Darren Bent - joined Burton on loan

Stripperg-ram

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Charlie Dram said:

What's with the Burton love in? Wish Bent all the best and that's as far as it goes. Burton Albion = nothing to me. They got a bit big for their boots last season. Hope they go back to where they came from and never resurface.

Why would you hope that?  If they are nothing to you, then surely it's all the same to you whether they get relegated or survive

A bit big for their boots?  What, like Huddersfield or Bournemouth?

If you sincerely dislike Burton Albion then state the reason why or keep your venom to yourself, don't act coy like you don't care while dumping on them

1 hour ago, Charlie Dram said:

What's with the Burton love in? Wish Bent all the best and that's as far as it goes. Burton Albion = nothing to me. They got a bit big for their boots last season. Hope they go back to where they came from and never resurface.

Growing up listening to Radio Derby reporting on Burton Albion from the Northern Premier League (I think they later switched to the Southern version) I developed a soft spot for them that I've always retained. A tremendous achievement to have reached the Championship. Hope Benty scores the goals to keep them there.

15 hours ago, mice_elf said:

I'll see your Mikkel Beck and raise you a Bjorn Otto Bragstad :-

Signed for 3 million Euro in July 2000 on the back of some decent performances 
for Norway at Euro 2000. Left on a Free Transfer in January 2003 after just 12
appearances. Not since the days of Mick Coop have I seen a defender so inept.

Mikkel Beck cost £630k from Middlesborough in July 1999, and left for £315k a year
later in July 2000 (source Transfermarkt) having scored 2 goals in 18 Premier League
appearances, so at least he wasn't a complete write-off.

Still have nightmares about bragstad.......total dross. I remember watching him get pulled all over the park vs Charlton at home, one of the worst defensive performances I've seen from a derby player!

Don't get the negativity towards bent. Decent pro who's bagged plenty of goals for us. Sure he's on a fair wage and doesn't suit our style but that's not his fault.

Good luck to him I hope he puts himself in the shop window. I doubt he and clough are going to see eye to eye but it's a chance to get first team footy!

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Growing up listening to Radio Derby reporting on Burton Albion from the Northern Premier League (I think they later switched to the Southern version) I developed a soft spot for them that I've always retained. A tremendous achievement to have reached the Championship. Hope Benty scores the goals to keep them there.

Voice of reason as ever @Carl Sagan and I echo your thoughts and sentiments. My football career reached the dizzy heights of Burton Albion Reserves at the time Mr Warnock was manager and Albion were in the Northern Premier League. I played at Eton Park a few times and was a crossbar's width away from scoring in my first game. Back then, if someone had said Albion will play Derby in a League match in a few years I would have laughed very heartily.

I applaud the partnership working that has gone on between messrs Rowett, Clough, Morris and Robinson to bring this about...may it be a beacon of cooperation in the backdrop of the usual shark-infested wider football waters. Football's too important to be allowed to become a sham of a game played by corporate tycoons.

I wish Darren Bent the very best. He has been a brilliant pro and a credit to Derby County. Always has time for the fans and always is a very pleasant and rounded individual. He is no Prima Donna despite his very lofty football credentials. He will get goals for Burton Albion...that is as certain as the sun rising tomorrow. All the very best DB...go and have a few last gallops. 

7 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

They had a great subbuteo team. I remember kneeling on the centre forward which is a bad omen for DB but I really hope he scores the winner against Villa.

Did you book yourself for serious foul play or just give yourself a good ticking off? :mellow:

11 hours ago, Charlie Dram said:

Not a Clough fan but I wish Burton no ill.

Outstanding achievement to become a football league club, let alone be playing in the championship ?

Hooefully Darren will get them a few goals thereby taking points off those who are challenging for promotion and keep Burton up too

14 hours ago, r_wilcockson said:

Delighted to join @officialburtonalbionon loan till the end of the season. Big challenge, can’t wait to get going. Want to say a big thank you to everyone @dcfcofficial for the past 3 years, from the fans , players , medical department, coaching staff, Rams tv and the people you don’t hear about from the ladies in the canteen , Davo the kit man, Adam storer, ladies in the wash room you all were responsible for making my time there Amazing, I wish you all the best and hope you get the promotion the club deserves, ??✌? What a guy ☺️

5 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Voice of reason as ever @Carl Sagan and I echo your thoughts and sentiments. My football career reached the dizzy heights of Burton Albion Reserves at the time Mr Warnock was manager and Albion were in the Northern Premier League. I played at Eton Park a few times and was a crossbar's width away from scoring in my first game. Back then, if someone had said Albion will play Derby in a League match in a few years I would have laughed very heartily.

