January Sales

Poynton ram

It can't be long before rumours start to surface about other teams being interested in players, with the Jan window opening soon.

With Vydra on fire at the moment if a lower league prem side showed some interest what fee would we want should we decide to sell?

Would not want to see him go but I guess every player has his price

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No on Vyds - Don’t think he’s quite proven himself PL ready yet but if it continues to tear the league up then he will be back in the premier league either with us or the team that buys him off us in the summer. All the following could be sold if an offer comes :

Russell (don’t think he’s too chuffed sitting)

martin (as above)

shackell olsson anya - all frozen out will be shopped around

Weimann 

pearce (if an offer comes)

ledley (will prob choose between us and Sunderland)

cardiff will want to make bryso perm I bet (we will prob resist)

butterfield to Hudd if both teams agree (we won’t resist)

same for maccabi and Blackman 

wouldnt be surprised to see offers for both Thomas and Elsnik too ... The former’s performances I’m sure haven’t gone unnoticed by top scouts

Shacks is happy sitting out his contract, so he can try get an MLS move in the summer to keep his mrs happy.
I dont think we are looking to buy anyone, other than nail down Ledley in january.

Rowetts priorty is still getting people out, so that we have a smaller squad of veteren professionals, and we have good options in the U23s to make sub bench occasionally.

50 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I wonder if Sheffield United fans are having the same discussion about Leon Clarke.

Who would want to buy a 32 yr old who has never scored so much before in his entire career. When he gets injured that will be his season over. He is doing a Blackman, he got 11 goals for Reading in a very quick time. Then some mug went out and bought him.

10 minutes ago, Ninos said:

No on Vyds - Don’t think he’s quite proven himself PL ready yet but if it continues to tear the league up then he will be back in the premier league either with us or the team that buys him off us in the summer. All the following could be sold if an offer comes :

martin (as above)

Weimann 

wouldnt be surprised to see offers for both Thomas and Elsnik too ... The former’s performances I’m sure haven’t gone unnoticed by top scouts

Cardiff have Bryson on a season long loan, they don't need to lay out any more money on him until they know where they'll be next season.

Why does a Prem club want Butterfield?

20 minutes ago, Ninos said:

martin (as above)

Weimann 

Sell Anya, Russell and Weimann? May as well loan Lawrence while we're at it.

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

Shacks is happy sitting out his contract, so he can try get an MLS move in the summer to keep his mrs happy.
I dont think we are looking to buy anyone, other than nail down Ledley in january.

Rowetts priorty is still getting people out, so that we have a smaller squad of veteren professionals, and we have good options in the U23s to make sub bench occasionally.

Wouldn't be surprised if Shackell goes to MLS in January if that's the case, their seasons start in Spring so January is a good time to join a side.

I expect Olsson, Bent and Anya to go out as panic buys otherwise. The likes of Birmingham have a bit to spend but somehow managed to  buy rubbish, they'd improve them massively. Bents goals could easily keep a bad club up.

We probably have five or six too many players and squad cohesion and having a closely knit team spirit is as important as having so many different options (if not more so). But Vydra has already won Championship Player of the Season once and he might do it again so I would be very keen to keep him. I think he has the ability to score in the Prem as do the Watford fans who wish they had him playing in their current team.

I'd sell any of the senior players out on loan or not really in contention by which I mean Anya, Blackman, Bent, Pearce, Shackell, Olsson, Butterfield and probably even Bryson. If the right offers came in I'd listen to them for one of Weimann or Russell. Of the two I'd rather keep Johnny.

But I don't expect January to be busy. We will try to keep Ledley and we might sell one of the above.

Vydra isn't going anywhere - case closed. 

I'd imagine Anya, Shackell and possibly Olsson are definitely leaving.

If we can sign Winnall, I can see the club loaning out or paying up Bent's contract. 

Johnny Russell is an odd one, I think the club talking to him over a new deal is a smoke screen. I can see us not agreeing terms and him leaving for around a million pounds. Which wouldn't he a bad deal. 

Incomings will depend on out goings. But if that half a dozen go we need possibly another wide player. I like Ledley but we still need a bit more mobility and youthfulness in midfield so I'd imagine a tough tackling midfield is high on the agenda.

If it was me I'd look for a left back.. in my own personal opinion Forsyth is dire. Every goals we've conceded recently has been his side or his fault. Especially when you see the strength of Wisdom and Baird on the other side. 

I'd possibly look at a young centre half if we are being greedy. 

No doubt there are 4 or 5 available, the question is whether we can find a taker. Wouldn't expect massive incomings, maybe one extra bit of class if possible in an attacking area and tie up Joe if possible.

Who goes depends on us receiving offers and what paper loss we are likely to accept for Anya for example. And how long others have or have not on contracts .. It's going to be interesting to see if we manage to reduce some numbers / costs allowing Gary to recruit.

we might be short of a midfielder but there is the core of a team already on the books and some youth to bring through. 

i would want Pearce to stay as he is a solid back up in case of injury. 

Of course all this changes if we are knocking on the door of the autos after Christmas and Mel starts to see a real possibility of a Prem paycheque. 

Archived