between team and fans is even stronger.  We want our team to make us proud for sure and pride does come from victories. But it's the manner of those victories; and pride also come from how you play, what values of courage and desire and skill you can show, not just the end result.  

Don't get me wrong, I want to get promoted like the next person. But I've got around 40 years of life left in me yet.  I'd be happy to wait a little longer if, when we do, I feel an even greater sense of connection with the team because it has a couple of our own in (in addition to Tom of course)

Young players often need a big stage to express themselves. 

Who from the experts on here would have tipped Jesse Lingard  for a starting spot in the World Cup?

If we spend millions on players they get a go no matter how crap they are.

Give Thomas a go.

3 hours ago, feisty said:

GR and MM asked at the forum if we'd be prepared to moderate our expectations for a season to allow young players to come through. I personally would. I'd be happy to aim for somewhere between 6th and 12th next year if it was explicitly explained this was a transition year, and some highly paid players were being released to a) allow young players to develop; and b) to put us in a much better FFP position so that if we did need to buy the odd player in the following season we'd have capacity to do so

You and I both know that the majority would soon be moaning if it went tits up. For goodness’ sake we have people moaning now, when the expectation was that Gary would do well to get us challenging for the play-offs.

4 hours ago, curtains said:

I’m sorry but that’s not what it’s about for me. 

Players will force their way into the team when they are good enough in the opinion of the management team and not the fans. 

Some players when given an opportunity can suddely blossom. Or even be ordinary and then blossom.

dave langan is probably one of the best examples of the former.

lee carsley is one of the best examples of the latter.

not everyone is a will Hughes who looked a real talent from the start.

give them a go.

12 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Who from the experts on here would have tipped Jesse Lingard  for a starting spot in the World Cup?

This. Was Lingard ready with us? Maybe we saw some of it.

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Of course it is. 

Maybe your mate knew Lingard was going to make it. 

Wonder how much Lingards loan cost Derby. 

You are constantly bringing our mate Mac into things. Get over him!

How can you be so sure that none of our youngsters are ready for a shot in the 1st team is the point. Oh yeah cos Gary says not. :lol:

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You are constantly bringing our mate Mac into things. Get over him!

How can you be so sure that none of our youngsters are ready for a shot in the 1st team is the point. Oh yeah cos Gary says not. :lol:

I’m sure. 

16 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

If we spend millions on players they get a go no matter how crap they are.

Give Thomas a go.

I agree, Harry Kane didn't really set the world on fire when he was on loan at Fester and likewise Lingard with us, yet look at the pair of them now. 

Next season I would like to see the likes of Thomas, Guy, Elsnik and young Bird given mor game time. I sure that at least one of two of those will make it. 

Archived