This Kris Commons Interview

therealhantsram

Slapping a contract down in front of a player that asks them to take a pay cut and explaining it to the player as "we'd have more money to make us better" doesn't seem like great management to me :ermm:

But I only comment as its something I'd not heard about before - I'm not interested in persistent Clough bashing, he's long gone.

I like Commons' comments on Savage, supported what I think about him and happy to hear it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, David said:

That great guys who are funny are not always great footballers? :whistle:

(Talking from experience)

I mean, I'm certainly not talking up Savage's footballing ability (when he played for us) - I was young at the time but I just remember laughing at him sprinting in triangles as their defenders passed it to each other.

It's more that you hear a lot of things from fans and the like that he's a **** and not a nice guy - always assumed they're just projecting their dislike for him and it seems that's true.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Slapping a contract down in front of a player that asks them to take a pay cut and explaining it to the player as "we'd have more money to make us better" doesn't seem like great management to me :ermm:

But I only comment as its something I'd not heard about before - I'm not interested in persistent Clough bashing, he's long gone.

I like Commons' comments on Savage, supported what I think about him and happy to hear it.

Is it though? It was public knowledge he had severe budget restraints to work under. In fact it's usually the thing he get's praised for most – bringing the wage bill down (while keeping us up).

I'd say it's standard negotiation practice. Go in low. Wait for the counter-offer. 

Plus, convincing the better players signed by Jewel on silly wages to take a cut was one of the few strategies he had.

4 hours ago, David said:

Nigel leaves, enter a man that is highly regarded for his coaching, the difference between the two sides was night and day.

As a fan what do you want, beers and cricket or days out at Wembley? 

Problem with McClaren was he was an incredible coach but not a good manager.

7 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Well that was pretty damning!! Good interview, Commons comes over well.

Seems Nigel was more similar in approach to Dad than I imagined. Good if you want someone to run a Sunday AM team...not someone who is going to improve a player. Wasn't even a biased 'I wasn't in the team so he's rubbish' job.

Be interested to see what the pro-Nigel brigade make of it. @ronnieronalde?

I'll try to watch it and let you know Chester. I'm on my phone and won't check the normal site at work. Has anyone posted a watchable link?

4 hours ago, Boycie said:

I could imagine Clough in training being a bit like the PE teacher in Kez *,

2uhsbhe.jpg

The Late, Great Brian Glover, Shakepearian actor, wrestler and voice-over impressario. He once said, "You play to your strengths in this game, and my strength is as a bald-headed, rough-looking Yorkshireman" . He attended Barnsley Grammar School and the University of Sheffield, where he supplemented his student grant with appearances as a professional wrestler, going under the ring name "Leon Arras the Man From Paris". They just don't make men like him anymore. Legend. RIP Brian Glover. :mellow:

* No surprise that Kes is Jake Buxton's favourite film. 

3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Its amazing how that doesn't seem like good management but when his dad does pretty much the same sort of thing all the time it is seen as genius.....I guess that's the luxury that success brings you.

1 hour ago, Dale The Ram said:

Problem with McClaren was he was an incredible coach but not a good manager.

If you’ve got a manager who puts on the most fun sessions where you play small sided games, attack v defence, and games where you’re constantly laughing ... is that a great coach ? To some it is.

Thats my impression of Mcclaren - that he had a relaxed group having fun playing free flowing ... but hardly trained on set pieces, how to pressure properly, defend as a unit, etc ? Things modern coaches must do. How to set up away from home versus a variety of teams for example. Exploiting opposition tendencies etc. He never played but one formation meaning he prob never coached another formation. He clearly didn’t seem to be coaching that. Then there’s Cloughie ... 

What Commons is saying is that Clough had cricket games and fun activities too but that he didn’t know how to coach set pieces or didn’t want to and that he didn’t ever improve a player - contrasting to Rodgers and and the tactics and player improvement what he got at Celtic. 

My hope here is that our current manager has the attributes: improving players, sorting formations tactics set pieces and encouraging free flowing football but preparing for each team differently / is like to think we’ve got in GR the best in a long time ... and yes, he seems to be doing these things so far.

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Its amazing how that doesn't seem like good management but when his dad does pretty much the same sort of thing all the time it is seen as genius.....I guess that's the luxury that success brings you.

Success and timing i suppose.  Not convinced that BC style today would work given the need to manage millionaire super stars.  I will now go out and wash my mouth out with soap and water!

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

If you’ve got a manager who puts on the most fun sessions where you play small sided games, attack v defence, and games where you’re constantly laughing ... is that a great coach ? To some it is.

Thats my impression of Mcclaren - that he had a relaxed group having fun playing free flowing ... but hardly trained on set pieces, how to pressure properly, defend as a unit, etc ? Things modern coaches must do. How to set up away from home versus a variety of teams for example. Exploiting opposition tendencies etc. He never played but one formation meaning he prob never coached another formation. He clearly didn’t seem to be coaching that. Then there’s Cloughie ... 

