Today's ref

Carnero

Too cool for school?

I liked the way he kept putting his hands on his hips, even if he did fail to thrust on occasion.

If he could blow the whistle a bit harder, so that we can actually hear it, then I wouldn't be surprised to see him reffing the champions league final in a year or two.

Lee Probert.

Remember the name.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee Probert, been around years...... premier league ref..... naturally got on and was affable with the players..... let play run nicely.....

Could see Nugent taking the mickey out if him and his Lino (suggesting they were twins) you could see him laughing and joking along with it.

Top official, was out the game for a bit too..... 

Thought he was weak - appeared to be easily swayed into changing his decisions by the players.

On the subject of referees, I watched the Roma v Cagliari match earlier where they are using the VAR system. The ref booked a Roma player for diving in the penalty area, was then persuaded to consult VAR, changed his mind and awarded Roma a penalty. They missed it - one of the worst I've seen in ages.

Can see some fun when this is introduced here.

Early on I thought that he let a couple of shirt pulls and challenges go without yellows when he should have booked players, but as the game progressed he treated both teams the same and was consistent. An important game that could easily have developed into a niggly game. The fact it didn't was due to his good refereeing. I thought he did very well.

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Thought he was weak - appeared to be easily swayed into changing his decisions by the players.

On the subject of referees, I watched the Roma v Cagliari match earlier where they are using the VAR system. The ref booked a Roma player for diving in the penalty area, was then persuaded to consult VAR, changed his mind and awarded Roma a penalty. They missed it - one of the worst I've seen in ages.

Can see some fun when this is introduced here.

thought the lino on my side (SWU-west side) was a bit wussy waited for the ref to tell him.

16 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Good honest ref, bravo.

I didn't think he was anything special. The Asst. ref on the West Stand side flagged the ball out first half when it wasn't and Forsyth was attacking nicely.

Ref also "bought" a few free kicks when they clearly weren't. He also gave us a corner when it wasn't.

So on wrong decisions, I'd say he was quite average / ordinary. Could have been worse though. 

10 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Early on I thought that he let a couple of shirt pulls and challenges go without yellows when he should have booked players, but as the game progressed he treated both teams the same and was consistent. An important game that could easily have developed into a niggly game. The fact it didn't was due to his good refereeing. I thought he did very well.

Agreed. Weimann should have been booked for his attempt to bring down I think onomah in midfield earlish on, but it’s good to see people complimenting a good refereeing performance. As shown in the Neville and Carragher documentary on sky about the officials, it’s a very tough job. 

Archived