I applaud the partnership working that has gone on between messrs Rowett, Clough, Morris and Robinson to bring this about...may it be a beacon of cooperation in the backdrop of the usual shark-infested wider football waters. Football's too important to be allowed to become a sham of a game played by corporate tycoons.

I wish Darren Bent the very best. He has been a brilliant pro and a credit to Derby County. Always has time for the fans and always is a very pleasant and rounded individual. He is no Prima Donna despite his very lofty football credentials. He will get goals for Burton Albion...that is as certain as the sun rising tomorrow. All the very best DB...go and have a few last gallops. 

I would say those were impressively dizzy heights indeed (seriouusly)! You and young Mason both a crossbar's width away from a debut goal - what might have been.

If it's not been done before, we should have a thread in The Pub for what level forum people have played at.

42 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I would say those were impressively dizzy heights indeed (seriouusly)! You and young Mason both a crossbar's width away from a debut goal - what might have been.

If it's not been done before, we should have a thread in The Pub for what level forum people have played at.

I once played at 1500 m above sea level.

17 hours ago, Charlie Dram said:

I’ve always considered Burton like a little brother, and us the more successful big brother. 

So they’ve been having a bit of success recently, I’m oleased for them. 

But last season they let it get to their heads a bit, and tried to get a bit of attention from Mum. 

Never mind, allow them their moment in the sun, it can’t be easy being our little brother. 

Anyway, if we’re in the premier league next season, and burton stay up, we’ll miss the forest games. So we can all support burton in their games against forest instead. 

As long as they’re in a different league to us, a normal relationship can resume, without their being any sibling rivalry. 

(Also, it helps that I live just down the road from Burton, and my daughter’s first game was actually a play off semi final in Burton, so I’ve got a bit of a soft spot). 

I look out for bucko, brayford and co but couldn't really give a monkees about burton.

the chairman isn't very nice but probably very few are.

And their fans were a bit gobby last year which killed any lingering chance of romance.

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 23:28, 86 points said:

Let's hope so. Mr Bent is still more than capable of doing a decent job at Championship level plenty of us would like to see Burton consolidate their position in the div. I'd be pretty confident he will get you goals and given his career, talent and time of footballing life, it'll be good to seeing him playing games. He should be fresh as a daisy and without having anything to prove to anybody, I suspect he'll pretty pretty fired up ;)

Can I ask though, the peanuts Burton are paying - what;s the figure? I've not seen any numbers quoted. 

Also the 'repairing damage' thing - do you mean Clough or something else? I'm a quarter-fan and poorly informed as a consequence and as a result I'm not aware of any bad feeling between the clubs. Genuine question :thumbsup:

As for Darren, 40 starts for England across all age groups for his country and a ton of goals across his career leave him with little to prove to anyone. And, he's got an amazing trainer collection. Good luck to him and Burton. If he can take a few points of our promotion rivals and help keep you in the division then I'd venture that'd be grand!

salmon.jpeg

to be fair 86P I've not seen any figures either, just foolishly assumed we're poor as paupers. Having said that, the more I think about it the more I think it may be hefty chunk. We sold Matty Palmer (c200k fee plus c3k a week wages), we loaned out Matty Lund and Stephen Warnock (2k for Lund, 4k for Warnock??) and we sent back Scannell (4k), connor Ripley (2k), Joe Mason 4k. Plus we're working on a couple more outs, so UNLESS we've got another couple of biggish signings coming in the major outlay is on Bent. 

It's total guesswork pal :-) but you might have just shifted around 20k off your wage bill. Which by BAFC standards would be Messi-esque but he keeps up that c400k in wages would be well worth the gamble.

The damage? I'm talking purely about the sacking, led by Rush but I'm sure Mel had more than a part to play, inevitable that brings a bit of a grudge to both sides, i'll be happy if its put to bed through the close relationship Gary and NC have, no reason for any of the Clough's to keep hold of a grudge with Derby and no reason for Derby to stay "fallen out" with the Cloughs either.

Archived