Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Mcculloch Glasgow

England Cricket 2018

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

That weird press conference they did just made it sound like they didn't think it was such a big deal.

He shouldn't be allowed to resign. He should be fired.

I think they thought that if they came out and fessed up with a big apology it would blow over and they could nip the inevitable reaction in the bud.

Didn't really work!

Share this post


Link to post

Meanwhile, England have got off quite lightly with yet another thrashing away from home... if there was a week to get away with such a poor performance, this was certainly it. Thanks Aussies!

Changes are needed for England certainly, the batting is consistently failing to get anywhere near 400 in the first innings and the bowling is proving impotent and lacking in variety.

The trouble is that there is a lack of real options in the touring squad... for the next game I'd go with something like...

Cook, Stoneman, Root, Bairstow, Malan, Stokes (Woakes if Stokes can't bowl!!), Foakes WKT, Broad, Leach, Wood, Anderson

The time has come to give Leach a go, as Moeen is proving ineffective with both ball AND bat. Wood has to come in to add some pace, even if we do only get 12-15 overs a day out of him.

The tail looks weak I agree, but we must STOP choosing bowlers because they can bat, we need to start picking the bowlers that give us the best chance of taking 20 wickets in a game!

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Meanwhile, England have got off quite lightly with yet another thrashing away from home... if there was a week to get away with such a poor performance, this was certainly it. Thanks Aussies!

Changes are needed for England certainly, the batting is consistently failing to get anywhere near 400 in the first innings and the bowling is proving impotent and lacking in variety.

The trouble is that there is a lack of real options in the touring squad... for the next game I'd go with something like...

Cook, Stoneman, Root, Bairstow, Malan, Stokes (Woakes if Stokes can't bowl!!), Foakes WKT, Broad, Leach, Wood, Anderson

The time has come to give Leach a go, as Moeen is proving ineffective with both ball AND bat. Wood has to come in to add some pace, even if we do only get 12-15 overs a day out of him.

The tail looks weak I agree, but we must STOP choosing bowlers because they can bat, we need to start picking the bowlers that give us the best chance of taking 20 wickets in a game!

I entirely agree.

The worst effect of this is to say to the batsmen 'it's ok, we bat all the way down to 9, so don't worry too much about occupying the crease or knuckling down for a long innings.'

Also, have a look at the scores England's opposition have racked up on first innings over the last couple of years. Frightening.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I entirely agree.

The worst effect of this is to say to the batsmen 'it's ok, we bat all the way down to 9, so don't worry too much about occupying the crease or knuckling down for a long innings.'

Also, have a look at the scores England's opposition have racked up on first innings over the last couple of years. Frightening.

I know, it's awful, and that's what happens when you have an "attack" consisting of 4 x 80mph right armers and a part-time spinner in conditions that aren't as helpful as they are in England.

What I'd really like them to do this summer is give a proper spinner a go (Leach) and find the most promising young quickie in the country, preferably a left armer (Garton? Sam Curran?) and give them a proper run in the team. We should be using the experience of Broad & Anderson while we can to give a young quickie a run, who can then learn off the older heads.

Share this post


Link to post
PistoldPete2
49 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Meanwhile, England have got off quite lightly with yet another thrashing away from home... if there was a week to get away with such a poor performance, this was certainly it. Thanks Aussies!

Changes are needed for England certainly, the batting is consistently failing to get anywhere near 400 in the first innings and the bowling is proving impotent and lacking in variety.

The trouble is that there is a lack of real options in the touring squad... for the next game I'd go with something like...

Cook, Stoneman, Root, Bairstow, Malan, Stokes (Woakes if Stokes can't bowl!!), Foakes WKT, Broad, Leach, Wood, Anderson

The time has come to give Leach a go, as Moeen is proving ineffective with both ball AND bat. Wood has to come in to add some pace, even if we do only get 12-15 overs a day out of him.

The tail looks weak I agree, but we must STOP choosing bowlers because they can bat, we need to start picking the bowlers that give us the best chance of taking 20 wickets in a game!

I dont know whats gone wrong with Cook and ali, they look very short of confidence. At least Root still getting 50s even tho with the fragility of the rest of the batting, 50s from him isnt enough. 

Share this post


Link to post

Ill put my head on the block, 

I think the 12 month bans are a bit lengthy and comes accross as CA reacting to the media outrage. 

It seems like everyone and their dog has been waiting for a chance to have a go at Smith and especially Warner. We've now got the chance and its gone OTT. 

I cant help feeling Warner has been made the scapegoat and there are more people in that dressing room that are keeping quiet. 

Its maybe me, but I've yet to hear any comment from any member of the ICC.  Do you think they are keeping quiet because they know every team partakes in ball tampering one way or another. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Ill put my head on the block, 

I think the 12 month bans are a bit lengthy and comes accross as CA reacting to the media outrage. 

It seems like everyone and their dog has been waiting for a chance to have a go at Smith and especially Warner. We've now got the chance and its gone OTT. 

I cant help feeling Warner has been made the scapegoat and there are more people in that dressing room that are keeping quiet. 

Its maybe me, but I've yet to hear any comment from any member of the ICC.  Do you think they are keeping quiet because they know every team partakes in ball tampering one way or another. 

 

 

 

Not a cricket fan so you may not agree with my comments but 12 months is enough to be a punishment and short enough to make the 3 keep their mouths shut about it.  It can then be swept under the carpet

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Ill put my head on the block, 

I think the 12 month bans are a bit lengthy and comes accross as CA reacting to the media outrage. 

It seems like everyone and their dog has been waiting for a chance to have a go at Smith and especially Warner. We've now got the chance and its gone OTT. 

I cant help feeling Warner has been made the scapegoat and there are more people in that dressing room that are keeping quiet. 

Its maybe me, but I've yet to hear any comment from any member of the ICC.  Do you think they are keeping quiet because they know every team partakes in ball tampering one way or another. 

 

 

 

Bear in mind that the Australian cricket season is all but over. A six-month ban, for example, would have no effect whatsoever as the players would miss no cricket at all.

Share this post


Link to post
PistoldPete2
14 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Ill put my head on the block, 

I think the 12 month bans are a bit lengthy and comes accross as CA reacting to the media outrage. 

It seems like everyone and their dog has been waiting for a chance to have a go at Smith and especially Warner. We've now got the chance and its gone OTT. 

I cant help feeling Warner has been made the scapegoat and there are more people in that dressing room that are keeping quiet. 

Its maybe me, but I've yet to hear any comment from any member of the ICC.  Do you think they are keeping quiet because they know every team partakes in ball tampering one way or another. 

 

 

 

I dont agree Previous ball tampering incidents have just been a bit of dirt or whatever. Using sandpaper is just so blatant and wrong. What made this worse was then lying about it.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.