Scott Carson

Ibby

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

We wouldn't be able to loan a keeper unless all the professional keepers on our books were injured. As well as Roos and Mitchell I think professional keepers on the books are Josh Barnes, Henrich Ravas and Matt Yates.

If there was any choice I would play Roos without any shadow of a doubt. However, I posted elsewhere that I don't believe he is allowed to play for us now this season because of the three-club rule and he's already played for two other teams. That also suggests we can't transfer him out as there'd be no point anyone buying him.

It may be that somewhere in the small print I was unable to find there's a clause saying that goalkeeping emergency loans don't count towards the three-club rule (there are a lot of rules that are different for goalkeepers) but I haven't found it. If Roos really can't play I'd look at Josh Barnes as well as Mitchell, but given Mitchell does at least have some experience that probably means he'd have to be the pick.

Interesting. With no loan deal possible I think it could be as dramatic as our potential promotion being at serious risk.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, ossieram said:

Clemence and Shilton shared the shirt for a few years and both were arguably amongst the best in the world at the time. 

With Joe Corrigan an admirable 3rd choice who would have won plenty more than his handful of caps in any other era.

14 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Ron Greenwood's England (when it should have been Cloughie's) in the 1982 Word Cup. Shilton looked unbeatable but did concede one goal in the tournament in a 3-1 win over France. We comfortably won our group. Nowadays that would take you through into the knockout phases, but back then it took you into a second qualifying group stage of three teams, only one of which would qualify for the semifinals. Who else did we have in this qualifying group? West Germany and Spain!

We drew both games 0-0 with Shilton imperious and Clemence his unused reserve. But sadly the Germans beat Spain so qualified for the semifinals. By finishing behind us in the first group stages, France went into a second quallifying group with Austria and Northern Ireland which they won comfortably to go on to the semifinals.

Read all about it: http://www.englandfootballonline.com/cmpwc/CmpWC1982Finals.html

Remember that tournament well. Doing A levels at the time. I would argue that Clemence was past his very best by then (hadn't he moved to Spurs from Liverpool?) - they were collectively at their peak for me in the mid-late 70's.

I also remember clips being shown from Argentine TV where the commentator refused to refer to England by name (owing to the recently concluded Falklands War) and just referred to "the team playing in red".

The format of the tournament was then changed in 1986 to be straight knockout after the group stages - which has survived to this day. We needed to beat Spain 2-0 to go through (they nicked a late goal against W Germany to lose 1-2) but couldn't score. Keegan and Brooking - both coming towards the end of their England careers were late subs and Keegan had a great chance but headed wide.

Corrigan didn't get on the pitch at all but think Clemence got a game against Kuwait in the group stage as we had already qualified so changed the entire team. The back up strikers were Trevor Francis and Tony Woodcock who had scored hatfuls for England....

Is this the same Scott Carson, who some fans said wasn't as good as Lee Grant a year or so ago? The reason? Grant was on loan at Prem club and playing well, so he must be better than Carson.

Carson has been my vote for player of the year for the last two seasons.

1 hour ago, Wayne1306 said:

Is this the same Scott Carson, who some fans said wasn't as good as Lee Grant a year or so ago? The reason? Grant was on loan at Prem club and playing well, so he must be better than Carson.

Carson has been my vote for player of the year for the last two seasons.

*sigh*

They’re different ‘keepers. 

Grant suited Mac 1 because of his ability on the ball.

11 minutes ago, cannable said:

*sigh*

Grant suited Mac 1 because of his ability to tread on the ball.

Ftfy 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

*sigh*

I wasn't saying that Grant was no good, I thought he was a decent keeper.

It was more a point of how some fans thought that because Grant was in the Prem he must be better than Carson and we should have recalled him. Probably the same fans who are now saying Carson should be in the England squad.

2 hours ago, Wayne1306 said:

I wasn't saying that Grant was no good, I thought he was a decent keeper.

It was more a point of how some fans thought that because Grant was in the Prem he must be better than Carson and we should have recalled him. Probably the same fans who are now saying Carson should be in the England squad.

I think fans were saying that because Grant was absolutely fantastic in his first few games for Stoke which included that MotM performance against Utd.

3 hours ago, cannable said:

I might be misremebering, but Grant had it easy - just roll it out to Keogh, Buxton, Thorne, Mascarell, Hendrick, anyone really, and watch us play it out from the back.  He wasn't required to throw it 15 yards into the path of a breaking full back He was comfortable on the ball, but he never really had to take any risks. Can you think of any instances when his quick thinking in distribution lead to a goal?

Archived