This Kris Commons Interview

therealhantsram

14 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Enjoyed parts of it obviously not hugely complimentary towards NC's coaching and I can't argue against his comments cos I can imagine NC doing it exactly as he said.

Some parts of it very funny and he came across as if he was being fairly honest.

What can I say, I'm not going to start slating the lad for having those views perhaps NC is really old school but of course I don't mind that.

i enjoyed a lot of good moments while kris was in the derby side, the fact he doesn't rate NC's coaching is an opinion he's entitled to.

just as a slight attempt to soften the stigma I listened to Paul Merson talking about Martin Keown and the other great Arsenal centre halfs and how they literally each took responsibiliy for a man in the box if that player scored it was their fault.

maybe old school but difficult to argue it's not perfect common sense.

Absolutely. Which clever barsteward came up with "zonal marking" and is anybody prepared to argue in favour of it? Go on, I double dare you. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

What can I say, I'm not going to start slating the lad for having those views perhaps NC is really old school but of course I don't mind that.

i enjoyed a lot of good moments while kris was in the derby side, the fact he doesn't rate NC's coaching is an opinion he's entitled to.

just as a slight attempt to soften the stigma I listened to Paul Merson talking about Martin Keown and the other great Arsenal centre halfs and how they literally each took responsibiliy for a man in the box if that player scored it was their fault.

maybe old school but difficult to argue it's not perfect common sense.

As ever, a considered reply. Always enjoy your posts.

My only observation would be that Tony Pulis, Big Sam, Neil Warnock...definitely 'old school' managers but they would work like mad on set pieces.

45 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. Which clever barsteward came up with "zonal marking" and is anybody prepared to argue in favour of it? Go on, I double dare you. 

Ella not going to argue for or against it both work if its played right  Tell you somebody who has played zonal and successfully is Benitez six seasons at Liverpool and got Newcastle promoted doing it  As Jamie Carragher says in his book zonal has never scored a goal 

18 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Ella not going to argue for or against it both work if its played right  Tell you somebody who has played zonal and successfully is Benitez six seasons at Liverpool and got Newcastle promoted doing it  As Jamie Carragher says in his book zonal has never scored a goal 

Thanks Mistaram. I'm sure there are many expert proponents, far more qualified than me by knowledge and experience alone. But like Sir BC and NC, I myself think football is quite a simple game really, 11 v 11, and am highly sceptical of that school of thought that try to obfuscate by reference to manuals and theory. Defending a set-piece is not rocket science, and anybody referring to trigonometry to get their defensive angles right is Barking up the wrong tree. :mellow:

54 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

As ever, a considered reply. Always enjoy your posts.

My only observation would be that Tony Pulis, Big Sam, Neil Warnock...definitely 'old school' managers but they would work like mad on set pieces.

...but that's a Charles Hughes1 thing from way back. It's known as the "percentage game". Hoof it; get forward and look for set-plays in and around the defensive area. Score 1 goal from a set-piece then park the bus. 

1. Charles Hughes (born 28 July 1929) was the director of FA coaching for the Football Association. He authored the FA's official coaching manual and was an early developer of long ball tactics. Hughes presented his ideas in the now defunct magazine Match Analysis and concluded most goals were scored from three passes or fewer, therefore it was important to get the ball quickly forward as soon as possible. He based this analysis on over one hundred games at all levels, including games involving Liverpool F.C. and the Brazilian national team, as well as many England Youth games. His ideals were developed from those previously developed by World War II Wing Commander Charles Reep. From his statistical analysis, Hughes emphasized the importance of particular areas of the field from where goals were most often scored. He called these areas the 'POMO' - Positions Of Maximum Opportunity - and asserted that players would score if the ball was played into the 'POMO' enough times. He stressed the importance of set plays and crosses into the penalty area.Many British coaches advocated his long-ball philosophy but critics have derided his philosophy for encouraging a generation of players who lack basic technical skills and understanding of different tactical playing strategies.

MMMMmmmm...familiar?  :mellow:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-learning-to-live-with-footballs-bogeyman-dave-hadfield-lived-next-door-to-charles-hughes-1376088.html

Source: Wikipedia

Simon Ferry, the interviewer, is a player in the Scottish 3rd division. He started at Celtic but moved down south to Swindon and Portsmouth. 

He was on Radio Scotland a few weeks ago speaking about his interviews. He feels because he is a fellow player, then his guests will open up a bit more and he's aiming for "down the pub chat" with his guests. 

It's very Scottish centric, but he's got McFadden, Macavenie, Barry Ferguson, Mulgrew and a few others on YouTube. 

I thought Commons came across well. 

Must admit, even for me, Simon's accent really grates after a while. 

I love a bit of clough bashing, however what he did last season with Burton was a remarkable achievement.  Maybe he has learned, maybe his style more akin to Burton rather then Derby however was is not in doubt is that in the right environment he can exceed all expectations.

Also not sure when fans came such a good judge of what is a good coach or manager, Steve Mac has given Middlesbrough their only piece of meaningful silverware and taken them to a  Euro final, and then taking Wolfsburg to a first league title.  Sure he has failed at clubs, as most managers have, wonder if that’s when he becomes a coach again ?

28 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I love a bit of clough bashing, however what he did last season with Burton was a remarkable achievement.  Maybe he has learned, maybe his style more akin to Burton rather then Derby however was is not in doubt is that in the right environment he can exceed all expectations.

Also not sure when fans came such a good judge of what is a good coach or manager, Steve Mac has given Middlesbrough their only piece of meaningful silverware and taken them to a  Euro final, and then taking Wolfsburg to a first league title.  Sure he has failed at clubs, as most managers have, wonder if that’s when he becomes a coach again ?

Sorry to be pedantic but Mac bombed at Wolfsburg but did well in Holland. Fair point though - Boro and Twente should be chuffed he turned up for them. 

14 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Thanks Mistaram. I'm sure there are many expert proponents, far more qualified than me by knowledge and experience alone. But like Sir BC and NC, I myself think football is quite a simple game really, 11 v 11, and am highly sceptical of that school of thought that try to obfuscate by reference to manuals and theory. Defending a set-piece is not rocket science, and anybody referring to trigonometry to get their defensive angles right is Barking up the wrong tree:mellow:

Sine of the times I'm afraid. ....

....sorry - went off on a tangent,  cos I could :lol:

17 hours ago, Ellafella said:

When a goal is conceded through zonal-marking it’s the system that’s blamed. When a goal is conceded through man-marking it’s a specific player’s fault.

Archived