Jamie Carragher

MuespachRam

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Inglorius said:

When the alleged offence is classified as gross misconduct then a potential sanction is instant dismissal.  

Yes, and that's for him and his employer to sort out. But when people on forums and social media, that are totally disconnected for the incident, jump to "sack him!", I find that mind set bizarre. 

"He ******* up. I demand you remove his livelihood!"

1 hour ago, TroyDyer said:

Yes, and that's for him and his employer to sort out. But when people on forums and social media, that are totally disconnected for the incident, jump to "sack him!", I find that mind set bizarre. 

"He ******* up. I demand you remove his livelihood!"

Go and spit at your boss, or if self employed your biggest customer, let me know the outcome.

I'm not saying sack him, just know that if an employee of mine was filmed spitting at a person, regardless of being goaded or not, it shows they have no self control, therefore cannot be trusted.

Lashing out with a slap, perhaps a punch can be seen as instinctive reaction when threatened, spitting, however, is calculated and very deliberate, degrading act.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

Go and spit at your boss, or if self employed your biggest customer, let me know the outcome.

I'm not saying sack him, just know that if an employee of mine was filmed spitting at a person, regardless of being goaded or not, it shows they have no self control, therefore cannot be trusted.

Lashing out with a slap, perhaps a punch can be seen as instinctive reaction when threatened, spitting, however, is calculated and very deliberate, degrading act.

That would be a legitimate point if A. The people in the car were his bosses. 2. They were his biggest customer. I'm assuming by how they were shouting abuse and goading him, that they were neither. 

I don't condone spitting. I think it's disgusting. But then I think random members of the public demanding that someone they don't know, loses their living, is pretty disgusting too.  Pretty disgusting, and also a bizarre default position to take. 

Human does something wrong = Take food off his and his families table. Extraordinary. 

3 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

I agree that's why I said a potential sanction, however the harsh reality under employment law is that Sky would be safely justified to sack Carragher from his job. Whether they do that remains to be seen however I reiterate Sky would find it reasonable to terminate Carragher's contract given the evidence in front of them. 

9 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

That’s the funniest thing about it he wasn’t goaded into anything, it was pathetic, the provocation wasn’t high at all. 

He said it happened multiple times, so you could certainly argue he was goaded. He's an idiot for reacting. But I don't believe he should be a jobless idiot.

Sith Happens

It says in the press the father wont be charged but will be spoken to by the police to advise him on the legality of using the phone when driving.

If this is true its crazy.

19 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

It says in the press the father wont be charged but will be spoken to by the police to advise him on the legality of using the phone when driving.

Weak if true. Rules on phones whilst driving are pretty clear. Carragher's actions are disgusting but the driver was the bigger danger. One could lose his job and the other a minor talking to. What a strange world we live in.

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Weak if true. Rules on phones whilst driving are pretty clear. Carragher's actions are disgusting but the driver was the bigger danger. One could lose his job and the other a minor talking to. What a strange world we live in.

Indeed.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Not that crazy, the bloke filming can get done for the offence of driving without due care and attention (careless driving) under section 3 of the RTA 1988 is committed when the defendant's driving falls below the standard expected of a competent and careful driver - section 3ZA(2) of the RTA 1988.

The maximum penalty is a level 5 fine. The court must also either endorse the driver's licence with between 3 and 9 penalty points (unless there are "special reasons" not to do so), this can be applied to Jamie as well.

If they go there then the bloke can call Jamie out on assault charges, best let it die in the next news cycle.

Sith Happens
19 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Not that crazy, the bloke filming can get done for the offence of driving without due care and attention (careless driving) under section 3 of the RTA 1988 is committed when the defendant's driving falls below the standard expected of a competent and careful driver - section 3ZA(2) of the RTA 1988.

The maximum penalty is a level 5 fine. The court must also either endorse the driver's licence with between 3 and 9 penalty points (unless there are "special reasons" not to do so), this can be applied to Jamie as well.

If they go there then the bloke can call Jamie out on assault charges, best let it die in the next news cycle.

Surely he should be charged i mean.

You can bet that the final decision will be made at a very senior level in Sky after they have tried to assess the damage to their brand by the publicity and by trying to second guess the reaction to their business by keeping him or sacking him - both courses of action will have detractors.

If it were my decision, and presuming that the public's view according to social media, press and my postbag is largely supportive, I would take into account his genuine and quick (I think) contrition, the reported view of the family and his previous good record. I would also consider his value as a pundit and the views of the football world and give him a final warning plus a very large fine to be donated to an appropriate charity (NSPCC, sport relief or some Manchester children's charity)

If I were Carragher and his agent I would suck up whatever punishment I were given and, in about 3 months time, go on a sustained positive self promotion exercise for a year - Jamie works with disabled kids, Jamie does sport relief, Jamie helps the elderly etc. I would also develop a wider punditry career.

The downside for Sky is then the law of sod. You can bet that the first match (or the 20th) he's a pundit on will involve a player sent off for spitting at another. And that's their long term problem. Can he do his job properly given these events.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Greater Manchester Police have spoken to the motorist who filmed Jamie Carragher spitting towards his car while both were driving on Saturday.

Enquiries are continuing but it is understood both Carragher's actions and the filming of the incident while driving could be punishable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43387013

Well I hope the driver does get done, its was clearly very dangerous what he was doing, not only handling the phone, but also not looking at the road.

Give him a ban, serves him right for being an idiot.

They both cannot have been in total control of their cars, a punishment for both should be forthcoming, and Carragher for the disgusting act.

Sith Happens

Pictures of the dad on newspaper websites now. I reckon he is going to regret his moment of idiocy and moment of greed when he sold the video to the Mirror.

Its hard to say who comes out of it worse him or Carragher, but if i was him i'd keep a low profile for a while, some idiot will take a pop i'm sure.

Sith Happens
Just now, WharfedaleRam said:

Things would have been so much better if neither of them had wound their windows down!

Carragher would have looked a right **** spitting against his closed window. :p

Archived