Self imposed transfer rules

RamNut

Can we get a 'yawn' emoji please?

4 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Fair play if you think it's stupid.

I'd like to see a club try to announce that as soon as you reach the age of 30, you'll be shifted on irrespective of performance or fitness levels. Or in B and q terms whether you're fit to do your job or not.

Yeah, Davies, Keogh and Carson are well past it, aren't they?

Time to jog them on, 'like you say' :p

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 86 points said:

You can have up to 6 remember

just shouldn't have 13

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

I think you're misunderstanding the posters intention.

He's arguing against a policy based on age, not for it, it you read the whole thread.

5 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

I'd like to see a club try to announce that as soon as you reach the age of 30, you'll be shifted on irrespective of performance or fitness levels. Or in B and q terms whether you're fit to do your job or not.

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I think you're misunderstanding the posters intention.

He's arguing against a policy based on age, not for it, it you read the whole thread.

It's a bit ambiguous but if so fair play - soz @ronnieronalde I read your post as being pro-age limit not the reverse. 

If we have an academy then the academy graduates have to be a significant part of the squad, otherwise there is no point.

at the moment there is no way of knowing if these players are good enough.

so i'd rather have farrend rawson in reserve than a 34 year old.

id rather have bennett than anya

etc

TobyWanKenobi
5 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

As Mel said at the fan forum, if we commit to playing more youth players expectations need to be altered accordingly. Would we as a group of fans accept a lower position in the table to allow time to bring them through? I suspect not.

So Mel thinks our youth academy is not producing good enough players?

Comforting.

13 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

The retirement age is 65 and rising, if they were employees in the usual sense, surely we would have to keep them till then. The fact is they are assets on short term contracts so can be shifted out at any age a club decides once said contract is expired or paid off. They never will get rid of everyone at 30 of course, because some will be good enough to carry on, but it doesn’t alter the fact that they could. 

Sith Happens
13 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Like Logan’s Run?

Anybody over30 gets vaporised automatically?

Now all I can think of is Jenny Agutter in that short dress....:lol:

Sith Happens
7 hours ago, RamNut said:

If we have an academy then the academy graduates have to be a significant part of the squad, otherwise there is no point.

at the moment there is no way of knowing if these players are good enough.

so i'd rather have farrend rawson in reserve than a 34 year old.

id rather have bennett than anya

etc

We dont need to know, only Gary and the coaching staff need to know this.

Sith Happens

I do get what is being said, i'd like to see more youth in the team, if they are ready of course and not just 'because'

When we got to the play off final we had quite a young team, and that was good to see.

We really dont know how good our young players are, someone can look great in the u23 but its a different level completely. I do believe if they were good enough they would be getting picked.

Our academy for all its plaudits hasn't produced that much in the way of top quality players, we get quite a few go on to have careers but at lower levels, we havent had many hughes or hendricks over the years.

Be nice to know what Forest do, for all the criticism of them they do seem to produce from their academy.

I dont believe the answer is to impose rules on older players, the answer has to be get the younger players to be good enough to play in the first team. I dont know the answer of course, but do believe if a player is good enough he will get picked.

Chelsea have a sort of age based policy in that they only offer short term contracts  (1year) over a certain age which I believe is 35.

So the concept is not unknown.

Personally don't care about age per se. But if Gary rowetts preferred style is the gangnam press and he signs players who are only capable of doddering slowly around after 30 minutes then he's got to expect some criticism :lol:

13 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Chelsea have a sort of age based policy in that they only offer short term contracts  (1year) over a certain age which I believe is 35.

So the concept is not unknown.

Personally don't care about age per se. But if Gary rowetts preferred style is the gangnam press and he signs players who are only capable of doddering slowly around after 30 minutes then he's got to expect some criticism :lol:

I have this vision of all our players doing Gangnam Style around the pitch,perhaps that would be better?

8 hours ago, TobyWanKenobi said:

So Mel thinks our youth academy is not producing good enough players?

Comforting.

Not really, Mel thinks that young players need time to adjust to senior football which could impact results and that our fans would be unwilling to accept that impact.

Given the hysteria we sometimes see on here after a defeat I am inclined to agree with him.

TobyWanKenobi
3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Not really, Mel thinks that young players need time to adjust to senior football which could impact results and that our fans would be unwilling to accept that impact.

Given the hysteria we sometimes see on here after a defeat I am inclined to agree with him.

They'll take even longer to adjust if we're not willing to give them any time at all.

6 hours ago, Doodle said:

The retirement age is 65 and rising, if they were employees in the usual sense, surely we would have to keep them till then. The fact is they are assets on short term contracts so can be shifted out at any age a club decides once said contract is expired or paid off. They never will get rid of everyone at 30 of course, because some will be good enough to carry on, but it doesn’t alter the fact that they could. 

Youre arguing about a hypothetical set of ramnut made up circumstances that could never and will never happen. 

Fair play. 

Happy Sunday ?

15 minutes ago, TobyWanKenobi said:

They'll take even longer to adjust if we're not willing to give them any time at all.

That’s correct but as I’ve said before you can’t just drop someone who is better to accommodate a player for the sake of it. 

We have a highly touted Academy so if it isn't producing potential first team players then that is a flaw in the set-up. 

Maybe at the same time look at our scouting performance - do any of our scouts actually hold a valid passport ????

Archived