Scott Carson

Ibby

The first time I saw Shilton play was in a friendly for Leicester at the BBG in 1966-67 - we were disappointed because the World Cup was still fresh in the memory and I, for one, wanted to see Gordon Banks. Saying that, Shilton, who had only made his debut for Leicester at the end of the previous season, was impressive that night. I think we lost 2-1 with Derek Dougan getting at least 1 of Leicester's goals, but it was half a century ago, so I could easily be wrong.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

By 'Shilton in his heyday', i presume you mean his pre Derby career? Absolutely. BC chased him for years as he knew he'd be the cornerstone of any successful team.

A brilliant player for us but he was on the wane compared to his 70s / early 80s best.

It's harsh but for all his amazing point blank saves (away at Newcastle etc for example), he also flapped at crosses, couldn't deal with long range shots (John bloody Harkes, Tim Breaker etc) and as for his statuesque performance for the penos in Italia 90... :-(

Shilts would let one in, sit on his arse in the BBG mud, roll his eyes and slap his hands on the ground. It was supposed to demonstrate that his defenders had let him down but i think it was his realisation that at 40 odd years old, he was unfortunately becoming less able to perform well.

He was no Mark Wallington :whistle:

Agree with this (except perhaps the Mark Wallington line!). Have watched evvery keeper from Boulton onwards.  By the time we finally got Shilton (why oh why didn't we sign him a decade before?) he was OK but not  truly special. In terms of their performances in a Rams shirt, Poom was the better keeper. Shilton at the 1982 World Cup was almost unbeatable (sadly we conceded one goal but exited the competition unbeaten due to very poor qualifying rules). We had him at the time of the 1990 World Cup where I'd have stood more chance of saving the German penalties than he did. #WorldsSlowestDives

If Carson can maintain this form for a second season in a row, then he'll be close to rivalling Mart as the best I've seen. I love how he's doing new things and still improving. People complain about Carson's distribution, but Shilton struggled to kick to the halfway line!

One of the most important things for the final 20 games is to keep a fit and on-form Scot Carson. We're in trouble if we lose him. Mitchell had a disastrous game for the U23s today and Roos needs to be on the bench at the weekend.

15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Agree with this (except perhaps the Mark Wallington line!). Have watched evvery keeper from Boulton onwards.  By the time we finally got Shilton (why oh why didn't we sign him a decade before?) he was OK but not  truly special. In terms of their performances in a Rams shirt, Poom was the better keeper. Shilton at the 1982 World Cup was almost unbeatable (sadly we conceded one goal but exited the competition unbeaten due to very poor qualifying rules). We had him at the time of the 1990 World Cup where I'd have stood more chance of saving the German penalties than he did. #WorldsSlowestDives

If Carson can maintain this form for a second season in a row, then he'll be close to rivalling Mart as the best I've seen. I love how he's doing new things and still improving. People complain about Carson's distribution, but Shilton struggled to kick to the halfway line!

One of the most important things for the final 20 games is to keep a fit and on-form Scot Carson. We're in trouble if we lose him. Mitchell had a disastrous game for the U23s today and Roos needs to be on the bench at the weekend.

Owd Wally was ok but it was a welcome upgrade to get Steele in the team!

Poom was great though. A real gem of a signing.

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

So much better than Lee Grant.

I never understand why Derby fans need to bag one player to praise another.

They’re different types of ‘keepers, there’s no doubt in my mind that Grant would be the better ‘keeper in a team that wants to play out from the back but we aren’t and so we sold him and Carson will likely go on to win consecutive Player of the Season awards.

30 minutes ago, cannable said:

I never understand why Derby fans need to bag one player to praise another.

They’re different types of ‘keepers, there’s no doubt in my mind that Grant would be the better ‘keeper in a team that wants to play out from the back but we aren’t and so we sold him and Carson will likely go on to win consecutive Player of the Season awards.

Bournemouth, Wolves and Leeds away were Lee Grant being a shadow of his former self, I'm afraid. 'Calamity James' had nothing on those three 'moments'.

Scott was top class on Friday night , like he has been all season, it looked like nothing was going to beat him, then they score a goal, which NO goalkeeper in the world would have got, he has been so consistent this season, to me he should be in England's World Cup squad for Russia, hoping no prem club comes in for him this window, because I believe he will be worth a extra 10 points for us, in the second half of the season. Best Derby goalkeeper since Poom.

1 hour ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Owd Wally was ok but it was a welcome upgrade to get Steele in the team!

Poom was great though. A real gem of a signing.

Wallington came after Steele.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

I never understand why Derby fans need to bag one player to praise another..

Comparing him to the previous keeper.

obvious really.

47 minutes ago, eddie said:

Bournemouth, Wolves and Leeds away were Lee Grant being a shadow of his former self, I'm afraid. 'Calamity James' had nothing on those three 'moments'.

...and Rotherham away.

On 05/01/2018 at 19:45, EssendonRam said:

I kept thinking "Stop it, will you. Other clubs might get ideas about poaching him." No-one could knick him, could they?

How did you quote this post on Friday 5th before Carl posted the original post on Saturday the 6th?

Come to think of it, how did you post it 15 minutes before kick off?

I smell a rat

28 minutes ago, Tombo said:

How did you quote this post on Friday 5th before Carl posted the original post on Saturday the 6th?

Come to think of it, how did you post it 15 minutes before kick off?

I smell a rat

Wierd that. To be first post in a thread that someone else created :lol:

but presumably the time and date of the post is somehow wrong.

12 hours ago, Mistaram said:

I remember the Wigan fans laughing at us when we bought him Said he was awful on crosses If he does have a fault maybe his kicking could be better But his job is to keep it out of the net and he does that really well 

He is awful at crosses!

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Carson on current form is better than Joe Hart and Fraser Forster (it still baffles me how he is a number one keeper for a Premier League team).

He might not be their number 1 any more. He's been dropped to the bench for the past 3 games so it looks like McCarthy is now their 1st choice

42 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

He might not be their number 1 any more. He's been dropped to the bench for the past 3 games so it looks like McCarthy is now their 1st choice

It will say a lot if both Forster and Hart go to the World Cup if they as benched until the end of the season, I hope with Southgate we have moved on from selecting players on past form.

Archived