Plan A (and B and C)

TuffLuff

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

You sound like the Nottm Forest interviewer on Warburtons last interview!

Plan A is only to do the same thing against every opposition because its "about what we do!". Stubborn fools like McClaren and Arsen Wenger fall into this category

Having a plan B C , and so on, is adapting your tactics each game depending on the opposition he faces, and horses for courses with regards to team selection against said opposition. Something GR has done since day 1.

Has he?!

5 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Really? He's prolific but he's not really pacey is he? Weimann is probably the quickest forward player we have but he's not #9 and he's not much of a goal scorer

Think he is pretty slick

6 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Really? He's prolific but he's not really pacey is he? Weimann is probably the quickest forward player we have but he's not #9 and he's not much of a goal scorer

I think Vydra's our quickest player over 10 yards. The amount of times he'll turn on the ball and just sprint away  from the opposition is incredible.

48 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Wasn’t Johnson put there when Lawrence was injured? Point is that it’s not been a tactical ploy but a necessity that worked? 

I do agree about us having enough personnel and partially why I wouldn’t sell certain players over bringing in players who are similar to what we have

Mmmmmm ,,, certain players ?????

25 minutes ago, archied said:

Mmmmmm ,,, certain players ?????

I think there’s enough threads with specifics where we’ve repeated ourselves over and over. Just trying to change the discussion in the hope of something more productive 

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

Plan A is only to do the same thing against every opposition because its "about what we do!". Stubborn fools like McClaren and Arsen Wenger fall into this category

Having a plan B C , and so on, is adapting your tactics each game depending on the opposition he faces, and horses for courses with regards to team selection against said opposition. Something GR has done since day 1.

Don't think he's yet cracked what it should be to counter a 3-5-2 and keeps repeating failed strategies against it.

7 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Don't think he's yet cracked what it should be to counter a 3-5-2 and keeps repeating failed strategies against it.

I think the key to countering that formation is to adopt exactly the same formation. More times than not, if both teams a 3 at the back, the team with superior players will win, regardless of work on the training ground. I've been noticing this quite a lot in the past year. Such a strange but successful formation which is why so many have adopted it because if you have good wing backs then you're set as it allows you to get 2 forwards on the pitch but also have 3 centre midfielders on the pitch. It also gives you defensive stability.

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I think the key to countering that formation is to adopt exactly the same formation. More times than not, if both teams a 3 at the back, the team with superior players will win, regardless of work on the training ground. I've been noticing this quite a lot in the past year. Such a strange but successful formation which is why so many have adopted it because if you have good wing backs then you're set as it allows you to get 2 forwards on the pitch but also have 3 centre midfielders on the pitch. It also gives you defensive stability.

Need mobile players in the 3. Its been debated on here many times why we don't try it as we have 3 mobile players in Davies, Keogh and Wisdom who could play in the 3 - with potentially Forsyth and Baird as backup. Anya/Forsyth/Olsson are potentially wingbacks and you get 2 full on strikers which was Pearsons mantra - the most successful teams in the championship tend to have 2 up.

Anyhow, all hypothetical I guess but surely worth some thinking through by GR - in the spirit of the "horses for courses" thing.

3 hours ago, jagerbob said:

The two managers you mention haven't done bad using "The same thing against every opposition". 

Tell me which successful teams drastically change system and style? 

Include Derby because I'd describe us as a counter attacking direct side that plays 4231. But you say that changes quite a lot? 

If you've played football for a manager that constantly asks you to do things differently each week. Change how you press, change your distances, change your position, change what he wants you to do with the ball... If you've played for a manager that's done that and you've won stuff then I'll be surprised.

Every coach, manager I've ever watched or played for or spoken to likes his team to play within certain parameters. They have principles. They have priorities. 

Plan B is ********. It's auto-moan for fans of a losing team. Just like "no passion".

17 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The two managers you mention haven't done bad using "The same thing against every opposition". 

Tell me which successful teams drastically change system and style? 

Include Derby because I'd describe us as a counter attacking direct side that plays 4231. But you say that changes quite a lot? 

If you've played football for a manager that constantly asks you to do things differently each week. Change how you press, change your distances, change your position, change what he wants you to do with the ball... If you've played for a manager that's done that and you've won stuff then I'll be surprised.

Every coach, manager I've ever watched or played for or spoken to likes his team to play within certain parameters. They have principles. They have priorities. 

Plan B is ********. It's auto-moan for fans of a losing team. Just like "no passion".

Plan B is do Plan A better. Always has been and always will be. 

It’s just tweeks , switch wingers sides to come inside or outside , extra midfielder for the ten perhaps , big striker to be able to go 442 and get wide and get crosses in but always tweeks as opposed to the completely different side some people expect

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mel-morris-gary-rowett-derby-1031561

Interesting add on from last weeks discussion.

Think it makes a good point re our shape but maybe misses the main one by focussing too much on personnel. Anyway think it’s a decent bit of journalism and brought a good answer, which there’s been a lack of this season (although has there been any challenging questions that needed answering?)

Archived