Self imposed transfer rules

RamNut

we need a few club rules

• max transfer net spend per season £5m
  • maximum age of new signing 30 excluding keepers is (unless another over 30 leaves)
  • Over 30s maximum number of over 30s in squad 6
  • U23 players - player aged 21 is guaranteed  one year in the first team squad
  • U23 players - minimum 3 players aged u23 in the 18 man squad
  • Over 30s - player aged over 35 must be released excluding keepers
  • Over 30s - Player aged 32 or over cannot only be offered 1 year contract extension
  • over 23s who aren't in the 22 have to be sold, released or loaned out.

As a result of the slightly strange transfer activity this season have now have 13 players aged 30 or over 

this is blocking progess of the u23s and isn't a healthy situation for the squad

So we should some self imposed transfer rules

If we applied those rules this season.......

At the start of the season we had 9 players over 30 so we should have released or sold 3

baird, bent could have been two were if not for some daft non-fiduciary contract clauses.

Under these rules  we would have started with a squad something like this....

carson, christie, forsyth, keogh, Shackell, thorne, Johnson, hughes, ince, vydra, Nugent 

roos, Baird, olsson, pearce,  hanson, elsnik, Butterfield, Weimann , russell, Bryson, martin 

either roos or mitchell has to be loaned out / released /sold

Blackman, bent, camara and anya have to be sold / released / loaned out but we still have 1 too many over 30s

The rules force us to think about replacing 1 of the 7 over 30s with a younger player.

we could lose baird but we don't have anyone in the u23s ready to step up. We could lose johnson or bryson if we promote guy or Vernam 

Or we could replace any of them with a younger player

lets assume we lose baird and sign wisdom

carson, wisdom, forsyth, keogh, Shackell, thorne, Johnson, hughes, ince, vydra, Nugent 

roos, Christie, olsson, pearce,  hanson, elsnik, Butterfield, Weimann , russell, Bryson, martin 

now we have a suad of the right size and age profile and can start making further choices

lets say we want to sign Davies but because of his age Davies can come in only if Shackell goes.

carson, wisdom, forsyth, keogh, davies, thorne, Johnson, hughes, ince, vydra, Nugent 

roos, Christie, olsson, pearce,  hanson, elsnik, Butterfield, Weimann , russell, Bryson, martin 

Next the manager wants Huddlestone but because of his age Huddlestone can come in only if johnson or bryson goes. Assume bryson.

carson, wisdom, forsyth, keogh, davies, thorne, Huddlestone, hughes, ince, vydra, Nugent 

roos, Christie, olsson, pearce,  hanson, elsnik, Butterfield, Weimann , russell, Johnson, martin 

Now we should really have be to afford to make those £5m worth of signings but now we have spent uP, so if  the manager wants lawrence at another £5m, he can only come in if we raise another £5m.

we have received bids for hughes £4.5m and ince £11m

under these rules we can't sell hughes to buy lawrence unless we force watford to up their bid a bit, or we got money for another player who has already left. Assume we sell ince to buy lawrence....and we also chose to sell Hughes because we're mad......that creates an opportunity for another u23 player say bennett.

carson, wisdom, forsyth, keogh, davies, thorne, Huddlestone, russell, lawrence, vydra, Nugent 

roos, Christie, olsson, pearce,  hanson, elsnik, Butterfield, Weimann , bennett, Johnson, martin 

Now we are offered a butterfield / winnall swap and the manager wants to do it. 

Winnall coming in means martin or nugent has to go, and butterfield going leaves a hole that would have to be filled by another u23 - guy or vernam - or an u30 new signing e.g. Keiftenbeld. Lets assume we balls up the keiftenbeld signing so at the last minute vernam is ekevated to the squad

carson, wisdom, forsyth, keoghDavies, thorne, Huddlestone, russell, lawrence, vydra, Nugent 

roos, Christie, olsson, pearce,  hanson, elsnik, Johnson, Weimann , bennett, Vernam, winnall

Now the transfer window has closed but we can still sign Ledley. he can only come in if another player goes out on loan, and it would really have to be johnson. Lets assume that by some miracle that happens......

carson, wisdom, forsyth, keoghDavies, Ledley, Huddlestone, russell, lawrence, vydra, Nugent 

roos, Christie, olsson, pearce,  hanson, elsnik, Thorne, Weimann , bennett, Vernam, winnall

Next russell wants to leave and the manager wants to sign jerome. Russell can only go if we sign someone else u30 or we have another u23 ready to step up. We should have some of the hughes / ince money available to spend. we could have £5-10m available to spend. Assume Thomas comes in. But jerome can only come in if nugent goes out.....