What Commons is saying is that Clough had cricket games and fun activities too but that he didn’t know how to coach set pieces or didn’t want to and that he didn’t ever improve a player - contrasting to Rodgers and and the tactics and player improvement what he got at Celtic. 

My hope here is that our current manager has the attributes: improving players, sorting formations tactics set pieces and encouraging free flowing football but preparing for each team differently / is like to think we’ve got in GR the best in a long time ... and yes, he seems to be doing these things so far.

Definitely

All thats ever been said of McClaren is that he is just a coach, hence why he was Head Coach here. I think McClaren did improve players but often as you stated just to become better at free flowing football.

Rowett seems a strange one, good manager definitely but he coaches his team to be one unit and some may say thats not propper coaching.

I know nothing about football especially on coaching but I would say that Rowett has the best of both worlds and just needs time to put his stamp on us.

34 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

Definitely

All thats ever been said of McClaren is that he is just a coach, hence why he was Head Coach here. I think McClaren did improve players but often as you stated just to become better at free flowing football.

Rowett seems a strange one, good manager definitely but he coaches his team to be one unit and some may say thats not propper coaching.

I know nothing about football especially on coaching but I would say that Rowett has the best of both worlds and just needs time to put his stamp on us.

Right ... but there’s one positive key element that is giving Rowett away: The players in that group of 18 all seem to be increasing their market value ... Vydra Nugent Winnall Baird Hudds Ledley Keogh Carson Weimann especially  ... so however he’s doing it he’s making our players better more valuable players. (Contrarily, Mcclaren pretty much ignored Vydra and forced him to the wing or benched him. He couldn’t adapt a side to the toolset he had. In that sense he was a poor coach.) 

One thing I don’t see and only see from top coaches is that when we pass eg. move the ball across the back it’s still sloppy basic technique so Rowetts eye for Pep-like detail may be limited but in terms of decision making and fitting proper roles for players he has instilled that and maximised the talent that’s already there. Plus his recruitment has been very diligent.

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

Right ... but there’s one positive key element that is giving Rowett away: The players in that group of 18 all seem to be increasing their market value ... Vydra Nugent Winnall Baird Hudds Ledley Keogh Carson Weimann especially  ... so however he’s doing it he’s making our players better more valuable players. (Contrarily, Mcclaren pretty much ignored Vydra and forced him to the wing or benched him. He couldn’t adapt a side to the toolset he had. In that sense he was a poor coach.) 

One thing I don’t see and only see from top coaches is that when we pass eg. move the ball across the back it’s still sloppy basic technique so Rowetts eye for Pep-like detail may be limited but in terms of decision making and fitting proper roles for players he has instilled that and maximised the talent that’s already there. Plus his recruitment has been very diligent.

I would say that from your list the only one w ho has increased his market value is Ledley, because he cost nothing....the rest haven't.

13 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I would say that from your list the only one w ho has increased his market value is Ledley, because he cost nothing....the rest haven't.

I can’t agree with that Vydra has probably maintained or increased his, wieman could turn out to be a proper asset rather than a millstone, Martin Carson Keogh have considerable value alongside the profitability of Russell, Bryson and maybe Lawrence to name but a few

25 minutes ago, Ninos said:

GR "Just sign anywhere Kief...anywhere in the building will do...Nah...don't worry about get tin' your signature in that box ...that's nuffink".

Kief "Ok Gary, I'll juscch schine nextsct to where it schays "null & void unlesch schined in the boxsch". ?

Good interview - a couple of interesting points

1) the admits the only reason he ever signed for us was because they'd lost the baby and he wanted his partner to stay in the area with the family and didn't want to spend time away from her. Complete serendipity. A tragedy for them and we were lucky to have him - likewise he may never have ended up at Celtic if he'd not been forced out at Derby

2) the Clough pay-cut thing is notable because he does quietly clarify later that it was a pay-cut with bonuses attached instead. Which seems fair enough in one respect, but also indicative of the financial pressures that NC had to deal with. Having to try and convince your best player to stay and take part of his salary in bonuses is a tough sell

13 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Well that was pretty damning!! Good interview, Commons comes over well.

Seems Nigel was more similar in approach to Dad than I imagined. Good if you want someone to run a Sunday AM team...not someone who is going to improve a player. Wasn't even a biased 'I wasn't in the team so he's rubbish' job.

Be interested to see what the pro-Nigel brigade make of it. @ronnieronalde?

Enjoyed parts of it obviously not hugely complimentary towards NC's coaching and I can't argue against his comments cos I can imagine NC doing it exactly as he said.

Some parts of it very funny and he came across as if he was being fairly honest.

What can I say, I'm not going to start slating the lad for having those views perhaps NC is really old school but of course I don't mind that.

i enjoyed a lot of good moments while kris was in the derby side, the fact he doesn't rate NC's coaching is an opinion he's entitled to.

just as a slight attempt to soften the stigma I listened to Paul Merson talking about Martin Keown and the other great Arsenal centre halfs and how they literally each took responsibiliy for a man in the box if that player scored it was their fault.

maybe old school but difficult to argue it's not perfect common sense.

Archived