Lawrence had big hand in all 3 goals

Curtains

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Is Tom lawrence weighed down by his price tag?

Are expectations getting to him, is his confidence in tatters, is he just not finding his feet, is Keogh constantly eyeing him, has he developed a nervous twitch.  These are all questions one might ask if one was quite mad

He's adapting to a new team, is still developing as a player.

Rowett knows what he's doing

6 hours ago, Redcar said:

Lawrence is marmite, you either love him or hate him.

I believe he’s had the most assists this season?? We need to get behind the lad... but not in a homo way.

Show me a Derby fan who hates a Derby player and I will show you a prat.

I really hope Lawrence becomes the player he can be. I get frustrated when he takes every free kick and when he runs down blind alleys when other players are available.

That' s the reaction of a fan who wants the best possible outcome for Derby County.  It doesn't mean I hate Tom Lawrence or wish him ill. 

I haven't got the willpower to put anyone on ignore, the curiosity always gets the better of me.

As for Tom, a combination of the large fee and the exceptional YouTube clips of his time at Ipswich possibly gave us an unreasonable expection.

I was critical of him earlier in the season, but I find he's growing on me.

Unlike Tom Ince, he doesn't have to be on top form for us to still have a chance of winning a game, now I've realised that I'm much more relaxed about his inconsistencies, which all players of his type have.

This is down to a more balanced team, which can carry a passenger. 

Not only that, but I honestly think one day it will all fall into place for him here, and he'll be unstoppable.

Hopefully this season, he could be the difference between autos and play-offs, or worse, I'm not counting chickens yet

You know what @curtains I really like him,he’s one of the players I pay my money to watch.

I did think on Saturday he was a little off for whatever reason.

I couldn’t work out if he was trying too hard,short of confidence,half a yard short of pace or just being a disciplined professional and doing what he had been asked to do.

What he has got is the ability to turn a game on his own and I’m bloody glad he signed for us.

Lets not do a Cyrus Christie to him.

15 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think a lot is what you personally value in a player.

I think Lawrence is poor. I think Dawkins was quality. So I think that goes to show you what I value in a player.

I don't disagree with Dawkins.

Shame his international commitments meant he couldn't show his best to Clement, if he'd been inclined to look.

Assists is almost completely useless stat. 

When following the assist stat you get players like Iniesta, Modric etc are no more creative than Ashley Young. 

I've seen Ben Davies get an assist for a shot that rolled to Martin. I've seen Russell get an assist for rebounding it off the keeper into a strikers path. 

It's a ******** stat. Use your eyes. You have to. 

Same as shots on/off target. What's closer? 80 yard pass back or a 1v1 clipping the outside of the post? But you get people saying "it took 60 mins to register a shot on target."

He played a part in 3 goals.

Sounds desperate. 1 he took a corner. 2 he missed a chance unless it was a clever pass bounced off the keeper. I will give goal 3 as creativity because it was a pass (on time!!) that Winnall spun excellently.

Taking a corner and missing a chance. C'mon. Love him or hate him. Rate him or slate him. 2 of these things were nothing like creative.

Although it is amazing how many players can't kick a dead ball for thousands of pounds per week. 

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I really hope Lawrence becomes the player he can be. I get frustrated when he takes every free kick and when he runs down blind alleys when other players are available.

That' s the reaction of a fan who wants the best possible outcome for Derby County.  It doesn't mean I hate Tom Lawrence or wish him ill. 

That goes for me too.

I think he's crap tbh. But I wouldn't say he'll always be crap (unlike Sammon)

His dribbling ability is good. He's got nice balance about him. The way he shifts his weight at pace. Nice close touches. He's pretty decisive. Always gets straight to what he wants to do.

But it's all misdirected. Too often he's made up his mind to go on a rampage and ignored 5 players in better positions. He's decided he wants a goal and he will sacrifice the good of the team to get one. He complicates simple things for what? So he can catch the eye? 

I just don't rate him because he's selfish. But so was Ibe. And quite suddenly Ibe toned it down and opened his eyes. As soon as Lawrence does then he could be a good player. 

Lift your head up ffs!

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Assists is almost completely useless stat. 

When following the assist stat you get players like Iniesta, Modric etc are no more creative than Ashley Young. 

I've seen Ben Davies get an assist for a shot that rolled to Martin. I've seen Russell get an assist for rebounding it off the keeper into a strikers path. 

It's a ******** stat. Use your eyes. You have to. 

Same as shots on/off target. What's closer? 80 yard pass back or a 1v1 clipping the outside of the post? But you get people saying "it took 60 mins to register a shot on target."

He played a part in 3 goals.

Sounds desperate. 1 he took a corner. 2 he missed a chance unless it was a clever pass bounced off the keeper. I will give goal 3 as creativity because it was a pass (on time!!) that Winnall spun excellently.

Taking a corner and missing a chance. C'mon. Love him or hate him. Rate him or slate him. 2 of these things were nothing like creative.

Although it is amazing how many players can't kick a dead ball for thousands of pounds per week. 

I'm a bit surprised.

Why do we have to rate him or slate him?

Can't we accept that although it's not quite happening for him at the moment, it may well do in the future?

As it is, he's not exactly harming our performances at the minute. 

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'm a bit surprised.

Why do we have to rate him or slate him?

Can't we accept that although it's not quite happening for him at the moment, it may well do in the future?

As it is, he's not exactly harming our performances at the minute. 

I didn't mean you had to do either. I more meant whatever you think of him. Whatever good or bad he does there was nothing special or significant in his role in the first 2 goals. It's misleading to say he played a part in all 3. To say that you'd have to say it about 5,6,7 other players. But you wouldn't. 

I have no problem with him being in the team. Sometimes the best players in the best position just doesn't work. It's the dynamic of the team. I wouldn't expect him dropped when the team performs well with him in it. 

He may run into dead ends. But like Russell, I think his ball carrying and eating up territory helps the team momentum even if he does end up in a defenders pocket. Better than say Johnson who might try an ambitious pass while our team is still trying to recover

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think a lot is what you personally value in a player.

I think Lawrence is poor. I think Dawkins was quality. So I think that goes to show you what I value in a player.

I think Lawrence has much to improve on and is struggling lately but Dawkins is so much more weaker, that he isn’t in the same conversation as Lawrence.

4 hours ago, Ninos said:

I think Lawrence has much to improve on and is struggling lately but Dawkins is so much more weaker, that he isn’t in the same conversation as Lawrence.

Depends on what you look for in a player. Dawkins has better control, vision, technique, passing ability and awareness.

Lawrence is more direct, more of a goal threat, quicker in terms of acceleration and covers more ground.

Players like Weimann and Lawrence suit a Rowett team. They’d be lost at somewhere like Fulham or any other team who prefers to play possession-based football.

I can forgive Lawrence’s shortcomings. He’s not a technical player. But for me he doesn’t utilise what he has got in his locker. His decision-making annoys me and he’s far too selfish considering his moderate ability.  

He has the tools to be a dangerous player. He has the tools to stretch teams and provide our fellow forwards with goalscoring opportunities. For me, if anything, he’s at times a hindrance for the likes of Nugent and Vydra. Countless times there are better options on when he decides to take it alone, either by trying to beat one man too many or taking a pointless long range shot.

Archived