Optimist or Pessimist

Rab a dab doo

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we will go up.

i think wolves and villa will pull away.

i think we will end up scrapping it out with cardiff, fulham, sheff utd, bristol city etc .

not sure why that should make me a pessimist but it probably will.

By the terms of the question asked, I'm a pessimist, I don't think we'll go up automatically. However, given the expectations of most people on here last summer, we've already had an excellent season and even if we don't make it this time I'm optimistic for the future.

I'm a pessimist, I think we'll make the playoffs but as injuries creep in, I can't see us staying in the fight for automatics. We're too reliant on a few key players, much like McLarens 2nd season, if we lose Vydra, Davies or Keogh for a run of games we'll slide quite quickly

I’m both ,, optimist in the main but as a derby and Scotland supporter their is always that nagging feeling that things will go tits up when you get optimistic 

I think if i said that if we went up in the play - offs that would be optimistic if we look at our start of season expectations - we all thought we would settle for just under the play offs. Miles away from where we are now.

Just be grateful and enjoy the position we are in and hope that it improves - Then come the end of the season evaluate where we are then and what we can go on to do

Probably a pessimist. I tend to err on the side of caution and routinely predict a Rams defeat (I figure that to do otherwise would be to tempt fate).

But, more acutely, I am a realist. I don't think we'll go up and never have done - even when he had a cushion over 3rd. Wolves have won it. Villa's problem was always gaining momentum and now they have I think they'll pull away. But, look - so they should. Wolves have spent enough money x2 to guarantee promotion so anything but is a failure. Fair play to them. Villa have a PL squad far better than this division if you look solely on player for player. They have a huge wage budget and so, they should be going up. The top two are what SHOULD be the top two if you look at expectation.

I don't think we'll go up in the play-offs but how do you predict such a crazy few games?! I tend to think that a team coming in with momentum will win it (I still think back to Palace under Dowie in 03?) and so my money is possibly on Fulham. But Rowett has built a capable side.

This team has exceeded expectation. I wasn't excited about this season - I thought we'd languish mid table and so to make the play offs is a real achievement and should be judged as such. I suspect it'll be judged with the usual 'we blew a top 2 spot with our traditional early year collapse' - it shouldn't. If we go up - and we still have every chance - it would be incredible. I don't think we will but, given the sides around us, we shouldn't really expect to. UTR!

I regard myself as an optimist generally with Derby County being the exception to the general rule. 

At the start of this season I was hopeful that we’d compete for the lower end of the playoffs and that GR would avoid public execution as a result.

A few games in I was still hoping and defending GR’s tenure as solidly as Carson....and hoping like hell Mel had learned his lessons.

By 20-25 games in, I was stoked with our progress. In trying circumstances, GR had managed to transform our fragile squad of individuals into a genuinely solid, cohesive, united and committed team. And we’ve been improving the longer the season has progressed. Even then, I found us neck-and-neck with Villa for autos when predicting the rest of the season.

Our results have tended to exceed our performances instead of the reverse, as had been the case since Mac 1.

Could not have been happier if I’d sent GR a list of the improvements I’d love to see from his side by the halfway point of the season. Even now - if this is the run we look back on at season’s end as a bit of a slump - we’re drawing matches we would’ve surrendered calamitously in our ‘downers’ of recent seasons.

So I do consider myself an optimist forecasting a finish of second or third - fourth at worst because I do rate Cardiff and I think they’ve had their lean patch - with only a point or two separating us from automatic promotion if we, in fact, don’t win it ourselves.

Based on the more rapid than expected improvement in our areas of greatest weakness, I’m still an optimist even if we do happen to miss promotion this season.

As an aside, I also regard myself as a total rationalist. I’m one of the least superstitious people I know too.

Except insofar as Derby County is concerned.

So...why the hell are we even talking about this???

It's being so cheerful as keeps me going.

As long as Carson is fit we can expect at worst to win the playoffs at Wembley.

If for any reason Scott is unable to play I still expect us to finish in the top six but I won't be so certain of us winning promotion.

Still, it's a nice position for an optimist like me to find myself in as a Rams fan!?

This doesn't land well with me but I don't know what to make of Derby as a team .I think the defence is well on top of their game ,I watched the interaction between the players on Saturday and they are well in control and I say this despite the two centre backs looking more shaky than they have for a long time .

The midfield is a cause for concern ,BJ doesn't work well with TH ,George is not back to his best yet [understandably] and Ledley has been out and needs to play again IMO .It's also very slow Norwich ran rings round it .

Losing JR is losing a number as he Anya and  AW are all ok and on a par, I feel if we had real ambitions of promotion a top winger was a necessity.Looks like we tried but it didn't come off  we may live to regret that. TL has ability needs to start making it count.

It's a blow losing SW but providing everyone stays fit them CJ ,DN and MV should see us through .

We are doing better than I expected but I don't think we will make the top two thats being realistic not pessimistic .They just don't convince me .

Pessimist because as a derby fan I’ve literally never seen us have a good run in. Not compared to the form for the rest of our season. I’ve literally been broken so much so that I never get my hopes up for them to be dashed. Can anyone actually remember the last time we had a good run over February- April time? Even in the promotion season our form slipped, same in 13-14. Rather frustrating given it’s such a key period that we always seem to slip up, some years more significantly than others, while some of our rivals pick up pace. I can only assume it was better in the Jim smith promotion season, tho I wasn’t alive to see it.

Archived