Lawrence had big hand in all 3 goals

Curtains

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, curtains said:

Don’t even think about thinking I’m not Vydras biggest fan. 

I am just making the point that I rate Lawrence and even though he sometimes gets it wrong he also gets alot  right. 

Yes he gets a lot right but all I can tell you is that he can do much better by adding some vision :

I hope GR isn’t Molly coddling him and is addressing what is a) some wastefulness and b) his seeming obsession to go for goal regardless of the probability, often neglecting a layoff for an easy goal by a teammate. 

With respect to Vyds you get the impression that lately he’s been too unselfish. 

But it’s all fine tuning - the team is playing fantastic as a whole unit - regardless who plays.

Lawrence is fine. We can't have an entire team of 'functional' players, we need players like him to try things because when they work they can be the difference between points or no points (Fulham away for example).

I can see the frustration when he tries things in inopportune situations and his decision making can be improved, but we also don't want to coach him to the point where he loses any creativity and becomes another bog standard winger running up and down the same bit of turf putting in the odd decent cross.

50 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Lawrence is marmite, you either love him or hate him.

I believe he’s had the most assists this season?? We need to get behind the lad... but not in a homo way.

He takes all the corners and many of the free kicks. What do you expect. 

He isn't that bad, but he does make some bad decisions and the majority of set pieces are poor.  I guess when you are trying to do the more difficult things (dribbling, through balls, generally trying to create) and you have the prominent role of chief corner taker and free kick taker, then you are in the unenviable position of having to "DO SOMETHING" (as the serial whinger who sits near me likes to scream periodically).  Every mistake, no matter how large or small is also magnified... and when you try difficult things they aren't going to come off all the time, so this gets magnified too.  

Now, combine this with people actively seeking out somebody to focus their ire on and you have a situation whereby all of his frailties- which he does have - are blown out of proportion.  

Just now, sage said:

He takes all the corners and many of the free kicks. What do you expect. 

All of his free kicks are poor though according to his detractors and it’s true it’s an  area he needs to improve his game on so how does that create all his assist stats ?

Poor lad is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

The expectation when he arrived was goals, goals and more goals. So when they didn't come people started to get on his back. He then scores a snorter and every one is expecting more. So he tries to go forward and get goals and when it doesn't come off, they then lambaste him for not passing.

Now he tries to get in and pass to someone in a better position and he gets lambasted for not shooting.

This guy needs to build up his confidence and get the balance right. Get off his back and maybe, just maybe that might happen.

Rant over!!!

19 minutes ago, curtains said:

All of his free kicks are poor though according to his detractors and it’s true it’s an  area he needs to improve his game on so how does that create all his assist stats ?

please find the post where I or anyone else said all his free kicks are poor.

Though all of his 'Ronaldo' free kicks are poor

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

At Pride Park people moan at him in the crowd. 

At Pride Park, every player gets moaned at. He has some ability but he doesn't look up when running with ball and his 'Ronaldo' free kicks are laughable. 

Not sure why a post praising a player has to them turn into one comparing him against someone who not only plays in the same team but also plays a different position.

I get some people dont think he is contributing to a game or is ineffective etc...however at least the debate the actual player with reasoned opinions, even if they are wrong ?

More than anyone else, he has the ability to show that one bit of magic that conjures up a goal out of nothing and while a game is tight, I'd always keep him on. 

I think he could have been taken off instead of Anya on Saturday, but I think Rowett was being clever. Had he'd been taken off, there would have been massive cheers from the crowd, not good for moral. 

51 minutes ago, sage said:

At Pride Park, every player gets moaned at. He has some ability but he doesn't look up when running with ball and his 'Ronaldo' free kicks are laughable. 

yeah, wouldn't it be good if we got behind the players? Our fans are a joke at times, in what way does booing a player benefit any body?

Writing a player off because he's out of form is a pathetic and infuriating, you were probably one of the fans calling for Vydra's head when he was out of form too. 

23 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

yeah, wouldn't it be good if we got behind the players? Our fans are a joke at times, in what way does booing a player benefit any body?

Writing a player off because he's out of form is a pathetic and infuriating, you were probably one of the fans calling for Vydra's head when he was out of form too. 

1) Have I ever booed a derby player or the team....No

2) Have I written Lawrence off....No

Wind your neck in

I said he was largely poor v Brentford. he doesn't look up enough when running and his Ronaldo free kicks aren't working. I always give players my full backing at games, but aren't we allowed to offer criticism on here? It's a forum. We debate stuff. I'm not obsessive about Lawrence like some posters are about other players, so why not read what I have written and other a constructive counterpoint.

Archived