carson, wisdom, forsyth, keogh, Davies, Ledley, Huddlestone, weimann, lawrence, vydra, Jerome

roos, Christie, olsson, pearce,  hanson, elsnik, Thorne, thomas , bennett, Vernam, winnall

Finally....lets assume that we had a bid for christie.....christie can only go if we buy an u30 replacement full back or we have yet another u23 good enough to play for the first team. Effectively we shouldn't sell Christie until we have identified a suitable u30 replacement signing or bogle, wassall or cover is considered good enough for the first team. When winnall got injured with zanzala out on loan, we would have to elevate lewis walker to the first team squad.

we are forced to turn over the squad so that we don't acquire too many veterens. U.23 players get elevated to the first team squad, and the manager is forced to make tough choices.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I must just be on a narky mood today but...

There is a little thing called age discrimination which would basically kick that idea in the nuts long before it got off the ground.

What would you do if you couldn't sell the 30 year olds? Shoot them? 

This must be the most stupid post I’ve ever read on here ( well in the last 5 mins). How can age related issues be applied to football??  You can either do it or not. It’s dcfc not b&q ffs. 

9 minutes ago, Doodle said:

This must be the most stupid post I’ve ever read on here ( well in the last 5 mins). How can age related issues be applied to football??  You can either do it or not. It’s dcfc not b&q ffs. 

Fair play if you think it's stupid.

I'd like to see a club try to announce that as soon as you reach the age of 30, you'll be shifted on irrespective of performance or fitness levels. Or in B and q terms whether you're fit to do your job or not.

TobyWanKenobi

Or, we could just play some of our youngsters instead of sending them to sit on benches for lower league teams before inevitably leaving.

48 minutes ago, TobyWanKenobi said:

Or, we could just play some of our youngsters instead of sending them to sit on benches for lower league teams before inevitably leaving.

As Mel said at the fan forum, if we commit to playing more youth players expectations need to be altered accordingly. Would we as a group of fans accept a lower position in the table to allow time to bring them through? I suspect not.

23 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

As Mel said at the fan forum, if we commit to playing more youth players expectations need to be altered accordingly. Would we as a group of fans accept a lower position in the table to allow time to bring them through? I suspect not.

Well I think some of the U23 players are better than some of our first team squad.

Not sure the expectation needs changing just the mindset of the management to give the youngsters a chance.

IF we don't get promoted we might as well have played some of the youngsters. finishing 7th or 17th doesn't really matter. The future of the club and its strategy does.

I don’t disagree with your post Enigma, the problem I see for any prospective under 23 getting a chance is adapting what got them selected for the first team squad to what is required from them in the first team squad.

They will be going from a progressive, attack minded team to a stubborn, pragmatic one, or, from chalk to cheese if you will, where they could look lost after being told to abandon all they’ve been coached previously and adhere to the coaches of the first team.

I thought I read a while back our playing style would be the same throughout the club, from first team right through to juniors, I’m not sure that is actually the case when put into practise.

I might be mistaken on that last bit by the way.

3 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Fair play if you think it's stupid.

I'd like to see a club try to announce that as soon as you reach the age of 30, you'll be shifted on irrespective of performance or fitness levels. Or in B and q terms whether you're fit to do your job or not.

Over 30s get offered 1 year. When they get to 35 they get shot.

I knew i'd get some grief . Not bothered. I was bored.

Just pointing out that GR could have got the players he wanted but has held on to too many veterens.

id have ended up with

carson christie forsyth keogh ROBERTS  thorne russell vydra hughes weimann martin

roos MCCARTHY olsson Rawson LINDSAY hanson bennett  vernam bryson KIWOMYA nugent 

And a load of dead ones.

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

I don’t disagree with your post Enigma, the problem I see for any prospective under 23 getting a chance is adapting what got them selected for the first team squad to what is required from them in the first team squad.

They will be going from a progressive, attack minded team to a stubborn, pragmatic one, or, from chalk to cheese if you will, where they could look lost after being told to abandon all they’ve been coached previously and adhere to the coaches of the first team.

I thought I read a while back our playing style would be the same throughout the club, from first team right through to juniors, I’m not sure that is actually the case when put into practise.

I might be mistaken on that last bit by the way.

The last bit was what I understood the infamous Derby Way to be.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Over 30s get offered 1 year. When they get to 35 they get shot.

Shilton was knocking on 40

Archived