14/01/18 THE RUN IN TO MAY

plymouthram

With every team having 19 games to play, its interesting to see that Norwich City as low as 13th place are only 6 points off play-off position. Which means at present any 3 teams from 13 could secure promotion. I been looking at the top 13 teams remaining fixtures, Wolves, Derby and Cardiff have still 10 matches against the top 13 teams. Villa have only 8 and Bristol have 9. 

WOLVES,  10 matches includes 7 of them away, with only Sheff utd, Norwich and Derby at home to play. Trips to Ipswich, PNE, Fulham, Leeds, Villa, M'boro and Cardiff.                                                                        

DERBY: Home to Bristol, Brentford, Norwich, Leeds, Fulham, Cardiff and M'boro. With just 3 away: PNE, Wolves and Villa.                                   

CARDIFF: Home to M'boro, Bristol and Wolves and 7 away: Leeds, Ipswich, Brentford, Derby, Sheff utd, Villa and Norwich.                                      

VILLA: Home to Wolves, Cardiff, Leeds and Derby. Away: Sheff utd, Fulham, Norwich and Ipswich.                                                                        

BRISTOL: Home to Fulham, Ipswich, Brentford and Sheff utd. Away to Derby, Leeds, Cardiff, PNE and M'boro.                                                                  

I know a lot of fans look at Middlesboro being the dark horses to get promotion. Interestingly they only have 5 matches left against the top 13 teams and they are all away, Cardiff, Brentford, Sheff utd, Derby and Ipswich.

I predict with Wolves having 7 tough away fixtures, their 10 point gap will reduce, but I still think they will go up in top spot. 2nd place will be between Derby, Villa and Boro. The Play off place is always a lottery, but I can not see beyond Derby, Villa or Boro to get it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

No matter who plays who all we need to do is keep on matching or betterinng the results of the teams below us and we will be home and dry. 

My point is who each team have to play we can only better the results of teams below us when we are not playing them. 18 of our remaining fixtures are against teams below us. And NINE of them games are against teams in with a chance of promotion still.

1 hour ago, plymouthram said:

With every team having 19 games to play, its interesting to see that Norwich City as low as 13th place are only 6 points off play-off position. Which means at present any 3 teams from 13 could secure promotion. I been looking at the top 13 teams remaining fixtures, Wolves, Derby and Cardiff have still 10 matches against the top 13 teams. Villa have only 8 and Bristol have 9. 

WOLVES,  10 matches includes 7 of them away, with only Sheff utd, Norwich and Derby at home to play. Trips to Ipswich, PNE, Fulham, Leeds, Villa, M'boro and Cardiff.                                                                        

DERBY: Home to Bristol, Brentford, Norwich, Leeds, Fulham, Cardiff and M'boro. With just 3 away: PNE, Wolves and Villa.                                   

CARDIFF: Home to M'boro, Bristol and Wolves and 7 away: Leeds, Ipswich, Brentford, Derby, Sheff utd, Villa and Norwich.                                      

VILLA: Home to Wolves, Cardiff, Leeds and Derby. Away: Sheff utd, Fulham, Norwich and Ipswich.                                                                        

BRISTOL: Home to Fulham, Ipswich, Brentford and Sheff utd. Away to Derby, Leeds, Cardiff, PNE and M'boro.                                                                  

I know a lot of fans look at Middlesboro being the dark horses to get promotion. Interestingly they only have 5 matches left against the top 13 teams and they are all away, Cardiff, Brentford, Sheff utd, Derby and Ipswich.

I predict with Wolves having 7 tough away fixtures, their 10 point gap will reduce, but I still think they will go up in top spot. 2nd place will be between Derby, Villa and Boro. The Play off place is always a lottery, but I can not see beyond Derby, Villa or Boro to get it.

Interesting reading, but a quick glance reveals some errors. Everyone has played 4 teams twice, therefore, every team will has to play at least 8 teams in the top 13. Villa beat the dogs who aren't in the top 13, so must have at least 9 to play and boro must have at least 8 to play and not 5.

A+ for effort though. 

20 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Interesting reading, but a quick glance reveals some errors. Everyone has played 4 teams twice, therefore, every team will has to play at least 8 teams in the top 13. Villa beat the dogs who aren't in the top 13, so must have at least 9 to play and boro must have at least 8 to play and not 5.

A+ for effort though. 

Well spotted i missed Villa's home match against Preston. And Boro's home games against Leeds, Wolves and Bristol City. Having corrected myself, I still fancy M'boro to be in the mix.

It's interesting in a way, but too soon. It's all about Bristol City on Friday. 

6 games to go and we're still in the mix, then I'll start looking at run-ins and all that. The teams in relegation trouble then become an issue, too.

2 minutes ago, needles said:

It's interesting in a way, but too soon. It's all about Bristol City on Friday. 

6 games to go and we're still in the mix, then I'll start looking at run-ins and all that. The teams in relegation trouble then become an issue, too.

That's interesting Wolves last 7 games, they have 4 teams fighting relegation (Sunderland, Bolton, Hull and Birmingham). Middle table Sheff Weds plus Cardiff and Derby to play.

It’s nice to know it’s in our hands, but that could easily change within a couple of weeks.

Derby, since the turn of the millennium, have generally failed to hold on to favourable positions even when fixtures on paper at least looked kind.

Under Billy Davies we were top two for most of the season, but heading into the last six games we drew with Leicester and Coventry and lost to Palace (all 3 were bottom half sides).

Under Mac we failed to beat Huddersfield, Millwall and Reading (one win from any of these bottom half clubs would have been enough for the playoffs).

Our collapse under Clement came against  the likes of Reading, Birmingham, Fulham and Leeds - None were anywhere near the playoffs.

Point is, were just as likely to lose to Millwall, Burton or Bolton as we are Boro, Villa or Bristol City this time around.

24 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

I'm getting a bit sick of these threads now. Really don't want to put a downer on things but we have so many games left to play - let's lock this thread and come back to it for the final game.

Don't want to get my hopes up....

FTFY.

3 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

I'm getting a bit sick of these threads now. Really don't want to put a downer on things but we have so many games left to play - let's lock this thread and come back to it for the final 10 games.

Don't want to get my hopes up....

Final 10...?

I don’t think we will know with the final 3 it will be that close....

At last we have stability at the club.... a manager who is in demand, signed a new contract sticking two fingers at the likes of Stoke..... and a team that for me has players playing for the shirt.... ?✌??

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

It’s nice to know it’s in our hands, but that could easily change within a couple of weeks.

Derby, since the turn of the millennium, have generally failed to hold on to favourable positions even when fixtures on paper at least looked kind.

Under Billy Davies we were top two for most of the season, but heading into the last six games we drew with Leicester and Coventry and lost to Palace (all 3 were bottom half sides).

Under Mac we failed to beat Huddersfield, Millwall and Reading (one win from any of these bottom half clubs would have been enough for the playoffs).

Our collapse under Clement came against  the likes of Reading, Birmingham, Fulham and Leeds - None were anywhere near the playoffs.

Point is, were just as likely to lose to Millwall, Burton or Bolton as we are Boro, Villa or Bristol City this time around.

Our last 2 defeats this season were against teams who were comfortably lower half at the time we played them. And were home games.

Current league positions could look quite different by the time of the actual match so little to infer from looking too far out. 

Archived