One for the oldies

FindernRam

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/01/2018 at 17:26, King Kevin said:

A few interesting omissions Dave Mackay , Charlie George and Bruce Rioch ,

Colin Boulton   :- not much between Carson and Boulton both not the tallest Carson shades it for shot stopping .

John Robson  :-    nobody Robbo was good defensively and going forward.

Terry Hennessey  :- Hennessey was injured a lot class act though better than any of current midfield 

Roger Davies  :-      Not much between him and Martin ,Davies more mobile 

Jeff Bourne  :-  Vydra for me  better finisher 

John McGovern:- Never was a zoonie fan he was the glue that held Derby together .Red dog favouritism means any of the current team over him. 

Peter Daniel :- Bucko always reminds me of Daniel  would take either Keogh or Davies over him .

Colin Todd :- Don't play with a sweeper but if we did Todd .

Steve Powell :- Son of Tommy hard as nails yes please 

Kevin Hector :- Stupid question ,we have had nothing close since he retired .Should have scrapped the number ten shirt when he hung up his boots.

John O'Hare :_ Similar style to Martin only braver and a bit more skill . O'Hare please.

Roy McFarland:- your having a laugh probably one of the best centre halves England's ever had .You could play him instead of Keogh AND Davies and we would be harder to beat.

Ron Webster Another great full back  great defensively ,stocky, tough ,hard tackler what's not to like 

Alan Hinton Yes please best crosser of a ball I've ever seen . Had a reputation as a light weight ,BC took the players out on to the pitch at the BBG and asked them if they fancied being tackled with that brick wall so close. 

Archie Gemmill:- Could not pass for toffee when he first got here ,then it all clicked ,fantastic combative midfielder could carry the ball as well .Gemmill please, worst deal in Derby's history swapping him for Dracula at forest 

Great thread by the way.

Couldn't have written it better myself,  particularly the bit about the King. 

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 18:35, whaley bridge Ram said:

Franny Lee with Charlie George great times watching these two 

and Frannys goal on his return to main road sheer class 

Barry Davies "Lee, interesting, oh very interesting, and look at his face, just look at his face"!!!!!

On 23/01/2018 at 23:37, PrivateDerby said:

We go on about 20 goals a season but look how many Franny banged in, doesn't seem to get mentioned much by Derby fans surely one of the best we had. 

What do you guys (who watched him) think? 

Private, I’ve mentioned it before but proud and happy to do it again. I was raised a Blue Mooner but was so heartbroken when Franny left I followed him. Nine years old I was when I told my family I was quitting my support for City to follow Derby County. Of course they laughed and said I’d be back within the month. Nope, I adopted My Rams and here I stay! The right decision obviously as Man City have barely done a thing since:ph34r:. A few mates do look out for our score if only to take the proverbial out of yours truly but over the years I’ve grown thick skin. :)

I was at that game in Kippax stand with my family when he scored the ‘ just look at his face’ goal, still gives me a tingle down the spine. If I ever write a book I will call it ‘ Franny Lee changed my life’. And in so many ways!!! The sod is all Man City now, have asked him on Twitter to give The Rams a mention but Man City are his first love. Dave Mackay paid 100k for him but he didn’t really want to leave Maine Rd. His final game was our 6-2 at Portman Rd if memory serves me right and he bagged two? Wish he’d played on for another year or two but that scrap with Norm was enough to tempt him to give it up for his bog rolls and horses. 

Still my very favourite player :D

On 1/22/2018 at 16:46, Gerry Daly said:

Almost all of them. Our current team would beat that team, modern players are so much fitter. But for their time almost all of them are better than our current players. But comparing them for their era Carson is better than Boulton I think. Carson is a full England international, Boulton was a bit short for a keeper as well. That's about it though

Didn't many of that squad win the Div 1 Championship (now renamed premier league) twice? What is the likely hood of the current squad equalling that achievement?? No chance at all. So irrespective age or how long you have supported DCFC. There is the irrefutable answer. 

On 24/01/2018 at 07:40, HantsRam said:

He was great for the one season we had him for.

Then he retired. 

Sorry to correct you but 2 seasons actually. 74/75 (championship season, look at his face!) & 75/76 (Norman hunter game & 2 goals in his last ever game at Ipswich)

Always had a soft spot for Colin Boulton as a friend of the family - superb keep very underrated.

Kevin Hector was a legend agree should have retired the shirt. Todd and MacFarland peerless.

Hinton was a genius on the ball..

We also got a few that had great careers elsewhere of course yet still became superb players for us - Charlie George Frannie Lee to name but 2..

On 01/02/2018 at 16:25, SKRam said:

Private, I’ve mentioned it before but proud and happy to do it again. I was raised a Blue Mooner but was so heartbroken when Franny left I followed him. Nine years old I was when I told my family I was quitting my support for City to follow Derby County. Of course they laughed and said I’d be back within the month. Nope, I adopted My Rams and here I stay! The right decision obviously as Man City have barely done a thing since:ph34r:. A few mates do look out for our score if only to take the proverbial out of yours truly but over the years I’ve grown thick skin. :)

I was at that game in Kippax stand with my family when he scored the ‘ just look at his face’ goal, still gives me a tingle down the spine. If I ever write a book I will call it ‘ Franny Lee changed my life’. And in so many ways!!! The sod is all Man City now, have asked him on Twitter to give The Rams a mention but Man City are his first love. Dave Mackay paid 100k for him but he didn’t really want to leave Maine Rd. His final game was our 6-2 at Portman Rd if memory serves me right and he bagged two? Wish he’d played on for another year or two but that scrap with Norm was enough to tempt him to give it up for his bog rolls and horses. 

Still my very favourite player :D

Just bought this photo of true 1970s Baseball Ground Folklore !

76F1134F-7D2C-47FF-A796-9BF5608B1048.jpeg

22 hours ago, Zurich Ram said:

is that Duncan Mckenzie ahem, saving himself for the proper fighting...?!

Trevor cherry...if you mean the bloke in the middle.

without checking who played i'd say from left to right it is....

lee, hector, thomas, graham, harvey, cherry, todd, gray, hunter, davies, gemmill, george, bremner, reaney

Archived