England Cricket 2018

Brian Mcculloch Glasgow

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Derek Underwood maybe

I doubt that Underwood would have been as effective on covered pitches but on a sticky, he was peerless.

12 hours ago, eddie said:

I doubt that Underwood would have been as effective on covered pitches but on a sticky, he was peerless.

I started watching cricket at the same time as I started watching football in about 1972. So I guess I never saw the very best of Deadly. My overriding young memory of him is as a bit of a rebel joining the Kerry Packer thing and then going to play in South Africa. 

I was extremely fortunate to have a couple of sportsmen/ teachers at school. Harold Rhodes being one and he told us Underwood was the best bowler ever... 

3 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

I started watching cricket at the same time as I started watching football in about 1972. So I guess I never saw the very best of Deadly. My overriding young memory of him is as a bit of a rebel joining the Kerry Packer thing and then going to play in South Africa. 

I was extremely fortunate to have a couple of sportsmen/ teachers at school. Harold Rhodes being one and he told us Underwood was the best bowler ever... 

Eras, eh?

It's arguable that Derek Underwood wasn't even the best wet-pitch spin bowler who played for Kent. A. P. 'Tich' Freeman's record was absolutely super-human. He took 15 or more wickets in a match on seven occasions, nine or more in an innings twice and in 1928, he took 326 first-class wickets in the calendar year. His overall career record shows that he took 3776 wickets at an average of an incredibly miserly 18.42.

Batting still looks very difficult. No big swing, but the seam movement is late and quite sharp. A lead of 100 would be very welcome.

35 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

That was pathetic from the Indian batsmen. I understand we had the right conditions but they didn't look like a team that could be bothered to even try and adapt.

You could pretty well make that argument against any travelling team nowadays. Too much emphasis on 'Electric Rounders' and too little emphasis on 'proper' cricket - but proper cricket doesn't put bums on seats.

There is one change I would advocate immediately for test cricket - get rid of the toss. Visitors choose.

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

You could pretty well make that argument against any travelling team nowadays. Too much emphasis on 'Electric Rounders' and too little emphasis on 'proper' cricket - but proper cricket doesn't put bums on seats.

There is one change I would advocate immediately for test cricket - get rid of the toss. Visitors choose.

The thing is India played really well in South Africa on some absolute nightmare pitches, they just seem massively under cooked for this test. Not sure if it is a lack of preparation or what, they just aren't at it.

That'll be a no then

22 hours ago, Charlie Dram said:

Due to some unforseen my sister has a spare ticket for Trent Bridge on Saturday. 

Radcliffe Road Middle. Think it's £70. 

Someone pulled out and left her out of pocket.

Give me a shout if you're interested.

On 18/08/2018 at 11:48, StockholmRam said:

Has Root made the correct choice here putting India into bat? Can be a very misleading wicket at Trent Bridge I always think. I'd have batted first. If it ain't damp and wet around Notts it's generally a good batting pitch. 

Not sure it would have made a difference based on their performance yesterday. As soon as England lose a couple of wickets everyone goes to pot and forgets how to play properly. The consistency with which our batting lineup collapses is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Not sure it would have made a difference based on their performance yesterday. As soon as England lose a couple of wickets everyone goes to pot and forgets how to play properly. The consistency with which our batting lineup collapses is ridiculous.

Lack of application. They have the silly idea that the best way out of a crisis is always to attack. It sometimes comes off, but this time it has been a bit of a disaster.

Archived