Plan A (and B and C)

TuffLuff

Not sure the relevance of this at the moment, but whilst other threads turn into bickering I thought I’d add this up for discussion.

In the summer, the talk was the need to create a ‘plan b’, in sense a different way to attack teams. Rowett has done that, but made it into ‘a’. Which is good, teams for the most part have struggled with us doing that and we are on very good standing. The problem potentially is if teams begin to counter this in the second half of the season. I think there’s already that beginning to show itself and we could be looking at a similar problem. It’s interesting that I’ve seen people saying we need a younger Nugent (side note: isn’t that Winnall?), but I’d argue that’s maybe going to cause a problem we have had before once we struggle to break things down

In effect we have made a new plan a, and still potentially not addressed the problem we have previously had.

Its all hypothetical and I think our momentum from now will be important, but in just pondering on that there may be something long term we haven’t addressed.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Something something, Chris Martin, something.

:thumbsup:

Lol,you are a wag

Tuff has highlighted a problem that's going to occur now our new plan a is being sussed..

I sort of assumed(hoped),earlier in the season, that gr was going to use winnall and the wardrobe as a plan b/away team but it didn't happen.

I wonder if we get some nippy midfielders in this month whether he will take up that option and fashion a 433 or 442 plan b side.

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

It’s interesting that I’ve seen people saying we need a younger Nugent (side note: isn’t that Winnall?),

Surely not? Winall is more similar to something something Chris Martin than Nugent. A young pacey striker is something we've not had since Izale McLeod. A young pacey striker that can actually score is something we've not had since erm..help me?

Don't talks of Plan A's, plan B's and plan C's get boring.

What we just need to be is better with our specific game plan than the opposition is at their own game plan for the said game in question. If that happens we win. Simples.

Why has football changed so much over the years to talk about this theoretical football plan side of things? Its boring.

Go out there, put the effort in, put the commitment in, be smarter and better and then we will be fine. If we have better players, that will happen. If we don't have better players, that won't happen.

2 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Surely not? Winall is more similar to something something Chris Martin than Nugent. A young pacey striker is something we've not had since Izale McLeod. A young pacey striker that can actually score is something we've not had since erm..help me?

Something something Chris Martin! ?

4 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Something something, Chris Martin, something.

:thumbsup:

Ha, I was very careful with my wording ;)

I was really hoping to pull away from just being a Martin thread, it’s something I’ve noticed and I’m not saying he’s the answer but I wouldn’t say just buying more players similar to what we have is necessarily the answer either 

7 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Don't talks of Plan A's, plan B's and plan C's get boring.

What we just need to be is better with our specific game plan than the opposition is at their own game plan for the said game in question. If that happens we win. Simples.

Why has football changed so much over the years to talk about this theoretical football plan side of things? Its boring.

Go out there, put the effort in, put the commitment in, be smarter and better and then we will be fine. If we have better players, that will happen. If we don't have better players, that won't happen.

Kids in the park,jumpers for goalposts....

download.jpeg

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

@David could just post that statement on the forum front page and then lock all the forums. It would save us all a lot of time :lol:

I'm of the opinion that if your Plan A is good enough that's all you need, I reckon Rowett thinks the same. To say your Plan A has been found out suggests that it was somehow revolutionary and different, but eventually teams learn to deal with it. Don't think any of our Plan A's have been such, just a case of losing key team members. If Rowett does strengthen this window I'd guess it will be more of what we have ie replacement for Vydra who actually is a no10.

We haven't needed a Plan B yet, so I don't understand how people have come to the conclusion GR doesn't have one.

He might not have one. I'm just saying.

Different plans don't necessarily mean different formations. Playing Johnson outwide away or against Villa at home made us play a very different style to when we play Lawrence there against poorer sides. Previously, we've just been 4-3-3 with Martin, and if Martin got injured or people countered it we were rubbish. Now we have the personnel for 2 or 3 plans. 

I'd also argue having Wisdom, Baird, Keogh, Davies, Forsyth and Olson all on at the same time at the end away at Ipswich proves we have a fair few plans if worse comes to worse. 

44 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

We haven't needed a Plan B yet, so I don't understand how people have come to the conclusion GR doesn't have one.

It’s not a conclusion, in all honesty it wouldn’t surprise me if he did. Its more of a ponder upon what I’ve seen people saying this last week being different to the summer and just seeing where people’s thoughts are with that.

22 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Different plans don't necessarily mean different formations. Playing Johnson outwide away or against Villa at home made us play a very different style to when we play Lawrence there against poorer sides. Previously, we've just been 4-3-3 with Martin, and if Martin got injured or people countered it we were rubbish. Now we have the personnel for 2 or 3 plans. 

I'd also argue having Wisdom, Baird, Keogh, Davies, Forsyth and Olson all on at the same time at the end away at Ipswich proves we have a fair few plans if worse comes to worse. 

Wasn’t Johnson put there when Lawrence was injured? Point is that it’s not been a tactical ploy but a necessity that worked? 

I do agree about us having enough personnel and partially why I wouldn’t sell certain players over bringing in players who are similar to what we have

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

You sound like the Nottm Forest interviewer on Warburtons last interview!

Plan A is only to do the same thing against every opposition because its "about what we do!". Stubborn fools like McClaren and Arsen Wenger fall into this category

Having a plan B C , and so on, is adapting your tactics each game depending on the opposition he faces, and horses for courses with regards to team selection against said opposition. Something GR has done since day 1.

21 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Wasn’t Johnson put there when Lawrence was injured? Point is that it’s not been a tactical ploy but a necessity that worked? 

I do agree about us having enough personnel and partially why I wouldn’t sell certain players over bringing in players who are similar to what we have

Think its has been forced at times but chosen in others, there's certainly been times when we've had one of Weimann/Russell/Lawrence available on the bench but Rowett has chosen Johnson. 

Archived