Championship promotion “rivals” watch

Bris Vegas

59 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Im afraid the next time you’ll be in the promotion mix will be when you’re playing Yeovil in another league 1 semi final. 

And then you won’t be considered rivals, you might have to start going on the Burton forum for that. 

don't forget August each year though

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Im afraid the next time you’ll be in the promotion mix will be when you’re playing Yeovil in another league 1 semi final. 

And then you won’t be considered rivals, you might have to start going on the Buxton forum for that. 

Ftfy

I have this nagging feeling that Villla will be the team that will scupper our chances this season. Steve Bruce has that knack of getting teams out of the championship. Neil Warnock does as well, but Cardiff don't worry me as much. The teams that worry me to go on a run are Villa, Boro and Fulham, everyone else in the mix haven't got the experience to be consistent, but we shall see. 

5 hours ago, lukedcfc said:

I have this nagging feeling that Villla will be the team that will scupper our chances this season. Steve Bruce has that knack of getting teams out of the championship. Neil Warnock does as well, but Cardiff don't worry me as much. The teams that worry me to go on a run are Villa, Boro and Fulham, everyone else in the mix haven't got the experience to be consistent, but we shall see. 

If we loose enough teams to let them catch us between now and the end of the season, then it would be our own fault entirely, and we’d have far bigger things to worry about than just those three catching us. If those three could potentially catch us then our drop in form would have to put play offs at risk. We’d have to drop 11 and 12 points for them to become a worry.

I just don’t see that happening. 

Fulham, Boro and Brentford might all put together decent runs from now to the end of the season, but that should worry Sheffield United, not us. 

11 hours ago, Papahet said:

Hope Barnsley get something at Villa - the only side imo who are a serious threat.

I wish that were true! There are 4 teams seriously looking at that second spot - hopefully we'll still be second as they fall away one by one. But at the moment they're all a threat. 

Nobody's overtaking us this month though!

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Villa 2-0 Barnsley

Norwich 0-1 Sheff Utd

I hope they come back and prove me wrong, but I felt Norwich were always going to struggle for this one after their midweek exploits.

A lot of people on here are going to get their knickers in a twist in the next few weeks over the form of Villa. There will be so many twists and turns between now and the end of the season that it's best to stay aloof from it all and, as Rowett says, just concentrate on what we're doing.

As I type another twist as Barnsley pull a goal back. We've 18 games left which means it's in our hands, just as it's also still in Villa's hands. And Cardiff's and Bristol City's.

As I continue to type, despite the new low for football and humanity I mentioned in another thread, it's good to see Dirty Leeds 0, Dirty Millwall 1.

Villa dropping points at home to Barnsley would have been a big bonus. I think most expected them to win anyway.

Derby have still got the likes of Barnsley, Bolton and Sunderland to play at home so I think our rivals will write them off as home wins too.

I fully expect Fulham to beat Burton. What will be a bit disappointing is if Sheff Utd and Boro win, considering both have trickyish away games where you’d be delighted to just take a flukey 1-0 win.

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Villa dropping points at home to Barnsley would have been a big bonus. I think most expected them to win anyway.

Derby have still got the likes of Barnsley, Bolton and Sunderland to play at home so I think our rivals will write them off as home wins too.

I fully expect Fulham to beat Burton. What will be a bit disappointing is if Sheff Utd and Boro win, considering both have trickyish away games where you’d be delighted to just take a flukey 1-0 win.

As you say this Boro go 2-0 up. I think with Pulis they'll comfortably be in the play-offs come the end of the season. Not sure Bristol City will be able to withstand the likes of Boro and Fulham to stay in the top six.

I don't think they'll be strong enough to push for second either. I really wouldn't like to be in the play-offs facing Boro, so it would make it even more important to finish 2nd. Cardiff look decent but I don't think they'll go the distance. A head-to-head battle between us and Villa is what I see being most likely, so I'm looking out for their results more than anybody else's.

Archived