Long Distance Relationships

David

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surrport rams in NFL mostly because of the ram connection but also because apart from this year they've been one of the worst teams and I like to be different.

support the Florida panthers in NHL and that's because when I was younger and on holiday in Florida I went to a game.

I played for Junior Rams when we went to play " soccer" in USA ( New Jersey) as kids in 1978...

We stayed with famlies of the local teams and the bunch I stayed with were not only huge New York Giants fans but the dad of the household worked at Giants Stadium. I fell for them and their Quarterback of the day Phil Simms. Been a giants fan ever since.

Plus we got to go and see New York Cosmos play v Charlie George ( Minnesota Kicks) and he was made up we were chanting his name and waving Rams scarfs in the stadium.

12 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Surrport rams in NFL mostly because of the ram connection but also because apart from this year they've been one of the worst teams and I like to be different.

support the Florida panthers in NHL and that's because when I was younger and on holiday in Florida I went to a game.

Yeah, I briefly followed American football in my youth and always looked out for the Rams by virtue of their name. 

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Is it because the rules weren’t written up in God’s own country?

They are mainly stolen and bastardised games. The only sport invented in the US is Basketball.

Lacrosse if you want to just include real Americans not the immigrants. 

Started watching the NFL and obviously tried to support the Rams but nothing really drew me to them other than their name. The colours, the way they played, their players, all a bit meh. 

So I continued to watch, and a few teams started to pull me, but none moreso than the Ravens. 

Their logos are bad ass, and Ravens are cool as ****. They play vicious defence and don’t back down. They have a strong home crowd and at the time had legends like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed playing. 

I was also watching The Wire at the time, which is the greatest show ever made, and set in Baltimore (or should I say Bodymore, Murderland)

Ancestors spent some time in Baltimore after being laid off by Queen Victoria for somehow killing all of her Shetland ponies before migrating to Australia.

Supported the Baltimore Colts until they were (literally) stolen overnight by Indianapolis. The traditional family who owned the Colts had swapped teams with the LA Rams’ owner. After a few years, the former Rams’ owner did the dirty on Baltimore and, like many Colts’ supporters, I swore off them. I sort of supported Dallas for a few years and then was disgusted again when Art Model moved the Browns to Baltimore.

Fortunately, the NFL stood up for Cleveland and forced him to leave the Browns’ nomenclature in Cleveland (I wish they’d done the same for the Colts; Johnny Unitas was NEVER an Indianapolis Colt!) for an expansion franchise.

When Cleveland got its Browns back a few seasons later, I could support a side wholeheartedly again. The Ravens are almost as much of an institution in Baltimore as the Colts were; even the moniker, The Ravens, is intrinsically Baltimorean being derived from the Edgar Allen Poe story (although I wish they’d given greater consideration to my nomination, the Jacks, derived from the lyrics of Springsteen’s Hungry Heart).

On 13/01/2018 at 12:39, Srg said:

Started watching the NFL and obviously tried to support the Rams but nothing really drew me to them other than their name. The colours, the way they played, their players, all a bit meh. 

So I continued to watch, and a few teams started to pull me, but none moreso than the Ravens. 

Their logos are bad ass, and Ravens are cool as ****. They play vicious defence and don’t back down. They have a strong home crowd and at the time had legends like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed playing. 

I was also watching The Wire at the time, which is the greatest show ever made, and set in Baltimore (or should I say Bodymore, Murderland)

The blue and gold of the rams is orgasmic in my eyes! it's a beautiful jersey. 

I met a bunch of lads on a video game when I was a teenager, all from New Orleans, who I ended up almost exclusively playing games with for years.  They're New Orleans Saints fans, so they got me to start watching - in trade for me getting (a couple of) them to watch Derby. Lots of days/mornings off in order to watch the games in the early hours. They're now basically my best mates, which is a little odd - what with them being across an ocean. I'd like to move there.

It was off-season when I visited them for a few weeks, but we went to the Superdome and met some folk. Basically cemented my fandom.

One of my friends is also a huge fan LSU fan, which is Louisiana's main College football team. So I've watched a lot of them as well. College football is an interesting thing.

I've not got into any other US sports. I like watching "best bit" videos of MLB, NBA, NHL but I haven't watched a full game of any of them yet. I've got one friend who's an MLB fan but he's never encouraged me to watch it.

Got into NFL in the late 80's, when Channel 4 started to show highlights every Sunday tea time.  Been a 49ers fan ever since.  I have a soft spot for the Raiders as well.

Began playing basketball a lot at school, around the time Jordan and the Bulls were ruling the league.  But I was more drawn to the Seattle Supersonics due to the The Reign Man Shawn Kemp & Gary 'The Glove' Payton.  

NHL & MLB bore me to tears though...

It's difficult to keep up with the NBA unless you want to pay for a season pass and/or BT for games.  But the BBC's coverage of the NFL is excellent.  Think I might even stop up for the super bowl this year

Archived