Lawrence had big hand in all 3 goals

Curtains

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, curtains said:

Battling against the few on here that just don’t realise what a gifted footballer Tom Lawrence is. 

He is probably our best option for the Premier League ability wise along with Vydra. 

Carson, davies, huddz, keogh, ledley.........

Just now, curtains said:

Bit old .

Carson yes. 

Would we beat 11 points lol with them. 

I hope so. We'd hate to go through anything remotely like that again.

He's got a chance. 24 years old. Nice balance. Decent shot.

But way behind Will Hughes. 

Arthur Cox used to say that certain young players - ramage and haywood? - could either become internationals or would end up playing for a pub team. Both extremes were an exaggeration but tom might begin to fall into that category. 

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

He's got a chance. 24 years old. Nice balance. Decent shot.

But way behind Will Hughes. 

Arthur Cox used to say that certain young players - ramage and haywood? - could either become internationals or would end up playing for a pub team. Both extremes were an exaggeration but tom might begin to fall into that category. 

Steve Hayward blimey that’s one from the memory bank but I take your point. 

Is it Jack Haywood you mean lol. 

Is he "crap"? No, he isn't 'crap'.  He clearly has talent, but it isn't always being put to the best use.  To call him crap is a bit OTT and, in any event, he is part of a pretty successful team so far. I think a more appropriate description would be 'ineffective' (??)

Is he the player we hoped he would be? Not yet, no.  As many have pointed he has a number of failings in terms of final product.  I think he is trying too hard (I think George is too TBH).  He needs to be content that doing the simple thing is not a reflection on his ability or that he won't get slaughtered for not taking on his man again and again.

Could he become that player?  Of course.  Look at the history of players who got off to shaky starts (and his is far from the shakiest) to come good.  Even his biggest critics seem to see something in him.  

At the end of the day, if he was dropped I would shrug my shoulders and think that the team probably won't be massively worse off, but equally I have no problem with him being on the team as at some point I think he will crack it.  

To be honest I think we all mostly feel that there is a lot more to come which is a big positive but I would like him to start putting the free kicks onto people’s heads rather than putting them well wide of goal or let someone else have a go

The price tag, alongside him being touted as Ince's replacement, are two enormous millstones around his neck.

I suspect – much like Vydra – he'll eventually come good. Might just take him a season or so to find his way.

I guess what I find an incey-wincey bit irritating is how "undroppable" he is. If he wasn't a Rowett's marque signing of the summer, I honestly think he'd be in-and-out the team on current form. 

Tom Lawrence couldn't get in Leicester's side before the strengthened in his position.

I'm not saying he can't perform in the prem but there's evidence against it, while only hopeful thinking for it.

Tom needs to listen to the older more seasoned pros around him, head up and making the right pass at the right time.

Nothing wrong with his ability, I'm sure as others have said, it will come with time.

Take a leaf out of Nugent's book and smile a bit more too.

2 hours ago, LazloW said:

Is he "crap"? No, he isn't 'crap'.  He clearly has talent, but it isn't always being put to the best use.  To call him crap is a bit OTT and, in any event, he is part of a pretty successful team so far. I think a more appropriate description would be 'ineffective' (??)

Is he the player we hoped he would be? Not yet, no.  As many have pointed he has a number of failings in terms of final product.  I think he is trying too hard (I think George is too TBH).  He needs to be content that doing the simple thing is not a reflection on his ability or that he won't get slaughtered for not taking on his man again and again.

Could he become that player?  Of course.  Look at the history of players who got off to shaky starts (and his is far from the shakiest) to come good.  Even his biggest critics seem to see something in him.  

At the end of the day, if he was dropped I would shrug my shoulders and think that the team probably won't be massively worse off, but equally I have no problem with him being on the team as at some point I think he will crack it.  

excellent points 

He's ok.

Does some good things.

Does some very good things.

Does some not good things. 

Does some crap things.

I really want to think he's a great player at this level, but he isn't showing it on any sort of consistent basis.

But we don't really have anyone to take his place, so he carries on getting the nod and hopefully it will come.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Tom Lawrence couldn't get in Leicester's side before the strengthened in his position.

I'm not saying he can't perform in the prem but there's evidence against it, while only hopeful thinking for it.

Martin couldn’t get in League One Swindon’s side 

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

Martin couldn’t get in League Omd Swindon’s side 

Er...

He was at Swindon from 15 November until February 2 and played in all of Swindon's games during that period, starting half of them.

By contrast, Lawrence has played 3 games for Leicester in his career.

Again, not saying he can't do well in the prem but there's zero evidence he can, it would just be a try it and see scenario. What I do know for sure is not making the most of the opportunities and just running into defenders when there's a pass available will be punished far harder in the prem.
He's just got to work that out of his game. He's young, he can.

3 hours ago, Mistaram said:

No good giving in just tell us who you think are inferior players to Lawrence if your not prepared to say then don't say it in the first place 

Oh wow the arrogance is tangible of yourself. 

Right Tom Lawrence is the most gifted player on the books apart from Huddlestone, Vydra and a fit Thorne. 

Tell me which other players can control the ball and get out of tight spaces like he can. 

PS.   You answer me this who is more skilful 

3 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

He's ok.

Does some good things.

Does some very good things.

Does some not good things. 

Does some crap things.

I really want to think he's a great player at this level, but he isn't showing it on any sort of consistent basis.

But we don't really have anyone to take his place, so he carries on getting the nod and hopefully it will come.

Good summary !But is he worth 7 million ,not so sure

8 minutes ago, Seaside Sam said:

Good summary !But is he worth 7 million ,not so sure

Thank you. He's not worth seven million, not at the moment anyway, that's just the supposed amount Derby agreed (eventually) to pay for him. Lots of talk that it was nearer £4.5m but that might not include add ons, promotion clause etc

Archived