Sign in to follow this  
David

Long Distance Relationships

Started watching the NFL and obviously tried to support the Rams but nothing really drew me to them other than their name. The colours, the way they played, their players, all a bit meh. 

So I continued to watch, and a few teams started to pull me, but none moreso than the Ravens. 

Their logos are bad ass, and Ravens are cool as ****. They play vicious defence and don’t back down. They have a strong home crowd and at the time had legends like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed playing. 

I was also watching The Wire at the time, which is the greatest show ever made, and set in Baltimore (or should I say Bodymore, Murderland)

Ancestors spent some time in Baltimore after being laid off by Queen Victoria for somehow killing all of her Shetland ponies before migrating to Australia.

Supported the Baltimore Colts until they were (literally) stolen overnight by Indianapolis. The traditional family who owned the Colts had swapped teams with the LA Rams’ owner. After a few years, the former Rams’ owner did the dirty on Baltimore and, like many Colts’ supporters, I swore off them. I sort of supported Dallas for a few years and then was disgusted again when Art Model moved the Browns to Baltimore.

Fortunately, the NFL stood up for Cleveland and forced him to leave the Browns’ nomenclature in Cleveland (I wish they’d done the same for the Colts; Johnny Unitas was NEVER an Indianapolis Colt!) for an expansion franchise.

When Cleveland got its Browns back a few seasons later, I could support a side wholeheartedly again. The Ravens are almost as much of an institution in Baltimore as the Colts were; even the moniker, The Ravens, is intrinsically Baltimorean being derived from the Edgar Allen Poe story (although I wish they’d given greater consideration to my nomination, the Jacks, derived from the lyrics of Springsteen’s Hungry Heart).

On 13/01/2018 at 12:39, Srg said:

Started watching the NFL and obviously tried to support the Rams but nothing really drew me to them other than their name. The colours, the way they played, their players, all a bit meh. 

So I continued to watch, and a few teams started to pull me, but none moreso than the Ravens. 

Their logos are bad ass, and Ravens are cool as ****. They play vicious defence and don’t back down. They have a strong home crowd and at the time had legends like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed playing. 

I was also watching The Wire at the time, which is the greatest show ever made, and set in Baltimore (or should I say Bodymore, Murderland)

The blue and gold of the rams is orgasmic in my eyes! it's a beautiful jersey. 

All sports Seattle. Lived there for a few years when they played at the Kingdome, got to see the Mariners when they had Alex Rodriguez, Ken Griffey Junior, Edgar Martinez, amongst others. Also watched pre-MLS Sounders. Never got to see the Seahawks or Sonics.

I met a bunch of lads on a video game when I was a teenager, all from New Orleans, who I ended up almost exclusively playing games with for years.  They're New Orleans Saints fans, so they got me to start watching - in trade for me getting (a couple of) them to watch Derby. Lots of days/mornings off in order to watch the games in the early hours. They're now basically my best mates, which is a little odd - what with them being across an ocean. I'd like to move there.

It was off-season when I visited them for a few weeks, but we went to the Superdome and met some folk. Basically cemented my fandom.

One of my friends is also a huge fan LSU fan, which is Louisiana's main College football team. So I've watched a lot of them as well. College football is an interesting thing.

I've not got into any other US sports. I like watching "best bit" videos of MLB, NBA, NHL but I haven't watched a full game of any of them yet. I've got one friend who's an MLB fan but he's never encouraged me to watch it.

Got into NFL in the late 80's, when Channel 4 started to show highlights every Sunday tea time.  Been a 49ers fan ever since.  I have a soft spot for the Raiders as well.

Began playing basketball a lot at school, around the time Jordan and the Bulls were ruling the league.  But I was more drawn to the Seattle Supersonics due to the The Reign Man Shawn Kemp & Gary 'The Glove' Payton.  

NHL & MLB bore me to tears though...

It's difficult to keep up with the NBA unless you want to pay for a season pass and/or BT for games.  But the BBC's coverage of the NFL is excellent.  Think I might even stop up for the super bowl this year

Don’t sit on the sidelines, let your voice be heard!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.