This Kris Commons Interview

therealhantsram

Quite a big portion of the interview discussing his time at Derby.  Very insightful re. the Clough area. In my opinion... some of it pretty damning.

Topics covered...

• Details of contract negotiations before he moved to Celtic... being asked to take  a pay cut... and even the fact that Clough did the contract negotiations with players directly.
  • How he enjoyed being at Derby and didn't want to move... made it sound like he enjoyed it because he was able to just coast along for a couple of years
  • How Clough is a good manager but really poor coach.  Talks about when he got proper coaching under Lenon at Celtic and the difference it made.
  • Playing Cricket in DCFC training sessions
  • Savage, Bywater and other players

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't want to work on set pieces, pre season cricket with beers and a BBQ, now we know why it took so long to climb the league!  

The contract bit was interesting, seen a couple of interviews with Commons recently this is the first he's spoke in detail, being collared without his agent and offered a deal on less money so he could go sign other players. Believable with Savage's new contract. Always two sides though.

14 minutes ago, David said:

Didn't want to work on set pieces, pre season cricket with beers and a BBQ, now we know why it took so long to climb the league!  

The contract bit was interesting, seen a couple of interviews with Commons recently this is the first he's spoke in detail, being collared without his agent and offered a deal on less money so he could go sign other players. Believable with Savage's new contract. Always two sides though.

Offensive or defensive?

Because we were absolutely horrendous at defending set-pieces - it was a goal conceded every other game at its worst.

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

Offensive or defensive?

Because we were absolutely horrendous at defending set-pieces - it was a goal conceded every other game at its worst.

Defending, Barker was looking for some coaching as we were on a poor run, instead got a sarcastic set piece drill, he's your man, he's yours, he's yours, if they score it's your fault. 

Watch the interview, soon gets into Derby talk

Well that was pretty damning!! Good interview, Commons comes over well.

Seems Nigel was more similar in approach to Dad than I imagined. Good if you want someone to run a Sunday AM team...not someone who is going to improve a player. Wasn't even a biased 'I wasn't in the team so he's rubbish' job.

Be interested to see what the pro-Nigel brigade make of it. @ronnieronalde?

I hope this doesn't turn into yet another clough bashing thread.

commons comments are not a lot different from will hughes comments about the tactical coaching he got from marco silva but not at Derby. So does that mean Rowett, mcclaren and and the multitude of coaches we have are rubbish too?

so we had a game of cricket in pre-season. Its evident that kris commons and other players enjoyed it and it presumably helped team spirit.

It’s ok saying the players enjoyed it, I’m sure they did, sounds great, team spirit is important as are these bonding sessions to a certain extent.

But there is some pretty damning stuff in there, Commons pretty much said Clough is a great manager, poor coach. Example being the Barker story.

Nigel leaves, enter a man that is highly regarded for his coaching, the difference between the two sides was night and day.

As a fan what do you want, beers and cricket or days out at Wembley? 

Alex Ferguson wasn’t known for his coaching ability, just a great manager but surrounded himself with top coaches which a large part of his success is down to.

Loyalty is a great quality to have, but remaining loyal to those that may hinder your success can be seen as foolish.

Listening to this interview as a Burton fan would worry me with them on a 7 game losing streak at home, do they have the knowhow to turn it around or is the old school “sort it out lads” I’m off to get my cricket pads, I’ll bowl first enough?

ever bump into any Derby player during the Clough years, and they'd gladly say the same thing. They loved Nigel and wanted to do well for him (on the whole), but thought the coaches, mainly Crosby and Garner, were absolutely useless. In terms of football, are you only as good as your weakest link?

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I hope this doesn't turn into yet another clough bashing thread.

commons comments are not a lot different from will hughes comments about the tactical coaching he got from marco silva but not at Derby. So does that mean Rowett, mcclaren and and the multitude of coaches we have are rubbish too?

so we had a game of cricket in pre-season. Its evident that kris commons and other players enjoyed it and it presumably helped team spirit.

You have no chance of this not being a Clough bashing thread.

The usual suspects will be salivating at this opportunity.

Archived