England Cricket 2018

Brian Mcculloch Glasgow

53 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

The ECB are introducing an 'exciting' new concept of 100-ball cricket.

"The ECB believes the concept will help to appeal to families and a more diverse and younger audience, and provide some distinction from the T20 Blast."

I thought it was an April Fool's joke when I read it. Can't see it doing much for Derbyshire cricket.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43824037

I struggle to see how a format that is just over three overs shorter than 20/20 (which is already a good short format of the game) is going to suddenly attract more diverse or younger audiences, if they really think the countdown of the balls is going to do that why not add it 20/20?

In reality I think the ECB know bt will buy it to compete with sky having the 20/20 series

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Joe. said:

I struggle to see how a format that is just over three overs shorter than 20/20 (which is already a good short format of the game) is going to suddenly attract more diverse or younger audiences, if they really think the countdown of the balls is going to do that why not add it 20/20?

In reality I think the ECB know bt will buy it to compete with sky having the 20/20 series

ECB's chief executive officer Tom Harrison said: "This is a fresh and exciting idea which will appeal to a younger audience and attract new fans to the game."

So, having 15 6-ball overs, and 1 10-ball over "will appeal to a younger audience and attract new fans to the game" My arse.

Southampton, Birmingham, Leeds, London, Manchester, Cardiff and Nottingham have been selected as venues for the five-week competition, which starts in 2020.

Ideal for fans in Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Worcestershire. My arse.

Call me old-fashioned, but this is a load of beaulocks.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Right! Enough is Enough! This England team incredibly is probably the worst in my lifetime! Worst than the 90s lot even!! Heads must roll after this! Starting with Trevor Bayliss!

Shocking!

I've seen some pretty rank sides in my time - for instance, any XI with Rampers in it.

16 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Right! Enough is Enough! This England team incredibly is probably the worst in my lifetime! Worst than the 90s lot even!! Heads must roll after this! Starting with Trevor Bayliss!

Shocking!

In the 90s the thinking was all wrong. We had Ian Salisbury because they wanted a leg spinner like Shane Warne (ha!). We had people like Craig White and Jason Galian because having Australians in your team will make you as good as the Australia team.

That said, we still had batting line ups that included Atherton, Stewart, Thorpe, Hussain, Smith and bowlers of the calibre of Gough and Fraser.

The problem now is that it just doesn't feel like the batting is going to get any better and the bowling is starting to look ragged. There is then the massive question - What happens when Cook and Anderson retire?

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

In the 90s the thinking was all wrong. We had Ian Salisbury because they wanted a leg spinner like Shane Warne (ha!). We had people like Craig White and Jason Galian because having Australians in your team will make you as good as the Australia team.

That said, we still had batting line ups that included Atherton, Stewart, Thorpe, Hussain, Smith and bowlers of the calibre of Gough and Fraser.

The problem now is that it just doesn't feel like the batting is going to get any better and the bowling is starting to look ragged. There is then the massive question - What happens when Cook and Anderson retire?

Exactly. A massive void. Actually think this lot are quite talented but just seem to lack mental toughness required. We’ve been outplayed so far in our own career conditions. Just don’t think Bayliss has any idea when it comes to test cricket. Needs new ideas.

Im worried about our bowling long term. Take Anderson and Broad out, it’s very ordinary and they even struggle abroad.

Work tomorrow will be enjoyable.........

I get so much stick for defeats against Afghanistan years ago but somehow England getting beat by Holland was not the same......

Anyway, Ill take a 6 run win and gloat. ?

The on-off nature of the weather is annoying, and we have now reached the stage where we are going to start losing overs. Roy is batting superbly, and it has been interesting listening to Hussain's and Knight's comments about the 'drills' he is using to make his top hand more dominant. Perhaps there is a 'proper' batsman lurking in there after all.

A statistic from today's ODI - during England's innings, the first five partnerships were all over 50.

This is the only time this has happened in the history of one-day cricket.

Utter carnage at Trent Bridge. Bairstow now out, but Buttler has just strode to the wicket. At this stage, they should break the ODI world record (that's knackered it)

Archived